: sts owners, overall satisfaction thus far???

gust_1980
07-10-09, 05:03 PM
hey guys, ive been wanting one of these cars for the longest time now. ive test driven a few and the only thing that i didnt love was the fact that the center console was a little cramping. new ones are a little out of my price range and was considering an 07, 08 (preferably 08; body style differences) and only white diamond. i currently have an 00 sts and its the most comfortable, driver friendly car ive been in. however, its got problems and its time (with me anyway) is up.

would any of you 05+ sts owners recommend that i further pursue ownership in cadillac or should i continue shopping elsewhere?

KARL DAHLEN
07-10-09, 05:12 PM
I've had my 08 for over a year and I am still absolutely in love with it. The best car I have ever owned and I have owned many in 66 years. I have a 92 STS (which I still have) and I thought that was great, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. Plan to trade it under the Cash for Clunkers program ($4500 credit) for a new car for my son.

Dadollac1
07-10-09, 05:36 PM
All I can say is that "when I turn my Cadillac on ,it really returns the favor.":thumbsup:

dhemrick
07-10-09, 05:45 PM
We have two... an '06 STS-V and an '06 STS4. They are both really great cars. 40K miles on the STS-V and 86K miles on the STS4, and relatively few problems considering the sophistication level of these cars. The most major thing that went wrong was that the catalytic converters on the STS4 both went bad, but were replaced for free under emissions warranty.

I highly recommend them to anyone looking in this price range, and if you buy one slightly used, the savings are significant. Be sure to get one fully loaded. I personally recommend getting one with the heads up display which is still probably the best HUD on the market (IMHO).

mbnv992
07-10-09, 06:32 PM
My car is OK. I would defiantly NOT buy another new STS again though. I feel for what I'm paying for my 2007 STS (no Nav, no HUD, no ACC, etc.) I should be getting a LOT more car for my money ($998 per month). Don't get me wrong, the STS is a great car, the transmission could definitely shift a little smoother (at least in my car anyway), but NOT worth it getting one new. My next car will be a used STS-V, hands down. I will NEVER get a car that is not "fully loaded" again. Lesson learned.

next2pool
07-10-09, 07:26 PM
I love my STS, but GM hasn't significantly updated it since 05 and won't until it is discontinued. There's tremendous value in finding a nice used one. If you fit, you may want to try a recent CTS as well.

WillySTS
07-10-09, 08:46 PM
i currently have an 00 sts and its the most comfortable, driver friendly car ive been in. however, its got problems and its time (with me anyway) is up.

would any of you 05+ sts owners recommend that i further pursue ownership in cadillac or should i continue shopping elsewhere?

I came out of a '99 STS and I agree you...that car was ahead of its time in a lot of ways.:highfive:

Although my current STS-V is a little disappointing when compared with my '99 for interior room, glove box, console and cubby holes, it still is the most gratifying family car that I've ever owned. :bouncy:I cannot think of a car I would rather have as the family sedan for less than 100K(we're talking new, since I bought it new). My friends have the other big sedan Hot Cars(300 srt-8, jag XJ-R,etc) and I like mine much better. If I had it to do all over, I'd make a bigger down payment and get one with black interior.

Regulator
07-10-09, 09:13 PM
You pay $1k a month for a base STS? Wow!....they saw you coming!

Force-1
07-10-09, 09:34 PM

I agree. I bought my 06 STS new, $0 down, $637 a month. It's just a V6, but it is loaded with every option available on that MY.

carter's_sts
07-10-09, 09:47 PM
I love my 06 STS, which I got used with 37K miles. I like it more every time I drive it. My only complaints are: The clearance stinks and the glove box is close to worthless. Other than that, it's great! The Nav and 5.1 sound system are a must.

EChas3
07-10-09, 10:32 PM
I really like my 2006 1SG STS4 with ACC. There are a few minor design decisions I would executed differently and I would have preferred red over black. I do miss the roominess of a full-sized car but the STS is a real kick to drive and performs very well. I shopped virtually every car with Adaptive Cruise Control and the STS is the best I drove and is also a comparative steal when pricing a gently used CPO against anything else available. The DTS was not an option due to Front-drive.

