: Your MPG, lets debunk the gas guzzler stigma . . .

Aron9000
07-07-09, 03:53 AM
Just curious what sort of MPG everybody is getting with their RWD sled. I know the later years with the small block engines got pretty damn good mileage for a big car. The big block Cadillac motors guzzled the gas, but how bad?

Post up your MPG you get in daily driving and your best highway MPG. Tell us what year/engine/gear ratio you have.

In my 1991 Brougham D'Elegance with the 350 TBI, tow package, 3.08 rear end, I average 18mpg. Granted 50% of my driving is doing 60-70mph on the interstate, but that's pretty damn good in my book. Best MPG was on a road trip doing 85mph. 23.5mpg with just me in the car, I know it would've done better if I had slowed down, but I made that trip from downtown Chicago to Nashville via I-57 in 7 hours.

DerMann
07-07-09, 10:45 AM
Don't know if I'd consider it big-block, but the LT1 in my 95 Fleetwood gets pretty decent mileage. I got almost 400 miles out of my first tank of gas, so I'd speculate it was fairly close to 17, and all I drive is city. Not to mention I drive like a crazy person (novelty of the V8 still hasn't worn off - take advantage of that every day).

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've got the Brougham, so it's running on a 2.93:1 axle ratio.

scross
07-07-09, 11:07 AM
My 93 Fleetwoood Brougham averages 17 in town and 23 on the interstate. The best I have gotten was east of St. Louis to Louisville running 72 mph. That tank got 26 mpg!

Bro-Ham
07-07-09, 11:23 AM
Hi Aron, 1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance with stock 7.0 Liter/425 c.i. V8 4BBL. It's my daily driver, always averages 11 MPG city and 14 MPG highway. Highest gas mileage I saw a couple of different times was 15 while on trips. Car had 61k miles when I purchased it 4 1/2 years ago and now has 85k miles. I like my Cadillac because of its safety, speed, silence, smoothness and style, reliability, longevity and comfort. Despite owning a 2007 Honda Civic EX/Navi, I stopped driving this car two months ago and put it up for sale then started driving my Cadillac every day as my protest to the insanity of our politician's inability or unwillingness to drill for the abundant oil in our own country which would enable everyone the freedom to drive whatever they want. On the road, my Cadillac makes an impressive introduction of me to the nerdy Prius drivers putting along with their "think green" bumper stickers looking down their noses pretending like they are better than than everyone else. 11 MPG is a small price to pay to be an individual. The green nazis would love to send all of our fabulous big cars to the crusher - make no doubt about it. When the going gets tough the tough get going! Drill here drill now! There is no better symbol of prestige than our great American road cars! Get out and DRIVE 'EM!!! :-) Dave

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-07-09, 11:52 AM
When I went to Kansas a month ago the Brougham averaged about 20 on the highway at 65-70 with the A/C on and my family plus their luggage in the car. I have taken trips out to my Grandparent's farm with no A/C and the cruise set at 67 and gotten 23, but that's the highest. In the city I get like 13-14mpg and I drive it easy. It was designed to be a highway cruiser, not a city driver.

jey
07-07-09, 12:34 PM
93 with L05 350 and 3.73 gears. 15 mpg around town, hit 25 mpg one winter on a trip. Much better than our SUV.

DerMann
07-07-09, 12:45 PM
93 with L05 350 and 3.73 gears. 15 mpg around town, hit 25 mpg one winter on a trip. Much better than our SUV.

Funny thing about that. My mom has always been a strong proponent of large, luxury sedans (she owned three different Grand Marquis in the past 15 years or so), and on other hand my aunt and uncle have made horrible choices when buying cars. Their latest blunder was a Chrysler Pacifica (like a van but with no room) because they had a baby and wanted something van like. Bleeding thing gets AWFUL gas mileage. The EPA estimate itself is lower than that of what the Grand Marquis gets in reality. Not to mention that the Pacifica is horrible to drive and sit in. The other week, she borrowed it to take their kid to Brenham (about 100 miles round trip), and the tank only had about 1/4 tank left. Less than 15MPG. Wow.

