: 1996 Seville STS O2 Sensor REMOVAL. CAN"T GET TO IT

Flawlessrecs
07-10-09, 07:12 PM
Hello I just failed my emissions test because of a bad O2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 1. This is the one right in front of the firewall, inside of the exhaust manifold. I was told this is the hardest O2 sensor to get out compared to the rest of them on my car. Well I can see the sensor just dont have any room to get a wrech or socket in their. I bought the new O2 sensor and the O2 socket from advanced auto and just need to know how do I remove this sucker. I been trying to get at it from under the hood. Does anyone know how to remove this O2 sensor, I'd really appreciate the advice.

tateos
07-10-09, 07:15 PM
I think you need to lower the rear of the cradle and get at it from underneath. Or is it lower the front of the cradle and rock the engine forward to get access form up top. Something like that

Flawlessrecs
07-10-09, 08:07 PM
anyone know what i have to do to get this O2 sensor out?

Submariner409
07-10-09, 09:32 PM
The entire drivetrain (engine cradle) needs to be dropped at the rear and the work done from underneath, or remove the fans and radiator, condenser, and anything restricting the top of the engine and rock it forward by lowering the front of the cradle.

This is NOT an easy job by any means, and you'll need some exotic tools, a 4-point lift, and time.

Mark C
07-11-09, 09:16 AM
Removal Procedure

Notice
Remove oxygen sensors with the engine temperature above 48C (120F). Otherwise the oxygen sensors may be difficult to remove.

Notice
Take care when handling oxygen sensors. The electrical connector and louvered end must be kept free of contaminants. Do not use cleaning solvents on the sensor. Do not drop or mishandle the sensor.

1) Raise and support the vehicle.
2) Support rear of powertrain frame.
3) Remove four frame bolts (#2 and #3 locations).
4) Lower the frame no more than 3 inches.
5) Disconnect the rear oxygen sensor connector.
6) Remove the rear oxygen sensor from the rear exhaust manifold.

Installation Procedure

Notice
A special anti-seize compound is used on the oxygen sensor threads. New service sensors should already have the compound applied to the threads. Coat the threads of a reused sensor with anti-seize compound P/N 5613695 or equivalent.

1) Install the rear oxygen sensor in the rear exhaust manifold. Tighten
2) Tighten the rear HO2S sensor to 41 Nm (30 lb ft).
3) Connect the rear oxygen sensor connector.
4) Raise the frame.
5) Install the four frame bolts (#2 and #3 locations). Tighten
6) Tighten the frame bolts to 100 Nm (74 lb ft). Refer to
7) Lower the vehicle.