: 02 escalade rattle

Levand16
07-10-09, 01:49 PM
I have a 2002 Escalade 6.0l that has a rattle when I lightly give it some gas. I'm thinking it's the cats going bad, but I thought I'd see if anyone else knew of anything I should check. The truck has 150K miles. I have not noticed any loss of power.

CEPMAN
07-10-09, 07:36 PM
First you'd need to try and isolate the area where the problem is coming from. See if you can find a 'quiet' place, and with the radio off and the windows down, start from a stop and see if you can hear where the noise is coming from. You may even need to either have someone else listen from the passenger side, or even stand outside to see if they can figure it out. If you do it somewhere like a parking lot, you may even be able to do this with the hood up to see if it helps isolate the location.

If it's under the hood, the first place to check would be anywhere that you may have done anything custom (intake, 'extra' power wires, etc.) If that isn't the case, you may want to check out your motor mounts. With the vehicle in park, you can rotate the throttle cable to give the engine some gas, and see if the engine's movement causes the sound.

If it's coming from under the vehicle, you'll want to get under there (after the exhaust pipes have cooled first of course) and just see if any of your exhaust piping (to include the cat converter) has any wiggle in it. Metal on metal vibrations from exhaust pipes can definitely give you some rattle.

Hope this helps

zerocarpileup
07-11-09, 04:57 AM
it might be the bracket for the exhaust. just get them tightened. i used to notice mine rattle on idle, i thought it was a big deal but turned out to be a bracket.

Levand16
07-11-09, 11:49 AM
Found the problem... The noice stop but the cold air also stoped. I'm guessing the a/c clutch went out. Can that be replaced without rechargeing the system