: Internet on the NAV Screen?

hugo
07-07-09, 04:21 PM
Since my 2008 STS is a two ton Verizon cell phone is it possible to access the Internet and display it on the NAV screen (with LockPick or ?)? I would like to check E-mail, pay bills online, play with my stocks, Etc.

OR

Perhaps even better, is there a way to link a Bluetooth, G3 cell phone to the NAV display? Even the iPhone display is too small and I don't want to drag a laptop around if I don't have to.

I would of course only do any of this while safely parked after purchasing an appropriate amount of McCrap at the drive thru window.

WillySTS
07-07-09, 05:42 PM
Since my 2008 STS is a two ton Verizon cell phone is it possible to access the Internet and display it on the NAV screen (with LockPick or ?)? I would like to check E-mail, pay bills online, play with my stocks, Etc.

OR

Perhaps even better, is there a way to link a Bluetooth, G3 cell phone to the NAV display? Even the iPhone display is too small and I don't want to drag a laptop around if I don't have to.

I would of course only do any of this while safely parked after purchasing an appropriate amount of McCrap at the drive thru window.

No:tisk:

It can't even download phone names/numbers. If it can't do that, it is not capable of transferring more complictaed info.:annoyed:

Angus Young
07-07-09, 06:56 PM
you can view it on the display if you have your lockpick, I have my sling box hooked up to my security cameras and my dish network and I can view it on my display

K STS
07-07-09, 08:59 PM
uh... how would you hook it up? RCA?

trackbait
07-07-09, 09:36 PM
With Lockpick (if you need while moving), I would think it could display anything with composite (yellow RCA) connector in the AUX Vid port.

Angus Young
07-07-09, 09:48 PM
yep yep

EChas3
07-08-09, 04:03 PM
yep yep

Using your laptop's yellow RCA connector (baseband video) will work but depending on the hardware, you may encounter a situation where you only get a portion of the screen and have to scroll within that window - no fun. Changing the PC's screen resolution can help.

Typically laptops use a function key to control multiple video display's. On the Dell I'm at right now, it's <Function><F8>. If you're not familar with your computer's video capabilities, check out the manufacturers website for your model before starting. You can save a lot of time and not mess yourself up.

Have fun!

nguyendot
07-11-09, 03:48 PM
So you want to hook up a computer - which is more hardware, through RCA - one of the worst forms of hookup for a high resolution device, an expect to be able to do anything with it? For video, it's fine, but for computer work, why not just uh... use the laptop screen. Unless you have a 7" laptop, every laptop out there is going to have a bigger, brighter, higher resolution display built in. Any output you get will be blurry at best.

The correct answer to the original question is: no.

K STS
07-11-09, 05:14 PM
i agree with dude above me completely.

EChas3
07-12-09, 07:28 PM
Hey! I took the question as "Could I ..." not "Should I ...":rolleyes:

Too bad we don't have a higher resolution input than analog video. The maximum usable in NTSC (the now obsolete US format) is 485 lines. I don't know the specs of the STS-Denso electronics & display but we could have as little as 220 lines of resolution.:p

hugo
07-13-09, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I checked with LockPick and got about the same answer. I guess I'll have to settle for an iPhone or something similar.

nguyendot
07-21-09, 08:03 PM
Either way thats so low of a resolution, and remember it's an interlaced input so you have to halve that number. You'll have scrolling lines all over. Bleh!

EChas3
07-21-09, 10:18 PM
Camcorder video looks 'way cool, though!

OlManRivah
07-27-09, 07:13 PM
Thank you Lord for not allowing some knuclehead coming at me in an STS while on the Internet.........:hide: I'm already dodging the Texters, the cell phone users, the tweeters, the DVD users.......:annoyed:

MacMuse
07-27-09, 10:49 PM
... I'm already dodging the Texters, the cell phone users, the tweeters, the DVD users.......:annoyed:

Reminds of a drive back to Illinois from the Wisconsin Dells from several years ago. I started catching a group of cars that were struggling to make the speed limit. As I weaved my way through them I finally figured out why.

I closed in on a pickup and noticed he was drifting in/out of his lane quite a bit. I became trapped behind him for a couple miles, and then... A second person 'appeared' from out of nowhere in the front seat. The driver finally settled down and kept it one lane. Ahh, now that's the original meaning of a distracted driver. :lildevil:

K STS
07-27-09, 11:17 PM
awesome