They really don't make cars like they used to, nor do people buy cars like they used to. A Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, or even a Fleetwood is cheaper to operate, safer, more comfortable, easier to drive, cheaper to buy, have more practical space useage, and generally perform better than SUVs.

I wonder when this SUV craze is going to end :\

</rant>

sven914
07-07-09, 03:25 PM
1989 Brougham d'Elegance with an LV2 and a final drive ratio of 2.93:1, gets an annual fuel mileage of 16 mph (which includes 5-15 minutes of warm up at every cold start).

CoupedeVille'73
07-07-09, 03:47 PM
'73 CoupedeVille , 472cui, 750cfm Edelbrock, Performer Bridge, manual choke. Mostly overland usage,moderate driving:
15,7 mpg overall

77CDV
07-07-09, 09:17 PM
Both the '69 and the '77 usually average 13mpg in mixed driving.

Stingroo
07-07-09, 10:32 PM
Don't know if I'd consider it big-block, but the LT1 in my 95 Fleetwood gets pretty decent mileage. I got almost 400 miles out of my first tank of gas, so I'd speculate it was fairly close to 17, and all I drive is city. Not to mention I drive like a crazy person (novelty of the V8 still hasn't worn off - take advantage of that every day).

EDIT

Forgot to mention, I've got the Brougham, so it's running on a 2.93:1 axle ratio.

No, that's a small block, for the record.

jey
07-08-09, 01:01 PM
They really don't make cars like they used to, nor do people buy cars like they used to. A Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Town Car, or even a Fleetwood is cheaper to operate, safer, more comfortable, easier to drive, cheaper to buy, have more practical space useage, and generally perform better than SUVs.

I wonder when this SUV craze is going to end :

</rant>

Cash for Clunkers isn't going to do anything to it. Due to the higher resale value of SUVs I bet most of the cars that are going to get scrapped are these big sedans that are worth less than $4500. SUV owners are better off trading it in or selling it the normal way.

Aron9000
07-08-09, 03:54 PM
Cash for Clunkers isn't going to do anything to it. Due to the higher resale value of SUVs I bet most of the cars that are going to get scrapped are these big sedans that are worth less than $4500. SUV owners are better off trading it in or selling it the normal way.

There will be a ton of 1990's Blazers, Tahoes, Suburbans, Explorers, Grand Cherokees, etc that will be scrapped under this program.

Although most people who are driving around in a car worth 4k tops aren't going to have the money to buy a new $20-30k car.

EndlessRyd
07-08-09, 04:32 PM
I just want to add that, like BRO-HAM, I love pulling up next to a Prius, Civic or any other pregnant roller skate in the Caddy. I dont care how much gas costs, Im driving cars that I like to drive. I have a Silverado that gets about 16 MPG also. I love it. Someone at work said that the Brougham has to be the "most impractical car in the world." Maybe he's right, but thats exactly the reason I like it. I drive a lot (40-50K a year) and I want to do it safely, and comfortably. I also will not fill up at a Citgo station, as I don't particularly care for communist dictators.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-08-09, 07:41 PM
Although most people who are driving around in a car worth 4k tops aren't going to have the money to buy a new $20-30k car.

I will differ on this. My entire family gets full use out of their cars before buying something else. My dad's van, which was bought new in 1994, has 200k miles and is still in use today. We have the money for a new (my parents wrote a $28k check for my Mom's Blazer back in 2000) one but why buy a new one when the old one runs just fine?

Stingroo
07-08-09, 08:05 PM
I will differ on this. My entire family gets full use out of their cars before buying something else. My dad's van, which was bought new in 1994, has 200k miles and is still in use today. We have the money for a new (my parents wrote a $28k check for my Mom's Blazer back in 2000) one but why buy a new one when the old one runs just fine?

