: How often does your Nav GPS lose lock?

carter's_sts
07-10-09, 09:48 PM
I'm wondering how often your GPS loses lock in your STS. Mine seems to lose it (GPS with the line through it on the Nav screen) every once in a while.

It does in the garage, of course, but that makes sense. But sometimes it loses lock when I have a wide open view to the sky. It's not that often, but it might last for a few minutes when it does happen.

I'm wondering if I have an intermittent problem or if this is just normal for the Nav system. I don't have anything on the dash at all. I know the GPS antenna is there. It's to the right of the light sensor.

Thanks.

MacMuse
07-10-09, 10:15 PM
What part of the country are you in?

I see a dropout now and then in highly tree-lined areas and under overpasses, but it usually recovers in a few seconds.

carter's_sts
07-10-09, 11:25 PM
Northern Colorado. And I've had it happen on the open road, no trees, nothing. Not too often, but just random, nothing I could put my finger on.

Dougs06sts
07-11-09, 05:18 AM
If it happens for a few seconds once and a while (with a clear view of the sky in at least 2 directions), it's normal as long as it comes right back. If it goes out and stays out, you'll want to consider the effects of window tinting you may have added, or perhaps even something hanging from your rear view mirror. My GPS stays locked on through tree lined roads normally and rarely looses signal. There are other threads that talk about GPS/radio interference caused by window tinting. From the posts I've read, I'd bet that's the most common problem.

Good luck !

~ Doug

mapmaker
07-11-09, 08:59 AM
Occational loss of GPS signal is normal. My job involves the use of GPS and GIS (Geographic Information System), so I have had many classroom sessions covering its use and implementation. There are multiple factors involved and the signal can be affected by many factors. I also loose my XM signal in certain areas for no obvious reason.

I think the real problem here is unmet expectations. As with any system, automotive or otherwise, it is designed to function in a certain way but people get the idea that it will do more than it was designed to do. ACC is another example. I certainly wouldn't rely on it to bring my car to a complete stop and keep me from hitting another car in the rear. Most of the complaints that I've read on this forum about the Nav system come from people expecting too much out of it. Most of the add on units that I've seen have such small screens that they are practically useless visually.

I also have had people comment to me on the lack of updated information in the system. Comments like "The street I live on is not on my Nav screen." They don't understand how the systems were developed and where the data comes from. Most systems started by using the U.S. census bureau's map data (call TIGER) as their base. We are constantly sending the bureau new data, trying to help them update their system. And then there is the whole issue of the POI's. Data for this comes from other sources. The bottom line is, don't have unrealistic expectations and you won't be disappointed.

nguyendot
07-11-09, 01:50 PM
Well a realistic expectation is the ability to quickly and easily enter destination routes into the system, whether on the go or at a stop.

Any Garmin or other generic GPS can do this, and at a much faster rate. I can input a destination with 4 waypoints at a stoplight with a C330 (OLD unit). You can't even enter one in the STS' navigation. It is by far the worst implementation of an in car navigation. Disabling any modification except "Cancel Guidance" while driving is also ridiculous. What if you want your passenger to enter a destination? Bringing the car to a complete stop just to do that is a huge inconvenience not suffered on much cheaper GPS units.

carter's_sts
07-11-09, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. I don't have any aftermarket tint (on the car at all) or anything hanging from the mirror or anythng like that.

It's not me having my expectations too high; if it's normal, it's fine. I only want to make sure it's normal and not an intermittent GPS receiver or antenna, because if it is, I want to get it fixed before the warranty is up.

I have had it lose lock for a few seconds, but also (more rarely) a few minutes. One time in Wyoming, it lost it for about 9-10 minutes, with wide open sky on the highway. That's the longest time and I thoought that time was weird. That's what made me start paying attention to it.

Dadollac1
07-11-09, 02:02 PM
Mapmaker wrote:
I think the real problem here is unmet expectations. As with any system, automotive or otherwise, it is designed to function in a certain way but people get the idea that it will do more than it was designed to do. ACC is another example. I certainly wouldn't rely on it to bring my car to a complete stop and keep me from hitting another car in the rear. Most of the complaints that I've read on this forum about the Nav system come from people expecting too much out of it. Most of the add on units that I've seen have such small screens that they are practically useless visually.

