: a simple a/c belt change taking 2 days Help!

mike22487
07-10-09, 05:01 AM
My g/f just bought a 1988 cadillac Brougham with 40,000 miles original everything, gold keys, white paint, white leather, not a scratch for $3000 even the r-12 ac works but the belts squeals like hell. So I went and bought all new belts, the originals were still on the car all glazed and missing cogs, I took all of the belts off replaced the ac belt then went to put the power steering belt back on and couldnt get it back on, so I ended up taking all of the bolts off the ps pump and still couldnt get it on and then I realized it was too short (stupid autozone, and me for not checking). I got a different belt and now I'm trying to get the bracket bolts in, the long bolt at the back of the ps bracket at the top of the oil pan. Now I realized that bolt holds the engine and the bolt holes are not lining up, I took a jack and tried messing around with it, I have the hole lined up but the bolt is not threading in at all and the space is tight. I dont know what to do, I mostly work on imports I have 2 nissans and my gf other car is a mitsubishi. Im not too experienced with american cars or even rwd cars for that fact so any help is very appreciated.

Mike

still_walkin
07-10-09, 06:22 AM
Does it sweak at the tensioner if could be the bearingin. Bearings in the alternator. You could take the alt out and get it teted at autozone and it might sweak when they test it. Good luck

cadillac_al
07-10-09, 06:43 AM
Usually the adjustment bolt for the power steering pump is behind the pulley accessed through a hole in the pulley. If yours has this then just put it all back together without the belt and put the belt on last. I'm not a Fleetwood expert but it sounds like you are working on the Olds power steering bracket with the large bolt going into the block. In any case just loosen the brackets if you have to, to get them lined up and reinstalled, then use the adjuster bolt behind the pulley to get the belt installed.

mike22487
07-10-09, 03:01 PM
yea its the olds 350 engine when I pulled the large bolt out the engine dropped down and misaligned the bolt hole, I took a porta power and jacked the engine back up but the hole is just off enough that the threads are not engaging I have everything else done except for that bolt and im working on it laying underneath the car.

Mike

mike22487
07-11-09, 02:30 AM
I was messing around with it all day today, now on day 3. I have everything back together except for that big bolt, and I found a thick washer left over and the alternator belt is rubbing on the ps pulley. I dont know where the washer goes but its not right. I took some pictures hoping someone would know. If someone could take a picture of that bolt for me I would be appreciated.

Bolt
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/mike22487/IMG_4941.jpg

Washer
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/mike22487/IMG_4946.jpg

belt rubbing
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q235/mike22487/IMG_4945.jpg

mike22487
07-12-09, 04:57 AM
this forum is ridiculous, Ive posted 2 times yesterday and neither of them showed up, and it is covered in pop ups, ads and is sooooo much slower than any other car forum on the internet. I need to get this car fixed by Monday for a trip, would it be fine to drive the car to a shop without that large bolt in and the alternator belt rubbing on the power steering pulley, Ive about had it with that bolt and this forum.

csbuckn
07-12-09, 09:58 AM
wow, good luck buddy...

cadillac_al
07-12-09, 09:32 PM
I don't think the responses come so quickly on the weekends; everybody is busy with their lives. I don't get the part about the engine falling down when you took that bolt out. That bolt is hard to put in unless everything is just right but it isn't 3 day impossible. You don't have the other 2 nuts on do you? They should be off or very loose so you have room to wiggle it around to get that back bolt in. I am in the process of installing a 350 Olds. It was supposed to be done Friday but it looks like it will be Tuesday now. I will know exactly what your problem is then but it will be too late for your Monday trip. I haven't had problems with pop ups since I got Windows XP back in '03. Is your computer system older than that?

DopeStar 156
07-13-09, 01:42 AM
wow, good luck buddy...

Exactly....