My wife loved her 1998 STS. When it had to go (a multitude of expensive repairs looming) she didn't have time to shop and jumped at a great deal on her 2007. She likes her new STS but misses the old one that was roomier, had front wheel drive, a cruise control cancel and was better looking. (The older car in white diamond turned heads. The 2007 in platinum looks like every other modern mid-sized car.)

mbnv992
07-10-09, 11:04 PM

Tell me about it lol
The only options my car has is All Wheel Drive, the V8 NorthStar, and a Sun Roof. That's it. I would LOVE the HUD, HID lights, etc. but, oh well, next time (3 or 4 years or so). I also failed to mention, that the $998 a month is also with trading a truck in that I owed about $17-20,000 on yet as well lol

turnerbend
07-10-09, 11:21 PM
Love my STS. The STS is overated.

MacMuse
07-10-09, 11:21 PM
Luv my Diamond White 06 N* Nav. Never had HUD or ACC before, so I don't "miss" them on this one. Very happy with the performance, glad I bought the CPO after hanging around here, and hope I never need it.

EChas3
07-11-09, 12:59 AM

Schizophrenia?

jimzilla
07-11-09, 10:39 AM
I have had a 95 and still have since new. I now have a new 08 STS with N* , RWD and Bose but otherwise base. I miss roominess, but do NOT miss the FWD heavy feel. With all incentives last year and rebates, this was an excellent buy! I would definitely do again. I know it will not be the same driver in the snow as the 95 w/o FWD but c'est la guerre. In all other scenarios so far, I enjoy the quieter, better handling, more responsive, and silky smooth trans. Other negative is rear seat room, but the front seats are great! I would certainly recommend the STS or 09 CTS V would have been my next choice.

widmann@hotmail.com
07-11-09, 11:11 AM
I'm a new STS owner, CPO 07, with most options no HUD or ACC.. what a great toy/car.. I've had a 05 CTS-v (2-year lease).. I like the features in the STS much better and amazing deals available for a slightly used car that looks like new..

K STS
07-11-09, 12:39 PM
ive had:
Firebird Formula
Porsche Boxster S
BMW Z3
Cadillac CTS
Land Rover Discovery
Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible

And MANY more. I can say this car makes me (and passengers) the happiest, hands down.

tlac
07-11-09, 12:58 PM
I love my 06 STS! It's not the best in any one category, but it's great in a blend for a daily driver. It has decent space and four doors, but has a bit of a two door sportscar feel with some awsome luxury features. I have a V8 RWD 1SE model w/ Nav & Bose. IMHO... Again IMHO, I don't know think all that other 1SG price hiking features are worth it, just something else to break. The V8 1SE is great for us non-track & drag racing drivers. The 08-09 CTS seems like a better performance model if that's what you're looking for anyway, and it may be my next car! The AWD sounds reasonable as I am in WI, but I'm
buying winter tires that will hopefully make it more stable than my previous FWD/RWD cars/trucks without.

SlickCityStan
07-11-09, 01:53 PM
:histeric::histeric::histeric::histeric: I have an '05' STS paid cash(23K) 18,000 miles certified All options except HUD, ACC, and I love it!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

gust_1980
07-11-09, 02:23 PM
thanks guys! this has been suprisingly encouraging. ive been the owner of 3 caddies and was sad about the possibility of ending that streak. but, with the testimonies ive read thus far my confidence has rebounded.

one thing i wanna ask is if the center console has cramped anyones driving ability/style/comfort? i ask this because i relax when i drive; meaning, i sit back, spread my legs and steer with my right hand resting on my right knee with my left arm usually hanging out the window. does the console (over long periods of driving/ownership) really bug anybody?

tlac
07-11-09, 02:47 PM
Definitely not, it's an extremely comfortable car and the console doesn't bug me at all compared to any other car i've driven.

