: Service Radar Control

Unique Distributing
07-10-09, 12:34 AM
I was on a long road trip this week and i had on the cruise control. Out of nowhere the beeping came on which usualy comes on when you come too close to a car and the cruise control shut down and it said "check gauges" i check and it says service radar control. i pulled over and let my car sit for 30 min and then drove again
it still didnt work. i pulled over again and turned off for a hour or so and then started to drive and it worked again. then after driving another 3 hrs it did it again... then i turned off and back on and it worked.

any ideas?

WillySTS
07-10-09, 11:39 AM
I was on a long road trip this week and i had on the cruise control. Out of nowhere the beeping came on which usualy comes on when you come too close to a car and the cruise control shut down and it said "check gauges" i check and it says service radar control. i pulled over and let my car sit for 30 min and then drove again
it still didnt work. i pulled over again and turned off for a hour or so and then started to drive and it worked again. then after driving another 3 hrs it did it again... then i turned off and back on and it worked.

any ideas?
It could be dirty, but then it may say "Clean Radar"...but, I would check anyway.

BarryNS
07-10-09, 01:20 PM
I had the same problem in a 2008 STS. Sadly the cruise control completely disables, not only the radar. I just kept driving and it eventually turned on itself. When I brought it to the dealer they had to take down the front of the car in order to get to the sensor. Said it needed cleaning. The radar did work after that but eventually gave me the same warning message. I waited till it came back on and it hasn't dropped out again in the past 4 months.

EChas3
07-10-09, 02:11 PM
Here's a great example for those that eschew extended warranties.

ACC is a great feature that many of us love. If/when it fails we are not just without the feature, we don't have cruise control at all. If major components need to be replaced (the modern equivilent of repair) we are looking at $2,500 or more.

Auto recyclers are picking up on the value of high-tech parts on late model cars. IMHO, extended warranty companies are just beginning to do the same. On these cars (especially when fully-equipped) extended warranties are a good bet.

Just make sure the contract specifies bumper-to-bumper with exclusions (not a list of covered items - i.e. inclusions). If it excludes electronics, you don't want it anyway.

Angus Young
07-11-09, 03:27 AM
When it says Clean Radar, what is it telling you to clean? The plastic circle in the front center of the grill and the round unit directly behind the grill? or is there some other part of this radar unit that needs to be cleaned, I have removed the grill hand washed the grill and wiped down the round unit directly behind the grill and yet mine still doesnt work, is there a reset for this device or a fuse that operates it?

AirForce81
07-11-09, 11:56 AM
Well I have a 2005 and it just has the regular cruise crontrol. Sometimes when I have cruise crontrol on and try to acclerate (sliding the button to the right) my cruise just cuts off. I have to stop and turn the car off and back on before it will work again. Thoughts/Advise??

EChas3
07-12-09, 07:05 PM
Well I have a 2005 and it just has the regular cruise crontrol. Sometimes when I have cruise crontrol on and try to acclerate (sliding the button to the right) my cruise just cuts off. I have to stop and turn the car off and back on before it will work again. Thoughts/Advise??

Sounds like a bad switch to me.