I also have had people comment to me on the lack of updated information in the system. Comments like "The street I live on is not on my Nav screen." They don't understand how the systems were developed and where the data comes from. Most systems started by using the U.S. census bureau's map data (call TIGER) as their base. We are constantly sending the bureau new data, trying to help them update their system. And then there is the whole issue of the POI's. Data for this comes from other sources. The bottom line is, don't have unrealistic expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Well , I'm with mapmaker on this one.After learning and understanding my nav system I think it is pretty easy to use and just because I have to stop to feed it information doesn't make the system useless. Windot( If you feel that way buy yourself a lockpick).

nguyendot
07-11-09, 02:08 PM
You s hould not have to pay $200+ to hack a $2000+ option on a car. It should be made easy to use so that ANYONE can sit in the car and use the navigation system effectively. Garmin got it right. I can give a garmin to a 10 year old and have them input an address. Guarantee you even with the manual, a 10 year old could not operate the NAV in an STS. Cars are not meant to be complicated, they're meant to be a convenience (especially at a $60,000 price point). There is absolutely no reason the NAV needs to be as complicated as it is, considering it's price point.

Greg00coupe
07-13-09, 12:31 PM
I agree with the Garmin comments. Garmin is so much easier to use and much better AND cheaper!!! Driving down the road I need a gas station or restaurant. Hit that catagory and Garmin says near here route or destination. Then it lists every resturant in an extended radius. Pick one and the phone number comes up. When we travel thats how we make hotel reservations. We determine where we may be at the end of the day and call around the area.

I have no problem with it not working while driving. Drivers have enough distractions.
Plus with a garmin I can get it updated by pluggin it into my PC.

WillySTS
07-13-09, 02:14 PM
Well a realistic expectation is the ability to quickly and easily enter destination routes into the system, whether on the go or at a stop.

Any Garmin or other generic GPS can do this, and at a much faster rate. I can input a destination with 4 waypoints at a stoplight with a C330 (OLD unit). You can't even enter one in the STS' navigation. It is by far the worst implementation of an in car navigation. Disabling any modification except "Cancel Guidance" while driving is also ridiculous. What if you want your passenger to enter a destination? Bringing the car to a complete stop just to do that is a huge inconvenience not suffered on much cheaper GPS units.

I've seen a nuber of cars come through our body shop after a crash while the driver was fooling with the radio, let alone entering addresses in a nav. Just because YOU SAY you would let the passenger do it doesn't mean you won't distract yourself by fooling with the nav while driving...if you wanna do that, ...

next2pool
07-13-09, 03:26 PM
From what I read in the car mags, Honda seems to do the best overall with their nav systems as far as ease of use and functionality.

Dougs06sts
07-15-09, 01:39 AM
From what I read in the car mags, Honda seems to do the best overall with their nav systems as far as ease of use and functionality.

DUDE !?!?! Would you really trade your STS for a freakin' Honda? I know I wouldn't. The NAV system is complicated - agreed. Big deal, right? There are SO much more to these cars than the stupid nav that we may use 5% of the time. If you do go with the Honda, let me recommend the BIG spoiler, fart pipe and Type R badge options so you have a chance for a cameo in the next Fast and Furious box office flop.

Dadollac1
07-15-09, 07:33 AM
And don't forget the low profile tires:histeric:

I don't care what anyone says I still love my sts

next2pool
07-15-09, 11:48 AM
DUDE !?!?! Would you really trade your STS for a freakin' Honda? I know I wouldn't. The NAV system is complicated - agreed. Big deal, right? There are SO much more to these cars than the stupid nav that we may use 5% of the time. If you do go with the Honda, let me recommend the BIG spoiler, fart pipe and Type R badge options so you have a chance for a cameo in the next Fast and Furious box office flop.

Read the post Dude-I said they consistantly do a better job with Nav. Why does a 55K car have a decidedly worse Nav system than a 15K Honda. I don't want a Honda--I want a decent Nav system in an STS!

dkozloski
07-15-09, 02:21 PM
Read the post Dude-I said they consistantly do a better job with Nav. Why does a 55K car have a decidedly worse Nav system than a 15K Honda. I don't want a Honda--I want a decent Nav system in an STS!
Take along a friend that knows the way.

next2pool
07-15-09, 03:01 PM
That's probably the solution. I do like the looks of the IP with the Nav, and the other features that are bundled with it, but the lack of logic of the Nav function is just amazing not only for such an expensive car, but for a vehicle this new.

nguyendot
07-21-09, 07:09 PM
I've seen a nuber of cars come through our body shop after a crash while the driver was fooling with the radio, let alone entering addresses in a nav. Just because YOU SAY you would let the passenger do it doesn't mean you won't distract yourself by fooling with the nav while driving...if you wanna do that, ...

And this negates the fact that a $100 garmin is easier to use, easier to contol, and easier/cheaper to update than a $2000 option on a luxury car? What luxury is there then? It's about as useful as the voice control on the car.