Agreed 100% on that. Why bother?

Also: I don't see how the Brougham is impractical at all. It's large, comfortable. EASILY sits four or five people, and has a trunk large enough for the Mafia's use. Impractical? I think not.

93DevilleUSMC
07-08-09, 08:14 PM
Don't know if I'd consider it big-block, but the LT1 ....

The LT-1 is an evolution of the original Chevy small-block V8, so you can call it a small-block.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-08-09, 10:09 PM
Also: I don't see how the Brougham is impractical at all. It's large, comfortable. EASILY sits four or five people, and has a trunk large enough for the Mafia's use. Impractical? I think not.

Mine is very impractical for daily driver use which is why I bought my Mark VII. It is too large to fit in most parking spaces and I could NEVER take it to the city because it would be impossible to park and maneuver in tight spaces. The last parking garage I had it in it stuck out from the spot by about a foot and a half. It is longer and wider than my Dad's full size van. Your car is slightly smaller than the older, boxy ones.

DopeStar 156
07-08-09, 11:52 PM
My last fill up my Fleetwood did 18 MPG. One summer I did a trip to Seaside Heights, then to Atlantic City, and back and got 400 miles out of my tank of gas which was pretty close to empty. I did the math and that trip was 20 MPG if not 21......

Aron9000
07-09-09, 01:59 AM
Mine is very impractical for daily driver use which is why I bought my Mark VII. It is too large to fit in most parking spaces and I could NEVER take it to the city because it would be impossible to park and maneuver in tight spaces. The last parking garage I had it in it stuck out from the spot by about a foot and a half. It is longer and wider than my Dad's full size van. Your car is slightly smaller than the older, boxy ones.

I got mine to fit in a Chicago parking garage just fine when I was up there last year. Although it isn't an experience I would like to repeat, I kind of lucked out that the garage was pretty easy to maneuver in. Around where I live, everybody drives duallys, and the spots are generously sized.

Also, the 93-96 Fleetwood was a 3-4" inches longer and a couple of inches wider than the 80-92 body style. The rounded styling makes it look a lot more massive IMO.

caddeville89
07-09-09, 08:41 AM

Yah I've totally driven around Boston in my '90 FWB. I figure it as a "middle finger" to the "they" that are trying to force us all in to the utilitarian-sized vehicles when my bumper sticks out of their way-too-small parking space. I agree with what somebody said above; slightly less MPG is a small price to pay to be an individual. I consider myself as having a better quality of life because I own and drive my FWB. That being said, I get about 16mpg around town, as I have a newly rebuilt 5.7 and a Turbo 350 trans.

My plan long-term is to keep my car. I will never buy a new vehicle EVER so the "Cash for Clunkers" deal will never appeal to me. Sorry, I just don't like the idea of new-car depreciation. I work too hard for the little money I have to just throw it away.

jey
07-09-09, 12:48 PM
I just want to add that, like BRO-HAM, I love pulling up next to a Prius, Civic or any other pregnant roller skate in the Caddy. I dont care how much gas costs, Im driving cars that I like to drive. I

Prius drivers around here are weird. The last 3 times I've rolled up next to one I got a drag race out of it.

Yup same situation here, but on the same logic why would I cash my clunker in for $4500 and pay another $20k for a new car when the old one runs just fine?

Stingroo
07-09-09, 01:33 PM
LOL I saw a Prius race yesterday. I couldn't help but laugh. They were both doing around 85 on the highway, and you could totally see them eyeballing each other the whole way.

I think I pissed them both off when I blew past at about 100 in my dad's Mazda.

Fun stuff. lol

And I agree with everyone who says Individuality > MPG. Honestly, I don't see why people make such a huge gripe over MPG. I'm pretty sure if you own a luxury sedan, or a huge SUV or truck, you're AWARE that it consumes gas. I for one would rather walk than ever drive a stupid econobox.

