: 2000 Eldorado...factory cassette player in car...best way to upgrade?

Dudley Dawson
07-08-09, 04:56 PM
Should I buy a head unit with a GM wiring harness or go OEM?

chazglenn3
07-08-09, 09:27 PM
If you are just looking to add a CD player to your car, I would buy an OEM head unit on eBay. Especially if you have the Bose speakers.

N*Caddy
07-08-09, 10:30 PM
If you have BOSE any upgrade is a downgrade. If you have base get an OEM 12 Disk CD Changer.
If by any chance you do have BOSE but only tape (never hear of such after '98) then buy a '98-'00 OEM In dash CD BOSE HU (best update ever).
If you have base you can upgrade to BOSE (I did-it but is NOT going to be easy), but comparable in price (if DIY) with an aftermarket system, but WAY better sound quality and less issue after with the car.

But I already told you so on the other thread...

In the end is your car so all I am saying are things to consider, in the end is YOUR decision. Listen to as many opinions as possible, but keep in mind I am not trying to sell anything, some other opinions will come from people trying to sell you an aftermarket system. Have that in mind…you are not a fellow Cadillac owner, just a walking wallet.

SPreston2001
07-09-09, 02:09 AM
Its all depends on what look your going for. If you want your car to look stock, then buy a OEM headunit. But if you looking to improve the overall sound quality and features of your audio system (mp3, usb, bluetooth, etc.) then go aftermarket. The bose stereo in these cars sound good for a "factory" audio system but it in no way can compare to a decent aftermarket setup. Aftermarket can be pretty tricky on these cars if you have bose stereo, but hopefully you dont so installing a aftermarket deck should be a walk in the park.

Dudley Dawson
07-09-09, 11:35 AM
I do NOT have a Bose system. It is just a base cassette/radio system.

SPreston2001
07-09-09, 03:20 PM
Then definetely go aftermarket. Your OEM speakers will only sound decent at best. Rip out the headunit buy a nice aftermarket headunit, and install some good quality speakers and enjoy the music pumping out your new setup!

RippyPartsDept
11-19-10, 06:15 PM
I've got a customer with a 1998 eldo asking for a bose upgrade

i assume that the only bose upgrade available is the DIY upgrade that N*Caddy has done, which we (as a dealership) are definitely not going to offer to a customer

I see a U1R tape/cd head unit that wasn't bose that we might offer this customer as the only factory upgrade available (even though officially there are no factory radio upgrades)

any thoughts or other ideas?

N*Caddy
11-20-10, 08:10 PM
Hello Rippy, I am sorry for my delayed answer, in the last days I feel little bit under the weather (a "light" pneumonia - yup winter is coming).
I know about the existence of the in-Dash CD w/o Tape unit available on some DHS and SLS models, I have never see it other than 1 or 2 pictures. I looked in my FSM and I can not find it as an option, is all about UX8, UX9 and UY4 (actually a lot of U's) but all seem to have an external amplifier (BOSE or not).
In this case with external amplifier will not work. Do you happen to have a diagram for U1R?
In December is likely to come down for a week in NC (work related), at least is little warmer in there.

RippyPartsDept
11-21-10, 04:27 PM
i was just looking in the parts catalog so no diagram (yet)

not sure if i was clear enough, but the eldo currently just has the base (tape only) HU

but either way i'm pretty sure you can't upgrade from non-bose to bose without doing a ton of wiring work, right?

where in NC are you going?
and
hope you're feeling better

~Chris

N*Caddy
11-21-10, 11:31 PM
Yup, you are right, massive rewiring required. Check the other post (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/211854-installed-oem-hu-now-no-sound.html#post2422667) for a very simplified diagram.

I am going to Greensboro, so far I am 70% of my good health status, witch is better that what I had in the last few days.
Please post the diagram if you find it, I can have a quick estimate.

cadi509
12-06-10, 01:30 AM
Was it an option for the eldorado's to have factory navigation? As for the upgrade aftermarket can have tons of features, but the dash kits and all that just do not look as appealing to me in these styled interiors, I mean I have a pioneer avh-p4100dvd in my 2003 sts right now and I love the features it has, but I debate almost everyday to take it out.

ewill3rd
12-06-10, 09:29 AM
Go aftermarket, even if you find a stock head unit I have had massive problems with clearing the theft learn in some exchange radios.
I ended up rebuilding the last one so I could use the original board because 3 factory replacements wouldn't program.

N*Caddy
12-06-10, 11:46 PM
For MP3 and bluetooth integration a OEM base unit is just as involved as replacing with aftermarket. You can hook up AUX input and Bluetooth to ANY OEM HU, just that wires are not "labeled" as in the aftermarket stuff.
BOSE is easier to do than base, if you had BOSE and replaced the HU because you want mp3s and bluetooth then you just made a big mistake...it was so easy to add these to your OEM unit.

Jakesgeneral
12-24-10, 08:14 AM
Hi There. Id like to add an aux input to my 01 Eldo ESC so I can plug my ipod or mp3 player in. A local should shop quoted me $350 to to this. Does that sounds fair? Is there an aftermarket plug that I can do myself? A link to where I can order one? Thanks in advance. Jake

RippyPartsDept
12-24-10, 11:49 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/198769-aux-jack-input.html#post2228699
can be done to the factory head unit

i plan on doing this eventually to my own head unit

N*Caddy
12-24-10, 07:10 PM
$350!!!!! Wow, I sold few for ~$70, damn I am cheap...I guess that's why I don't do this for a living (just made few extra PCB's when I did mine).
I am working now on the mother of all AUX inputs with bluetooth integration and such. This will replace the AUX input I have now on my car so if you wait until the weather gets warm I you can have mine.