: Note on WFM heat exchanger

kencav
07-11-09, 02:50 AM
Had heat exchanger installed and works great. It goes just in back of lower front grill but has to be mounted off center. You can obviosly see it thru grill (it is silver) and it may look awkward to some. I would recomend painting it black before install- we did that and it is not noticable

neuronbob
07-11-09, 06:55 AM
Picture?

kencav
07-11-09, 10:49 AM
When I get home taking some pictures will be a priority!:yup:

aceofblitz
07-11-09, 10:59 AM
Would be awesome if it was coated in black ceramic thermal dispersant.

kencav
07-11-09, 11:05 AM
agreed

RogersV
07-11-09, 12:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "WFM" and what are we dissipating heat from? TIA :brainfart:

kencav
07-11-09, 12:22 PM
WFM is Wait For Me Performance, ie Jesse Bubb, one of our supporting vendors- one of his products which is a secondary cooling reservior.

A heat exchanger mounted low in the front grill is very similar to a small radiator. Coolant flows separately from the main engine cooling system and circulates internally through the intercooler beneath the supercharger.

While the factory supercharger cooling system is adequate in stock configuration, it struggles to keep up with the multitude of popular modifications that not only deliver more power, but also increase the stress and strain on the engine.

To combat the power loss by excessive heat build up in the supercharger and intake system, Jesse provided us wth this mod

RogersV
07-11-09, 01:56 PM
WFM is Wait For Me Performance, ie Jesse Bubb, one of our supporting vendors- one of his products which is a secondary cooling reservior.

A heat exchanger mounted low in the front grill is very similar to a small radiator. Coolant flows separately from the main engine cooling system and circulates internally through the intercooler beneath the supercharger.

While the factory supercharger cooling system is adequate in stock configuration, it struggles to keep up with the multitude of popular modifications that not only deliver more power, but also increase the stress and strain on the engine.

To combat the power loss by excessive heat build up in the supercharger and intake system, Jesse provided us wth this mod

Kencav, thanks for the info. Don't we already have a separate cooling system cooling the blower, and if so is Jesse's cooler larger to replace our stock one or is his being installed in series with our stock unit to increase cooling?

kencav
07-11-09, 02:06 PM
Kencav, thanks for the info. Don't we already have a separate cooling system cooling the blower, and if so is Jesse's cooler larger to replace our stock one or is his being installed in series with our stock unit to increase cooling?

RV- it is in fact being installed in series with our stock unit to increase cooling- placed behind lower grill and tied into stock system

ctsv5005
07-11-09, 04:11 PM
Kencav- amazing info that you provide us. just a question. if you have intercooler, there is going to be less hp loss if your boost is increased correct? so if i ask you a car with high boost and stock intercooler vs a car with high boost and upgraded intercooler, results?? thanks.

qictrk
07-11-09, 07:02 PM
Would painting it cut down on the cooling? Cecil..........

musclesbmf
07-11-09, 07:53 PM
Kencav- amazing info that you provide us. just a question. if you have intercooler, there is going to be less hp loss if your boost is increased correct? so if i ask you a car with high boost and stock intercooler vs a car with high boost and upgraded intercooler, results?? thanks.

These cars do not have an air to air intercooler like a turbo buick or supercharged car with ATI procharger, etc. It is an air to water system and the intercooler is actually integrated into the intake. So, there is no upgraded intercooler per se.
In an air to air system, the longer the piping between the turbo/supercharger and the intercooler and intake, the more boost loss you can see.
On our cars, this upgrade is a larger heat exchanger (supercharger radiator) in order to keep it cooler and not get heat soaked so quickly. A hot blower = less power.

Hope that helps,
Mark

vperl
07-11-09, 08:25 PM
Is this part that is added on........ is it being attached to the " air charge cooler " ? off the blower

RapidRob
07-11-09, 11:14 PM
Would painting it cut down on the cooling? Cecil..........

This is a very good question! I'm no expert - but common sense sort of tells me that if you paint the air to coolant interactive surfaces, you will be decreasing the efficiency of the cooling process substantially. Exactly how much the efficiency is decreased probably depends on what type of material is used for paint.

Rob

kencav
07-11-09, 11:22 PM
To try to answer questons - heat exchanger tries to sustain hp on the street, not increase it as already explained by Muscle Bound- simply helps with heat soak

Yes painting would decrease this- not using a heavier coating- will only be able to subjectively evaluate effect

Would love to have Jesse chime in on this

musclesbmf
07-12-09, 12:51 PM
Lets get some pics of the usnit please :-)

Thanks,
Mark