DerMann
07-09-09, 02:53 PM
I got mine to fit in a Chicago parking garage just fine when I was up there last year. Although it isn't an experience I would like to repeat, I kind of lucked out that the garage was pretty easy to maneuver in. Around where I live, everybody drives duallys, and the spots are generously sized.

Also, the 93-96 Fleetwood was a 3-4" inches longer and a couple of inches wider than the 80-92 body style. The rounded styling makes it look a lot more massive IMO.

I get into the parking garage at the movie theatre easily enough. Even though most people drive SUVs and large trucks here, parking garages are usually pretty tight. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them, though. Every day at work I back up into a spot and never have any problems with space (well it sticks out further than any other car on the lot). At home we have a pretty average sized drive way (leaning on the small side), and we manage to fit a Geo Metro, 1967 Ford Mustang, Grand Marquis, and my FWB with no problems.

I drove a sub-compact for almost three years straight (put almost 10000 miles on it), and it's really not any fun. Sure it'll fit in any parking spot and you'll never have any worries about gas; but it's cramped, noisy, sluggish, primitive, and an eyesore. Believe me, I loved being able to fill up my car with $20 while prices were hitting $4/gallon, but it wasn't a car that I enjoyed calling my own.

Unless you commute more than 50 miles to work, there's no reason why you need to worry about fuel economy. A tank of gas in my FWB lasts me a pay period (2 weeks), and that's not just the 10 miles to and from work every day, it's going out nearly every night and on the weekends.

When any sort of import lands next to me at a red light and we're the first cars, I always fly out of the intersection to illustrate the superiority of American automotive. Hell, I even did that to a 2004ish Cadillac CTS (and he was into it too). We were going side by side for a while, I passed him up, then he sped up and quickly passed me. After we both turned onto another road, I took it up to 60, passed him, and left him in the dust.

The 1993-1996 Fleetwoods are the last of an era. No more will you see a sedan of such prolific stature. Production sedans are getting smaller and less powerful. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marquis are next in line for castration.

thefleetwoodguy
07-09-09, 03:11 PM
my 94 black/grey, fltwd does an honest 22 mpg, highway, thats with cruise set at 75 mph,
also has a low milage of 186,000
doesnt leak, or burn/use any oil
and runs as good today as it did back at 70k miles,
OK so I look like a funeral director , but its worth it!!!

sven914
07-09-09, 07:16 PM
I honestly don't see what is so impractical about taking up two lanes of traffic and going five miles below the speed limit (she'll go faster, but has about 2 1/2 tons worth of excuses not to). It's like being the head of your own parade.

You ever curb your tires, so the front clip takes up the entire sidewalk, and still have about a foot of trunk left in no-mans land?

Warren_R
07-10-09, 04:50 AM
As above, I could care less about about MPG -- no way I'd give up my Cadillac for an econobox. She gets about 18 city & 20 or so on the freeway. I always enjoy rolling past a Prius, Minicooper, or other rollerskate with a fuel tank :)
I drove a VW bug for 9 years; no way in Hades I'm ever going back to that again! Parking isn't usually an issue, my habit being to park on the periphery where there's plenty of room & enjoy the walk.

CoupedeVille'73
07-10-09, 09:09 AM
It's like being the head of your own parade.
you're so right :highfive:

Old Fleetwood
07-10-09, 04:25 PM
Big brother can take their Hopey-Changey/Drive Tiny crap and put it where the sun don't shine. I'd rather not be the poor slob below:

fleetwood76
07-10-09, 09:07 PM
Hello.

The car- Fleetwood Brougham -76.

Engine - 500
Trans - 3 sp Auto
Gear ratio - 2.73:1

MPG typical 11. I fill the tank (27.5 Gal) when i have driven about 270 - 280 miles and fill about 25 Gal. then.

