: Aftermarket Heater core, smaller?

85silverSeville
07-09-09, 12:18 AM
Hey forum, I am looking for the option if possible to replace the heater core for a smaller functioning unit, possibly off of a different cadillac or aftermarket unit? Reason is I need more room for bigger engine ( 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel) . I still want heat and A/c so I dont want to totally get rid of it. Also what lies directly behind the firewall? Is it safe to push it back a couple of inches for clearance, Need to push engine as far back as possible for weight distribution.

sven914
07-09-09, 06:29 PM
What's the car? If it is the Seville that is your name sake, your in the wrong forum. The correct forum (Seville/Eldorado) (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/) however would more than likely be less help.

(They seem to be a little less nostalgic :hide:)

85silverSeville
07-10-09, 03:18 AM
Yeah I made that username a couple of years ago when I had a seville. Gave it away to salvation and bought an 85 fleetwood Brougham Coral edition. Clean car, not enough power in the 4.1L. I think I;ll just try to find a smaller heater core and hook up the air ducts/wires.

jayoldschool
07-10-09, 11:02 AM
There are over a hundred engine choices that would be better than the Cummins. The Cummins is too tall, and way to heavy to go in there. If you want power, put in a Chevy big block. The 502 or even the 572 will bolt right in. If you are set on a diesel, consider the 6.2/6.5 GM truck motors. They will go in with minimal mods (compared to the Cummins).

sven914
07-10-09, 03:27 PM
The 80's 6.2 & 6.5 were Detroit Diesels, but were they two stroke (like the original) or four stroke engines?