MacMuse
07-11-09, 04:56 PM
one thing i wanna ask is if the center console has cramped anyones driving ability/style/comfort? i ask this because i relax when i drive; meaning, i sit back, spread my legs and steer with my right hand resting on my right knee with my left arm usually hanging out the window. does the console (over long periods of driving/ownership) really bug anybody?

I can't hang my left arm out the window - or at least not straight out due to the pillar. I can do more of a 'V' (me sitting at base of V) with my left arm out the window.

My right knee feels a little squeezed against the center console, but I'm adapting and finding a comfy position for those 2 & 4 hour drives to visit kids at college.

Greg00coupe
07-13-09, 01:49 PM
Since I too moved up from a 2000STS to an 05 I can tell you what I experienced..........

Cons:
First poorer gas mileage. Second smaller trunk smaller interior. Eliminated E brake automatic release. Heated seats are not as good, Heating coils cover less seat area. Two sizes of tires from back to front....Why? I never thought to check this!!! Not as good as a ride even with Mag shocks.
Pros:
Looks better then the 00 box. My 05 does not use one drop of oil, some may debate this as not a good thing. While dependable always had the headgasket problem worrying me. 05 has more power. HIDs are nice. Key fob system is OK but brings more risk then benefits.

next2pool
07-13-09, 02:16 PM
Since I too moved up from a 2000STS to an 05 I can tell you what I experienced..........

Cons:
First poorer gas mileage. Second smaller trunk smaller interior. Eliminated E brake automatic release. Heated seats are not as good, Heating coils cover less seat area. Two sizes of tires from back to front....Why? I never thought to check this!!! Not as good as a ride even with Mag shocks.
Pros:
Looks better then the 00 box. My 05 does not use one drop of oil, some may debate this as not a good thing. While dependable always had the headgasket problem worrying me. 05 has more power. HIDs are nice. Key fob system is OK but brings more risk then benefits.

That's a good comparison, and it brings to light why certain good things about a model seem to get lost later. A big reason for this is because the previous FWD Seville was engineered by a totally different group (The G body engineering group in Flint, Mi) than the current generation. It always comes across a big disconnect for buyers who tend to stay with a current model when they repurchase.

WillySTS
07-13-09, 02:40 PM

Mine isn't:rolleyes:.

sburgin
07-13-09, 04:01 PM
I have the same problem with my right knee hitting the leather wrapped piece of the console when driving. I tend to rest my knee against it - but after only a year, i was putting so much pressure that the leather started to form a crease to the point where it eventually split.

My warranty ends soon on this 05 model, so I just took it in to have them replace that piece. After a little bit of " looks like a cut " conversation with the Service Manager (he caved eventually) - part is on order for replacement. I suspect that over time - I'll have to alter my driving position or it will happen again.

[/QUOTE]
My right knee feels a little squeezed against the center console, but I'm adapting and finding a comfy position for those 2 & 4 hour drives to visit kids at college.[/QUOTE]

stevenriz
07-14-09, 09:28 AM
This is my first Caddy and I have to say I love it. I drive with my right hand on the shifter (girlfriend's hand on mine (I know I know)), left elbow on the window sill and left hand on the left side of the wheel. Starting to get a little vibration after 25k but I think it's the tires/balance or both. Isn't too bad yet. Otherwise, everything works. The ACC is ok but the shortest gap seems still to be too far away. People still sneak in between me and the car in front of me with the lowest gap setting. I know I know, it's all about safety. I love the HUD and am angry at my polorized sunglasses. They filter out the HUD and some other displays by the climate controls. Also go for the 15 speaker bose system. Sound quality is as follows...
AM - AM is AM
WX - good enough
XM - poor to good (not much bass response and it drops signal a lot for me)
FM - good to better
CD - Excellent!!!!
DVD - OMG! Sounds like like your 5.1 stereo at home!!!!!!!

turnerbend
07-14-09, 09:55 AM
Schizophrenia?Hallucination

NO. maybe hallucinating about the love.