MPG lowest 14. A 470 miles trip when I went and bought the car and drove it home.

Practicality- Parking and so- I Live in Europe. I add links to some pics where my car is parked next to my mothers car, A Peugeot 206, a very common and normal car size here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4395/cat/500/ppuser/20432
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4397/cat/500/ppuser/20432
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4396/cat/500/ppuser/20432

Practicality- Space inside car- not many normal cars here can match it. Easily room for 6 persons and all there luggage, plus the view over the long hood, with a proper wreath and crest.

"It's like being the head of your own parade."

So true, and well put

jolle

codewize
07-10-09, 10:20 PM
My 93 Brougham got 24 - 26 on the hi-way and averaged about 22 - 24

flux1414
07-11-09, 02:57 PM
@Fleetwood76

I love the fact that these old Caddies made it off the American continent. I can only imagine the look on people's faces when your '76 with a 500 goes thundering by. Spectacular :thumbsup:!

For the sake of others across the pond, I hope you're a good driver (I have no doubt you are). I can only imagine what a '76 would do to any typical european vehicle in a collision. I imagine it would be something akin to:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbVFWnJg22M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbVFWnJg22M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stingroo
07-11-09, 03:51 PM
Lmao Flux.

I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a 300ZX and he's coming down for a visit, and he was like "Hopefully your Caddy is registered by the time I come down, we can have a little race." and I was like "Why? My car is like 4800 pounds with me in it, you'd smoke me." and he says "Yeah, but it would be fun for me to see you watching my brake lights all the way down the road."

My reply?

"Yeah, until I rear-end you and end up picking 300ZX out of my grille for the next week or two."

Long live the RWD Caddies. :D

Caddy75
07-11-09, 08:58 PM
The range I've had from my '76 FWB carburetor version is 7.4 MPG to 12.8 MPG although fuels in New Zealand are a little different than Sweden and the US I imagine. And our highways are full of slow campervan drivers admiring the 'scenery" (its just sheep and mountains people nothing special)
On the 7.4 MPG tank I once did a job on it but it was winter so I just had the car running in the driveway for ages so it would warm up and I could use the heat coming from the engine for warmth ha ha
I also drove mine for all of Earthhour since CO2 is at an historic low.

Bro-Ham
07-12-09, 04:58 AM
I also drove mine for all of Earthhour since CO2 is at an historic low.

How true it is - yet here in the U.S. this is a political issue and our government has been enabled to take control by bribing folks here with cash incentives to trade in (and crush) gas guzzlers including Cadillacs. Where does this money come from? Our pockets. And it will become more expensive for us for no good reason. There is a love affair with the emperor which will hopefully come to an end once everyone is unemployed, broke, and riding an expensive hybrid/electric bus. Right now too many seem to be too eager to trade away their freedom. Hopefully the awakening will begin before too many of our precious Cadillacs and other fun cars are exterminated. The more fuel economy and emissions become an issue the more I will do my own part to say "STOP" by driving my glorious 11 MPG Cadillac everywhere every day! Happy motoring to all! :-)

Bro-Ham
07-12-09, 07:53 PM
Calculated my mileage today on my last tank of gas which was about 90% city with AC driving: 10.3 MPG Heeee Hawww!!! :)

Caddy75
07-14-09, 12:18 AM
Consumption is good.Mine also passed an emissions test although that doesn't test for CO2 but given the rate of fuel use I've calculated that the 500 cu in motor puts out 525g (or therabouts) of CO2 per km (about 1.93 lbs per mile) thats higher than any Rolls Royce or Ferrari of today heh heh USA USA USA!

Slacker
07-14-09, 11:02 AM
Last fill up in my '82 Coup was around 11-13mpg. That's with the 3.23 (I think) rear that came with the ht4100, a th200 3spd trans and an Olds 307 using vac advance and non-computer carb. (No computer).

