: roof rack removal?

02BLacLady
07-07-09, 04:12 AM
How do you get the bars that go across the roof off?

zerocarpileup
07-07-09, 04:41 AM
you have to remove the roof rack end caps.

you have to 1st loosen the black bars by twisting the knobs on each side of them(4 in total), then remove the roof rack end caps. Id rather do the rear ones as they popped off with a little less effort. be careful not to chip your paint, so id suggest using a a flat head screwdriver covered in tape. or if you have a good grip you can just get a firm grasp on them with your hands and pull them off, again, use solid gentle strength. once the end caps are off, just slowly and equally slide them out and replace the end caps. done.

sk7
07-20-09, 08:22 AM
I had to remove the complete assembly on mine in one piece as the two bars were stuck in place (rusty adjustement bolts). This will require removing all 4 trim covers (back ones were a pita to remove in my case), unscrew 2 T25 per corner, then slide forward or reverse about 1/2 inch to get the side rail to come off the center guide pin. It was then easier to apply anti seize lube on the bolts to get those bars to move. I did reinstall them via the back end.

Dendensterz
07-21-09, 08:47 PM
you have to remove the roof rack end caps.

you have to 1st loosen the black bars by twisting the knobs on each side of them(4 in total), then remove the roof rack end caps. Id rather do the rear ones as they popped off with a little less effort. be careful not to chip your paint, so id suggest using a a flat head screwdriver covered in tape. or if you have a good grip you can just get a firm grasp on them with your hands and pull them off, again, use solid gentle strength. once the end caps are off, just slowly and equally slide them out and replace the end caps. done.

Thats how its done! The esiest possible way of doing it..I used rubber gloves instead of covering it in tape..LOL