jimmbo
07-15-09, 02:26 AM
Kind of fun to drive as long as the road is a smooth as glass, any cracks or pebbles on the road and it might as well be an oxcart/lumberwagon. Kind of worried that the goofy power tilt and telescopic steering column will quit, manual would have been better. Finding out that to replace the headlight bulbs the bumper has to come off certainly makes me want to trade it off. Of the 4 caddies I have owned; 86 Fleetwood brougham, 90 Sedan DeVille, 91 Fleetwood, and 08 STS my most fav has to be the 86 FWB, the least, the 08 STS. Oh well, hopefully in 2010 the DTS well become rwd.

corvette00
07-15-09, 10:02 AM
I am on my 7th STS (07 Blk/Blk 1SG N* AWD) even with all the fluid leaks and brake issues I still really like the car. I do agree with some of the issues in comparing this vehicle to the previous generation. I think Cadillac needs a vehicle in the slot the prevoius STS held. However, I really enjoy the performance of this vehicle. I leased a CTS4 for the wife. I feel the CTS has the STS beat in the looks, but I would take an STS N* over this car any day.

trackbait
07-15-09, 11:48 AM
I've now been a Caddy owner for about 3 months in my 08 STS N* Nav equipped car. My first, but have had only GM cars last 40+ years!

Pro's Excellent price for a 1 yr old car, considering original list. Decent throttle response for the N* motor with Corsa axle back exhaust. Quiet interior Lots of Goodies/toys to play with.**See con's

Con's - Gas mileage sucks (mine mostly all stop and go city) 13 or less!! Cheap squeaky front seats (springs in bolster are terrible) Understeer, Understeer and Understeer. A complicated NAV that is all but worthless (my Garmin is so simple to use). What idiot put fuse boxes under the rear seat? Really.. what the hell were they thinking?? Outside mirrors refuse to hold memory 1/2 the time. Knobs on HVAC and Radio way to small. Glovebox a joke. "Voice Command" seriously flawed. Apparent iPhone incompatibility using bluetooth (loud shreaking buzz would scare the dead from the grave). Remove front bumper to change/modify headlights - say what? crazy! Small almost useless trunk space. Nowhere can you actually monitor oil pressure (not that I've found). Why do I have to pay $200 for a Nav update disc when I can buy a brand new Garmin 200 for about half that.

But... all that said, I still like the car for a good family sedan. Great highway car. Styling is OK, but not superlative. Given Obama's mandate for higher gas mileage standards and depending on public mood and increased interest in "Green", price of gas in the future, this may end up being a dinosaur with little residual value to sell outright or trade in a couple of years from now.

This could very well turn out to be a short term ownership. I bought it on high recommendation from forum members from another site...but they were raving about the STS-V, which this is not.

next2pool
07-15-09, 12:42 PM
It's interesting that everybody pans the STS Nav unit (with good reason) but when people ask what equipment they should look for, everybody strongly recomends Nav as a must :)
I agree with the rest of the comments as well. I think the STS started out great in 2005 but suffered from almost total neglect since.

WillySTS
07-15-09, 01:56 PM
It's interesting that everybody pans the STS Nav unit (with good reason) but when people ask what equipment they should look for, everybody strongly recomends Nav as a must :)
I agree with the rest of the comments as well.

As would I..."better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it". Besides, it's a better stereo, you get bluetooth and the car looks like a 21st century automobile with that "big ole nav" screen.:thumbsup:

sangsangpub
07-21-09, 07:56 PM
I'm an old guy, but I bought my 2005 STS new in 2005. Left a Merc E-320 for it. Excluding the regular maintenance up to this day I've only changed windshield wipers. I love this car. Contemplating getting a new one, but why?

amgqmp1
07-21-09, 08:40 PM
I'm an old guy, but I bought my 2005 STS new in 2005. Left a Merc E-320 for it. Excluding the regular maintenance up to this day I've only changed windshield wipers. I love this car. Contemplating getting a new one, but why?

Hey, I had an E-320 too. Mine was a '97...what year was yours? Beautiful cars, but the maintenance costs were lunacy.