EChas3
07-21-09, 09:15 PM
And this negates the fact that a $100 garmin is easier to use, easier to contol, and easier/cheaper to update than a $2000 option on a luxury car? What luxury is there then? It's about as useful as the voice control on the car.

With some practice (and turning down the fan) the VR does what I need. I do believe the 'Windows Up' is rather useless over road noise. :) If you find the Nav too hard to use, use what you like.

The Nav upgrade and newer Nav disk versions do improve the system quite a lot.

Just like the N*, by the time technology is retired, it's finally all figured out!

carter's_sts
07-22-09, 12:45 AM
Sorry, dumb question; what's the NAV upgrade? Is that where you load new firmware from a disk? I know what the new maps are and have that.

If that is true, where do you get the firmware update?

Probably been answered somewhere, sorry.

WillySTS
07-22-09, 11:29 AM
If that is true, where do you get the firmware update?

Probably been answered somewhere, sorry.

At the dealer. You have to have the complaint the "Voice Command" is erratic or inop intermittent and also problems with being heard on your bluetooth. It's free under warranty, if you are still under warranty.

It has been answered before, once you find it you'll see the bulletin #.

nguyendot
07-22-09, 12:03 PM
I have the newest firmware (complained about nav/voice/radio) and the newest disk. There are no differences at all! I'd like to use the rather expensive navigation system I paid for, but if it's a pain in the butt to use, then why bother? It's embarassing.

Why anyone would say "you should learn how to use it" is beyond me. This is not a piece of technical equipment, it's a luxury piece that you pay extra for so life can be EASIER, not more difficult.

WillySTS
07-22-09, 01:07 PM
I have the newest firmware (complained about nav/voice/radio) and the newest disk. There are no differences at all! I'd like to use the rather expensive navigation system I paid for, but if it's a pain in the butt to use, then why bother? It's embarassing.

Why anyone would say "you should learn how to use it" is beyond me. This is not a piece of technical equipment, it's a luxury piece that you pay extra for so life can be EASIER, not more difficult.:crying2:

The newest firmware made a difference in my car, without a doubt, but mostly with the bluetooth.

I don't trust voice command on anything...on company telephones, cell phones, nothin'...because they all don't work as I think they should, but I use it as far as I can get it to work for me on my car, which leads me to my next point...

When you buy an Audio/Video reciever, you MUST read the manual or you will get almost NOTHING out of it. When you buy a car, and spend thousands of dollars for it...why wouldn't you want to get the benefit of all of it?:hmm: Maybe because I work at a dealer and get tired of having to set clocks every spring and fall, simply because people don't read the manual, I may be a little bit biased in my opinion.

I have taken the Voice Command section of the nav manual and copied it and learned to use portions that I normally use. You will find that some of the operations not available while driving are available through Voice Command. Of couse you will have to memorize these commands "as they are written" but it becomes easier with use. No, it is not perfect, but it gives you a sense of what GM had in mind when they designed the vehicle.

My wife and I decided, since this is our 1st NEW Cadillac and probably LAST new car, and this one has all the bells and whistles, we will "Ring every bell and Blow every whistle":cloud9:...and that's probably why we enjoy our car so much.

carter's_sts
07-22-09, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know if the firmware would fix a problem where the Bluetooth sometimes acts weird on incoming calls? It should mute the radio / CD and then you can talk hands free. Sometimes, mine mutes the audio when it rings, but then when I answer the phone, it puts the music back on, and the audio system is locked up totally until I hang up the call (can't even turn the volume down to talk on the phone). It's intermittent.

That is the complaint I would have to make if I take it in.

At the dealer. You have to have the complaint the "Voice Command" is erratic or inop intermittent and also problems with being heard on your bluetooth. It's free under warranty, if you are still under warranty.

It has been answered before, once you find it you'll see the bulletin #.

K STS
07-22-09, 02:22 PM
Same problem I had. They said it had "an open loop" and replaced the nav at no charge. Now I no longer have that problem.

EChas3
07-22-09, 04:12 PM
Many phones benefit from having their firmware upgraded, too.

Having been in the business of providing computer services and support to bankers for 30 years, I have job security because of the people who don't read documentation. It's a good thing!

You can lead them to water, but most people would rather drown than drink.

We do get a bit tired of the people who won't even RTFS.

WillySTS
07-22-09, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know if the firmware would fix a problem where the Bluetooth sometimes acts weird on incoming calls? It should mute the radio / CD and then you can talk hands free. Sometimes, mine mutes the audio when it rings, but then when I answer the phone, it puts the music back on, and the audio system is locked up totally until I hang up the call (can't even turn the volume down to talk on the phone). It's intermittent.

That is the complaint I would have to make if I take it in.

#05-08-126-001B: Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth - (Mar 28, 2007)
:duck: