: Almost overheated on the way home.

CIWS
07-09-09, 06:48 PM
The V almost overheated on me on the way home. Water temp gauge made it up to the last Fracking white mark before going into the red and engine oil temp was showing 245 deg and transmission temp was 232 deg, I think one of my fans is funky. I'm going to give the car some time to cool a little and then go investigate. :dammit: It doesn't help that it's 104 out right now either.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-09-09, 07:22 PM
mine did that around 45k dealer replaced high speed fans

CIWS
07-09-09, 08:45 PM
Gee looky what I found.

YouTube - Overheated Car Problem

The car was just at the dealership today getting the rear tires replaced and the alignment checked / adjusted again. (different saga)

silverws6ta
07-09-09, 10:12 PM
Gee looky what I found.

YouTube - Overheated Car Problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKuljMPG988)

The car was just at the dealership today getting the rear tires replaced and the alignment checked / adjusted again. (different saga)

Has their been a recent IQ test of the service department?!? From what I have gathered about a 50 combined from Service Manager down at the kind of issues you have encountered.. :alchi: :bonkers: -- Is your servicing dealer high traffic?!? Just looks as if there is a lot of carelessness and when things should be double checked they aren't.

whisler151
07-09-09, 10:25 PM
The V almost overheated on me on the way home. Water temp gauge made it up to the last Fracking white mark before going into the red and engine oil temp was showing 245 deg and transmission temp was 232 deg, I think one of my fans is funky. I'm going to give the car some time to cool a little and then go investigate. :dammit: It doesn't help that it's 104 out right now either.

Damn, that sucks. Hope you get it fixed.

CIWS
07-09-09, 10:56 PM
Damn, that sucks. Hope you get it fixed.

I have to. The car couldn't survive in 104 degree temps like right now. :)

CIWS
07-09-09, 11:03 PM
Has their been a recent IQ test of the service department?!? From what I have gathered about a 50 combined from Service Manager down at the kind of issues you have encountered.. :alchi: :bonkers: -- Is your servicing dealer high traffic?!? Just looks as if there is a lot of carelessness and when things should be double checked they aren't.

It's possible the failure occurred sometime after I left them as it was there only to have tires put on and the alignment checked / redone. Since it's not a complete fan failure and that one seems to get hung up and just appear to be off, who knows.
I just happen to glance at the water temp driving down the highway and notice it was just above halfway, which it never is. As I kept driving it kept slowly climbing. It never reached a point of getting any warnings so I'm not sure where they get triggered. But I wouldn't have wanted it any higher.

WillySTS
07-10-09, 11:30 AM
Sounds like the fan is hitting on something, like they moved something around up there and now is interferring with the rotation of the fan...sounds dealer induced to me.:bonkers: tsk,tsk,tsk,etc...:helpless:

CIWS
07-10-09, 11:38 AM
Well it's back at the dealership and they're supposed to be putting a new fan assembly in. :)

CIWS
07-10-09, 05:27 PM
Strike up one for the new GM. My car has been there since they opened and it hasn't even been looked at yet. Guess I'll be in a normal CTS for the weekend. :(

WillySTS
07-10-09, 06:17 PM
Strike up one for the new GM. My car has been there since they opened and it hasn't even been looked at yet. Guess I'll be in a normal CTS for the weekend. :(

Izzat-rite???:confused:...They haven't told us anything yet, we're still operating same as before.

CIWS
07-11-09, 08:38 AM
Izzat-rite???:confused:...They haven't told us anything yet, we're still operating same as before.

Haven't you heard ? You're in the new GM now ! ;)

inurok
07-12-09, 01:32 PM
Gotta love Cadillacs premium service lol Knock on wood my STS-V has been problem free since the last work done to it.

CIWS
07-12-09, 03:34 PM
Yeah got an e-mail yesterday, they're ordering the fan assembly. Supposed to get the car back Tuesday.

CIWS
07-15-09, 10:21 PM
Ok so any STS-V driver out there think that oil temps around 240 degrees and transmission temps of 230 degrees is "normal" for the car and shouldn't be a problem ? The dealership does.

http://www.ciws.net/stsv/stsvenginehot3.jpg

They gave the car back to me today with that statement and of course on the way home what happens ?

http://www.ciws.net/stsv/stsvenginehot.jpg

inurok
07-15-09, 10:35 PM
Gotta love the NEW GMs improved service. :hide:

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-16-09, 12:32 AM
looks like they replaced 1 fan.. Same exact thing happened to me... they replaced 1 fan and it did it again on the way home,,, took it back and they replaced the whole fan assembly and it never did it again
WOW>>>>>>>>> SPOOOOKY

55cadillacking
07-16-09, 12:34 AM
Same guys that work on the Cadillacs are most probably doing oil changes and tire balances on Cobalts - it is very rare to actually speak with someone at my city's 3 Caddy dealerships that knows ANYTHING specific about the V. The dealer I bought it from in Cleveland was a Cadillac only dealership and they seemed to know their ass from a hole in the ground, but the latest service guy I dealt with asked me if it had a V8!