I haven't had to change my wipers yet, but I agree...I love the 2005 STS too. :yup:

My biggest gripe is the factory tires. I think they undersized them for the car, but I can't see ditching mine until the tread wears out. Also, I had a '94 SLS a decade ago...and it was a monster in the snow. I could get around nearly as well as 4x4s. The 2005 is so worthless in the snow that I bought my snow tires last Friday (a Jeep Cherokee).

EChas3
07-21-09, 09:39 PM
Hey, I had an E-320 too. Mine was a '97...what year was yours? Beautiful cars, but the maintenance costs were lunacy.

I haven't had to change my wipers yet, but I agree...I love the 2005 STS too. :yup:

My biggest gripe is the factory tires. I think they undersized them for the car, but I can't see ditching mine until the tread wears out. Also, I had a '94 SLS a decade ago...and it was a monster in the snow. I could get around nearly as well as 4x4s. The 2005 is so worthless in the snow that I bought my snow tires last Friday (a Jeep Cherokee).

Smart. But I don't have that much room in the garage and hate to leave a car outside in the weather.

sangsangpub
07-21-09, 10:31 PM
To ampqp1 I owned a 99 E320 and your right. Maintenance was crazy expensive. I'll be posting a picture soon of STS with the original tires. I'm a Chicagoan and must be used to the snow becuase I never have a problem with it:cool2:

Platinum06
07-24-09, 01:46 AM
Coming out of a loaded 06 CTS to a loaded 07 STS-4...I wanted an STS from the begining but was not going to pay $68K so I leased the CTS for 2 years and bought a used 07 for $28K + tax. I love this car to no end, best car I ever owned, this one makes it # 37.
I hope they keep making this model.

inurok
07-24-09, 09:11 AM
Though I really like my STS-V my previous BMW 745i was a better car overall.

WillySTS
07-24-09, 12:20 PM
I can see how you can say that, 'cause, you have had ISSUES with your V.

z06bigbird
07-24-09, 12:41 PM
Schizophrenia?

His first car was a "which way" studebaker. lol

(Back end of some model studebakers resembled the front end.)

z06bigbird
07-24-09, 12:46 PM
Though I really like my STS-V my previous BMW 745i was a better car overall.

Wow! I thought the 7 series was a money pit. (Just from what I have seen on the BMW forums.) Quality-of-material-wise, the BMWs do outshine many other brands, but then the price of the 7 series typically is up there too.

inurok
07-24-09, 04:44 PM
Wow! I thought the 7 series was a money pit. (Just from what I have seen on the BMW forums.) Quality-of-material-wise, the BMWs do outshine many other brands, but then the price of the 7 series typically is up there too.

I sold it right after the warranty ended. BMW would not allow me to extend it at 70K miles so I just sold it. My STS-V has been problem free since getting the new engine & tranny.

trackbait
07-24-09, 06:51 PM
WOW.. given the universal thumbs up for the STS, I sort of feel kind out of place with my perception of the shortfalls in my experience.

That said, anyone looking for a 2008 w/ only 16k miles, N*, Nav,. XM (active), Lockpick, Corsa exhaust, tinted glass, 17in wheels, knee deep in rubber, and looks like showroom condition that wants one for $26.5k, come a knocking on my door.

Just doesn't fit my desires as I thought. DFW area

http://www.c5dreamer.com/my-sts/sts25.JPG

K STS
07-26-09, 02:58 PM
How does the corsa sound?

OlManRivah
07-26-09, 03:54 PM
This 06 STS-4 is my 4th Caddy. I invite all folks knocking American made cars to try one of the babies. Nit pick all you like....this is a sweet ride. JMHO!

trackbait
07-26-09, 07:33 PM
How does the corsa sound?

HERE YA GO! HAVE A LISTEN!

Turn up the volume and kick in some bass

**CLICK HERE** (http://www.c5dreamer.com/sts/corsa.wmv)

D&Ds_STS
07-27-09, 03:35 PM
We love this car! Wife and I both grew up in muscle cars, and still like fast, powerful cars. Gotta be careful with the STS; it is so quiet you can get well over the speed limit without even realizing it. The 1SG package is very nice; cooled seats are better than I imagined they would be. Only disappointment is gas mileage; getting 23-24 mpg on interstate at steady 70 mph, 2400 rpm.
Trackbait - the Corsa's sound great. Any droning inside the cabin? (I put FRPP (Borla) stingers on our Mustang GT, took them off because we could not stand the droning.) Will Corsa's improve fuel economy?

