: Wanting to change the color temp of the HIDs

Tony407
07-09-09, 04:44 AM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd like to slightly increase the color temperature of the HIDs in the car. I don't want something too blue, or something that drastically reduces the lumen output, just something a little more bluish. Coming from my Jaguar to the V, the lights are a little too "yellowish" for me compared to the Jag's HID system. From what I can tell, our bulbs are 4300K and I'd be interested in going with either a 5000K or 6000K bulb. Probably 5000.

Is this something as simple as a bulb swap?

And are our high beams also HID, or are they halogen bulbs? I haven't looked yet, but I suspect they're halogen.

Tony

bulletproof4age
07-09-09, 10:07 AM
4300k are the brightest you can get. Anything higher and you're losing light output.

Just wait for them to color shift. They'll get bluer over time.

Tony407
07-09-09, 02:44 PM
4300k are the brightest you can get. Anything higher and you're losing light output.

Just wait for them to color shift. They'll get bluer over time.

What do you mean by waiting for them to color shift?

Tony

Razorecko
07-09-09, 03:08 PM
What do you mean by waiting for them to color shift?

Tony

Over time oem hids actually lose their intensity and slowly go towards a blue hue. My old qx4 had oem 4300k hids w/ 100k on them and they were AWESOME -lol i should have taken them off before getting rid of them

bulletproof4age
07-09-09, 03:12 PM
From HIDPlanet:

What is color shifting?
Color shifting is when a bulb, once fully warmed up, transitions to a bluer color temperature. This is due to the deformation of the electrodes that occurs as time goes on. To understand this, one must understand that near the electrodes, a region of plasma glows deep blue. As the electrodes are deformed, this region grows larger and contributes more to the color of the bulb. Bulbs that do no color shift have modified electrodes to prevent this deformation. Another tactic is to make it so that the blue area around the electrodes is not in an area that the projector can "see". This helps to minimize its effect as well.

Note: Color shifting should not be confused with the bright blue color at warm up. While this blue color DOES come from the same regions, it occurs before the salts vaporize, when IT is one of the ONLY sources of light. Once the salts vaporize, this is suppressed and the light transitions to its proper color temperature.

DiamondWhiteCTS-V
07-11-09, 08:40 PM
Try the guys at Xenon Depot. These are the best HID kits out there.

I tried posting the link but the site won't let me - just google it.