: VATS Module Location....WHERE IS IT ON THE FLEETWOODS???

Mr. Mann
07-10-09, 05:05 PM
I had Alex from PCMPerformance remove the VATS out of a spare PCM but I'm still getting the VATS (Pass Key Fault) light. I looked under the dash for the black metal plate where it would be for Impalas and the VATS module but I don't see it at all! Is it in a different place for Fleetwoods?? I can't see where the VATS wires (purple/white)go after they run back to the wiring harness. Anybody know where the module and the relay is on the D-body???? I know it's still there somewhere because I'm getting the Pass Key Fault issue. Anyone's help would be great right now!!

thefleetwoodguy
07-10-09, 05:52 PM
they should go to the ccm in the trunk
the pass key works through that

Mr. Mann
07-10-09, 06:18 PM
Okay so if they go to the CCM in the trunk how can you delete the VATS? You wouldn't know where the VATS relay is by any chance would you?

drmenard
07-10-09, 06:36 PM
What I have done to get rid of the vats is cut the wire going to the key and wire in a resistor so the ccm thinks its got the right key in it...

thefleetwoodguy
07-10-09, 06:47 PM
Okay so if they go to the CCM in the trunk how can you delete the VATS? You wouldn't know where the VATS relay is by any chance would you?

to the best on my knowledge , you need to wire in a resistor
of the proper value, (vatts code), in order to bypass the passkey
And I only know the 93-96 fleetwoods, there pass key issues are in the ignition "pellets"
that read the key, or the vatts section of the ccm itself, takes a dump, ruling out spliced wires etc...
I know of NO relays for the vatts in the fltwd brhms, or modules

hope this helps JIM
thefleetwoodguy.com

Mr. Mann
07-10-09, 06:54 PM
That doesn't delete VATS. That bypasses the system to make it think the right resistance is going to the system. You do that when either the resistors on your key go back or the wires to the column have a shortage. The VATS module can still fail over time and you can still get stranded. To delete it completely you have to have the VATS removed from the PCM, disconnect the VATS module, and unplug the anti-theft relay. Then you have to jump terminals 87 and 30 in the relay plug. My problem is I can't find the VATS module or the anti-theft relay! So the VATS wires run to the CCM in the trunk? Does anyone know where the relay is? I know the Impalas and Caprices have a VATS module so I looked in the location where theirs is but no luck.

thefleetwoodguy
07-10-09, 10:24 PM
I never heard of any way to remove the pass key system from a 93-96 fltwd
that isnt to say it cant be done, I would love to hear how to do that,

security relay I will have to look in the service man.,
never have seen a vatts module on theses models
unless its called by some other name

drmenard
07-10-09, 10:46 PM
I got the manuals... I ill dig in them and see what I can find...

drmenard
07-10-09, 11:07 PM
to get at the relay you have to take the large top dash piece off...all I can say about putting it back on is be gentle... I had two of them crack, weeks later..well after thats off... sitting in the passanger front seat, very close to the center, right at the top... there is the relay held in place by a screw...can't find more than that.. It does say a ccm, when new, will marry the first vats key code used and can not be changed ...

Mr. Mann
07-11-09, 03:30 AM
to get at the relay you have to take the large top dash piece off...all I can say about putting it back on is be gentle... I had two of them crack, weeks later..well after thats off... sitting in the passanger front seat, very close to the center, right at the top... there is the relay held in place by a screw...can't find more than that.. It does say a ccm, when new, will marry the first vats key code used and can not be changed ...

Very much appreciated!! I'll be doing this tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

Mr. Mann
07-11-09, 03:38 AM
Do you think it would be possible to reach it with the radio removed?

drmenard
07-11-09, 10:34 AM
NO.. I can remember changing one , thinking it could be bad when I was having trouble...Its really pretty eazy to get at ... going by memory... pry off the plastic wood looking strips and the screws are under them and a few more screws down in the center front at the windshield and it comes right out. just go slow puting it back in place.. try not to hit it too hard...

spence-29300
11-24-09, 09:04 AM
I never heard of any way to remove the pass key system from a 93-96 fltwd
that isnt to say it cant be done, I would love to hear how to do that,

security relay I will have to look in the service man.,
never have seen a vatts module on theses models
unless its called by some other name

A privateer online (Luca Lambrushini) has analyzed the signal from the vats module, and a small circuit to generate that signal to bypass the vats. It's pretty simple -- just a 555 timer chip, a few resistors and caps to generate a square ware of the right frequency. He offers a schematic of the circuit for 10 bucks, a kit of parts with small circuit board and plastic box for 70 bucks, or a completely assembled circuit for 170. I have posted a pic of the completed circuit in non-caddy pics under the title "tdm bypass" You can put the box in the glove compartment with connectors to the system so that you can take the box with you when you park and are concerned about theft. The box is about 2.5 x 3.5 inches.

csbuckn
11-24-09, 09:43 AM
Interesting but 170 bucks would get the problem fixed I would think.

spence-29300
11-24-09, 07:33 PM
if you know how to use a soldering iron, the bypass only 70 for parts, less if you get the stuff at radio shack yourself

a scrap yard tcm (the vats module) goes for around $125 + shipping on ebay, and you may not be buying much time with used parts

though I haven't heard a dealer quote for a new module, numbers batted around for a new tcm module are several hundred if you can find one -- anyone out there bought one?

for reasonable reliability the ignition switch should be replaced at the same time as the stock vats module, and labor for working on the steering column can run up pretty quickly (I think SupaFly has a number for this from the time her car was jacked) and this cost is avoided by using a bypass

sooo doing the bypass is likely to be less expensive overall, and promises fewer headaches down the road (at least that the expectation -- YMMV)

spence-29300
11-24-09, 10:47 PM
a quick search on the cost of steering column work on a passkey II system came up with one instance of $600 for a GM dealer repair...