MacMuse
07-27-09, 10:20 PM
... getting 23-24 mpg on interstate at steady 70 mph, 2400 rpm. ...

My '06 STS mileage falls off dramatically above 2000 RPM. But below 2K it does very nice - except I get passed by everyone else on the highway.

D&Ds_STS
07-28-09, 07:25 PM
I was surprised to see the STS over all gearing yields 2400 rpm at 70. My Mustang GT with 3.55s and manual 5 speed turns 2000 at 70. About the same with my F150 e/w 3.73 and LT tire option.

Hot05DiamondSTS
07-28-09, 11:15 PM
I've had mine for a little more than a week and I love it...my cousin had an 03 STS but to me looked like an old guys car, not this one...It's awesome!!! Handles like a 5 series and costs a lot less and I love the pearl white color especially when it gets washed up. I just wish I had the sunroof and the air conditioned seats though, not really a fan of the nav unit but it's still a great car....totally HOT!!!

EChas3
07-28-09, 11:24 PM
I was surprised to see the STS over all gearing yields 2400 rpm at 70. My Mustang GT with 3.55s and manual 5 speed turns 2000 at 70. About the same with my F150 e/w 3.73 and LT tire option.

There is a big difference between the different models. AWD 1SG's traded the most mileage for performance. My wife's 1SE turns 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH getting 25 MPG. Some of the V-6's can do better.

If you are that concerned about mileage, don't buy a 2-ton luxury car with 300 HP.

I love mine.

D&Ds_STS
07-29-09, 11:49 AM
There is a big difference between the different models. AWD 1SG's traded the most mileage for performance. My wife's 1SE turns 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH getting 25 MPG. Some of the V-6's can do better.

If you are that concerned about mileage, don't buy a 2-ton luxury car with 300 HP.

I love mine.

I love mine, too. See earlier post, 7/27. I was simply responding to a post that v8 mileage drops over 2000 rpm, commenting that 2400 at 70 mph is surprisingly high for a 3.42 equipped car and 5 sp od. EPA estimate for this car is 26 hiway. I have never had a vehicle that I couldn't get to meet EPA hiway mileage, including a 300hp 5600# 4x4 F150. Only had this car 3 weeks - just trying to calibrate if this is normal, or if I have something wrong with this car.

KARL DAHLEN
07-29-09, 11:56 AM
You must have the five speed vs. six?

D&Ds_STS
07-29-09, 06:55 PM
You must have the five speed vs. six?

Yes, it is a 5 sp. '06 STS-Vs got 6 sp, all got it in '07.

EChas3
07-29-09, 07:20 PM
EPA for the AWD cars with the 3.42 is not 26 MPG. If it were, the Gas Guzzler Tax wouldn't be on the sticker. If it's different on the newer ones, I apologize.

next2pool
07-29-09, 07:49 PM
Here are the numbers for 2006 STS's city/combined/hwy

v6 rwd 16/19/25
v8 rwd 15/18/24
v8 awd 14/17/21
v8 V 12/14/19

I'm a bit surprised how big of a hit the AWD takes on hwy

Generally axle ratio options do not require a separate certification unless the sale volume is high.

D&Ds_STS
07-29-09, 08:06 PM
EPA for the AWD cars with the 3.42 is not 26 MPG. If it were, the Gas Guzzler Tax wouldn't be on the sticker. If it's different on the newer ones, I apologize.