I just rebuilt the carb last night. (It's a 4MV Rochester from a '74 Olds, never been rebuilt before) Man was that thing dirty and worn! Hopefully now that it's rebuilt, when I slap it back in today I'll see some increase in MPGs. It was overflowing fuel before from a sunk float and a cracked accelerator pump gasket.

Aron9000
07-14-09, 04:05 PM
I just rebuilt the carb last night. (It's a 4MV Rochester from a '74 Olds, never been rebuilt before) Man was that thing dirty and worn! Hopefully now that it's rebuilt, when I slap it back in today I'll see some increase in MPGs. It was overflowing fuel before from a sunk float and a cracked accelerator pump gasket.

It'll be a night and day difference in how well it runs.

perks
07-15-09, 08:24 PM
"Debunk?" Ha! My '63 with the 390 very reliably gets about 8 city, 11-12 highway.

I've actually hit 30+ mpg on the highway in my '07 Dodge Charger R/T with the multi-displacement system, which of course isn't as heavy as the big-body Caddys but which would tell you how much more efficient the later Fleetwoods et al. could have been had GM bothered to work the bugs out of its V8-6-4 system...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-15-09, 10:32 PM
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the V8-6-4 engine. Customers did not like it because it ran rough in 6 cylinder mode. All you have to do is disconnect the 6 cylinder mode by installing a simple resistor and you will never know whether it is running on 8 or 4 cylinders. The mileage on those is over 30 on the highway if driven at a respectable speed (55-65).

Bro-Ham
07-15-09, 11:52 PM
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the V8-6-4 engine. Customers did not like it because it ran rough in 6 cylinder mode. All you have to do is disconnect the 6 cylinder mode by installing a simple resistor and you will never know whether it is running on 8 or 4 cylinders. The mileage on those is over 30 on the highway if driven at a respectable speed (55-65).

I had a really nice '81 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe with the V8-6-4 and the fuel injection was smooooth and silky with the 368 although my mileage was always in the teens even when driven conservatively. The cylinder deactivation was annoyingly jerk-a-derk which felt crude for a Cadillac. Six cylinder mode actually pulsed! Four cylinder mode wasn't enough power even when light on the gas pedal which caused plenty of moving around between 4 and 6 cylinders when cruising and no incline could be made in 4 cylinder mode. Eight cylinders was great! That engine was never EPA rated at anywhere near 30 MPG otherwise Cadillac would have perfected it instead of replacing it with the HT4100 which got mileage of maybe low 20's highway mpg?

A few years ago on this forum there was lots of talk about adding the 1981 V8-6-4 cylinder deactivation to large 500 engines. I couldn't even believe it. :) To me it sounded like one of those things that looked good on paper.... We haven't heard much about those projects and I wonder if they ever happened or what the results were if they actually did it.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-16-09, 12:22 AM
I know someone who has a Seville with the V8-6-4 that he removed the 6 cylinder mode from and driving on the highway at 55 it gets 31mpg. However, that is in IL where the roads are long and flat.

perks
07-16-09, 02:40 AM
I quite agree. The system did work. However, I've driven an older SDV with an intact V8-6-4 setup and, as has already been noted, it felt rough and crude. Definitely not on par with what your average Cadillac buyer would expect. And that's the problem: a piece of vehicle equipment should not require that you disconnect something in order for it to run correctly. Ergo, in the public's view, it was problematic. But the fact that GM knowingly introduced it before they had a perfect system--both mechanically and aesthetically (i.e., without the disconcerting clunks and jerks)--doomed the system in the public eye. It didn't help that this was right around the same time GM was dealing with their floundering diesel engines.

Contrast that with my Charger, where you do notice the re-firing of the cylinders but only if you're paying close attention, and I'm sold on the concept. (And knowing that it really does work, I'm quite surprised it hasn't made more of a comeback amongst other automotive brands, especially amongst those brands with the stigma of being gas guzzlers.)