CIWS, I'm sure you'll give them the "what for" and get things straightened out. It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

CIWS
07-16-09, 07:41 AM
looks like they replaced 1 fan.. Same exact thing happened to me... they replaced 1 fan and it did it again on the way home,,, took it back and they replaced the whole fan assembly and it never did it again
WOW>>>>>>>>> SPOOOOKY

I had one obvious fan bad, the other is/was going full bore. Even as this new one isn't spinning when the car is this hot you can hear the other going all the time.
I'm suspecting something else, and will work on that suspicion when I take it to another authorized GM shop this morning, but it is not a Cadillac dealership. My confidence in them is rather shaken after another experience like this. I asked them to do something while the car was there and they did not, instead they called it fixed and gave me back an overheating vehicle.

... it is very rare to actually speak with someone at my city's 3 Caddy dealerships that knows ANYTHING specific about the V. The dealer I bought it from in Cleveland was a Cadillac only dealership and they seemed to know their ass from a hole in the ground, but the latest service guy I dealt with asked me if it had a V8!

This is the real crux of the problem. We are driving a very limited production car that has specific differences over it's closest relative (STS). The techs in these shops for the most part rarely see these cars, much less have to perform anything more than an oil change. When the time comes to do something more we end up getting folks who have never done this work and essentially feel their way through. (sorry ewill I know you're an exception here).

Now who's fault is this ? The tech, the dealership ? In my mind it is the fault of Cadillac / GM because they are not properly training their folks when putting this stuff out there, and we the owners are the ones that suffer. (and our expensive cars) It's difficult for me to want to jump down the dealer's throat when I cannot find fault in the way I see the situation. However Cadillac will be getting a phone call and letter expressing how this is the last V I will own unless they do something to change the situation. Nissan released their high end car and only certified certain dealerships to work on them and gave those techs special training. The new GM needs to learn some more lessons from the competition, IMO.

55cadillacking
07-16-09, 08:17 AM
Here here!

I recently traded my Pontiac G8 GT in on an Audi Q7 and the salesman is related to a guy in British Columbia who actually specializes in Corvettes and the V-series of Cadillacs. I need to make contact in case my car starts to experience and problems.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-16-09, 08:27 AM
Actually its the fault of the dealership. My dealer has 3 specifically GM trained V techs. If they loose them for some reason to attrition I am sure they are not going to spend their dealership money to have more trained. It's up to the dealer to make sure and pay for their techs to be trained. I own a buisness that requires me to have at least 1 Corporate Franchisor trained employee. Thats on my dime, if I loose them I have to send another one. I am sure in these hard times if a dealer looses their V tech they are not spending money to have the tire guy trained/certified.

You can ask to see who is certified to work on the supercharged cars. They should have a tech and certification in the place somewhere...

Corvette dealers had to do this for the ZR-1

silverws6ta
07-16-09, 10:08 AM
Ok so any STS-V driver out there think that oil temps around 240 degrees and transmission temps of 230 degrees is "normal" for the car and shouldn't be a problem ? The dealership does.

They gave the car back to me today with that statement and of course on the way home what happens ?

Maybe if you were trying to deep fry chicken?!?! I don't know that I have ever saw my trans temp above 180-185 in 90+ degree weather.. Interstate driving it has been as low as 140.

CIWS
07-16-09, 04:03 PM
Maybe if you were trying to deep fry chicken?!?! I don't know that I have ever saw my trans temp above 180-185 in 90+ degree weather.. Interstate driving it has been as low as 140.

Yeah that was a poppycock explanation for sure.

My issue is now solved, as my suspicion was correct. Check the wait4me thread.

jmartin06
07-21-09, 12:06 AM
I have "Engine Hot A/C off" problem with my V. The problem is that this happens and the Temp gage is flat. When you cycle through oil temp, it is normal. Next day when you turn car on same message comes up...drive to dealership and all of a sudden temp gage goes back to normal and problem is gone?? Service cannot find problem because it is random and will never occur when car is in service. Service has offered to have techs drive it for the weekend....thats not going to happen to my V. Help...has anyone had this issue?

inurok
07-21-09, 12:24 AM
My temps seem okay but my fans are on almost 100 percent of the time. Is this normal for a STS-V? I have only noticed it since having the new engine installed.

CIWS
07-21-09, 08:50 AM
I have "Engine Hot A/C off" problem with my V. The problem is that this happens and the Temp gage is flat. When you cycle through oil temp, it is normal. Next day when you turn car on same message comes up...drive to dealership and all of a sudden temp gage goes back to normal and problem is gone?? Service cannot find problem because it is random and will never occur when car is in service. Service has offered to have techs drive it for the weekend....thats not going to happen to my V. Help...has anyone had this issue?

Yikes sounds like you have a ghost in the machine. If you're only seeing temp issues with the coolant (not oil or transmission) it could be a funky thermostat. I would assume (don't know for sure) that an overtemp DIC related message would set a code in the computer that it occurred and they could verify that.

People laugh at me because I video record these little problems when I see them, but that's part of the reason why. I can show the dealership (or anyone else) exactly what was occurring. I might also suggest using Onstar if you have a current subscription. The next time it's doing it have them run a diagnostic and see if they see the same thing.