I have the window sticker. It is a 2006 2wd, not AWD, 1SG, and the EPA #s are 17/26. There is no gas guzzler tax on the sticker. The car is under warranty. If 23 mpg at 70 is normal, I can handle that. If it is not, I will take it to the dealer to fix it. Just looking for a little help from my new friends. BTW, here in the Atlanta metro area we have 'boutique' fuel. (Thank you EPA!) Is it possible the energy density in the summer blend is less than optimum? Thx!

next2pool
07-29-09, 08:17 PM
The numbers I quoted are per the "revised" EPA ratings and they will be different than some window stickers. Since the procedures changed during the years, there was no good way to compare cars, so they have revised all numbers per the latest procedures. That doesn't effect what you are saying about your 2006, just what the EPA currently lists. For anyone interested, got to: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and click "compare side by side". It's a nice tool to look at all of the permutations of models.

EChas3
07-30-09, 12:20 AM
I have the window sticker. It is a 2006 2wd, not AWD, 1SG, and the EPA #s are 17/26. There is no gas guzzler tax on the sticker. The car is under warranty. If 23 mpg at 70 is normal, I can handle that. If it is not, I will take it to the dealer to fix it. Just looking for a little help from my new friends. BTW, here in the Atlanta metro area we have 'boutique' fuel. (Thank you EPA!) Is it possible the energy density in the summer blend is less than optimum? Thx!

No offense intended. Sorry.

What RPM's do you have at 70 MPH?

MacMuse
07-30-09, 12:43 AM
Here are the numbers for 2006 STS's city/combined/hwy

v6 rwd 16/19/25
v8 rwd 15/18/24
v8 awd 14/17/21
v8 V 12/14/19

Cool, anyone trading in their V8 under the Cash for Clunkers program? :hide:

just kidding.

D&Ds_STS
07-30-09, 08:53 AM
The numbers I quoted are per the "revised" EPA ratings and they will be different than some window stickers. Since the procedures changed during the years, there was no good way to compare cars, so they have revised all numbers per the latest procedures. That doesn't effect what you are saying about your 2006, just what the EPA currently lists. For anyone interested, got to: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and click "compare side by side". It's a nice tool to look at all of the permutations of models.

Thank you! I did not know the gov't had re-rated older vehicles. I wish I could re-negotiate my performance objectives.

D&Ds_STS
07-30-09, 09:19 AM
What RPM's do you have at 70 MPH?

2400 at 70 mph. MacMuse posted "My '06 STS mileage falls off dramatically above 2000 RPM. But below 2K it does very nice - except I get passed by everyone else on the highway." I will try a steady 2000 rpm when I get a stretch of road where my butt won't get run over. Hard to find around Atlanta. Maybe a Cadillac tech type can explain if there is something going on with VVT, ignition timing, or mixture that kicks in above 2000 rpm at light load that affects fuel economy?

I appreciate all the info. I feel better now that it appears my car is thirsty, but not sick.

KARL DAHLEN
07-30-09, 10:23 AM
Cool, anyone trading in their V8 under the Cash for Clunkers program? :hide:

just kidding.

I traded my old 92 STS with a blown HG for a new car for my son. It was rated at 17 combined. I knew I was keeping it around for a reason.

EChas3
07-30-09, 05:25 PM
This morning I looked closely. 55MPH is 1,800 RPM in my 2006 AWD V8. It would get better than 21 MPG at that speed.

Over 2,000 RPM the N* starts to breathe. I think that's where all pretense of economy comes to an end and the torque comes on. After all, torque is what accelerates cars. Horsepower may determine top speed but the game is more about quickness than speed.

Those old Duesenburg's produced 265 normally aspirated HP similar to our cars but the torque exceeding 300 ft-lb's moved those 3-ton cars nicely for their era. 0-60 in 9 seconds and 100 under 20 seconds.

KARL DAHLEN
07-30-09, 05:52 PM
Just checked, my 08 V6 turns 2000 RPM at 70 MPH and mileage is between 28 and 29 at that speed. Not too shabby.

D&Ds_STS
07-30-09, 06:46 PM
Just checked, my 08 V6 turns 2000 RPM at 70 MPH and mileage is between 28 and 29 at that speed. Not too shabby.

That's very good! We got about the same with our '04 CTS V6, and I'm guessing the STS is a bit heavier.

next2pool
07-30-09, 07:24 PM

That's the direct injection version--over 300 hp with great mileage. very sweet!