Aron9000
07-16-09, 04:03 AM
^ GM trucks use displacement on demand(GM calls it active fuel management). Honda also uses it on their V6 motors.

aborrego
07-16-09, 04:36 AM
My 1998 Deville With 4.6L northstar gives me about 18 city and 32 HWY(MAX But Avg 25)

CoupedeVille'73
07-16-09, 04:04 PM
@Fleetwood76

I love the fact that these old Caddies made it off the American continent. I can only imagine the look on people's faces when your '76 with a 500 goes thundering by. Spectacular :thumbsup:!

For the sake of others across the pond, I hope you're a good driver (I have no doubt you are). I can only imagine what a '76 would do to any typical european vehicle in a collision. I imagine it would be something akin to:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbVFWnJg22M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbVFWnJg22M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A Smart isn't a "typical" european vehicle.
I'd rather walk than have one...
Or ride a Segway

sven914
07-16-09, 04:09 PM
My 1998 Deville With 4.6L northstar gives me about 18 city and 32 HWY(MAX But Avg 25)

Real nice for a Front Wheel Drive.

MotoMel
07-19-09, 10:17 PM
Hi Aron, 1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance with stock 7.0 Liter/425 c.i. V8 4BBL. It's my daily driver, always averages 11 MPG city and 14 MPG highway. Highest gas mileage I saw a couple of different times was 15 while on trips. Car had 61k miles when I purchased it 4 1/2 years ago and now has 85k miles. I like my Cadillac because of its safety, speed, silence, smoothness and style, reliability, longevity and comfort. Despite owning a 2007 Honda Civic EX/Navi, I stopped driving this car two months ago and put it up for sale then started driving my Cadillac every day as my protest to the insanity of our politician's inability or unwillingness to drill for the abundant oil in our own country which would enable everyone the freedom to drive whatever they want. On the road, my Cadillac makes an impressive introduction of me to the nerdy Prius drivers putting along with their "think green" bumper stickers looking down their noses pretending like they are better than than everyone else. 11 MPG is a small price to pay to be an individual. The green nazis would love to send all of our fabulous big cars to the crusher - make no doubt about it. When the going gets tough the tough get going! Drill here drill now! There is no better symbol of prestige than our great American road cars! Get out and DRIVE 'EM!!! :-) Dave

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm a newbie here to your board, possibly to buy a Cadillac in the near future. I'm usually on the various Lincoln, Ford (trucks and 'stang boards), I would like another '53 convertible or coupe De Ville or a '60 convertible or coupe De Ville. I've got a long history in cars and presently own a '94 Lincoln Mark VIII and a '98 Expedition 4X4and a '91 Ranger 4X4 with a 4.0 engine. Currently my expedition is undergoing an engine transplant. The 4.6 SOHC is coming out and a Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC is going in. I'm not writing this to promote Ford or Ford products but, I get 19/21 mpg around town in my Mark VIII that currently has 192,000 miles on it and up to 27 mpg on trips that are all highway. I use cruise control as much as possible and it really helps. I had a '95 Pontiac Trans Am with a 305 engine that gave me a bit more than 28 mpg highway using the same driving techniques. I love American cars and I've only had 1 foreign car, a 1964 Ferrarri 2+2. A nice car but not worth the horrid prices they command. A real PIA to maintain with 12 cylinders and 6 Weber carbs, no foot space for American feet and hot as hell in the summer time in South Florida, especially in the daytime. I had it for about 4 months and found a lawyer with too much money and off loaded it to him for a good profit. Just remember that if it gets to the point where the only new cars sold in America are made outside of America it will be the fault of Americans. BUY AMERICAN! The job you save may be your own!

MotoMel

Bro-Ham
07-20-09, 11:54 AM
I drove from Sarasota to Naples and back on Friday which was 210 miles round trip. I filled the car when I left and then again when I returned. It was a little over 90 degrees outside. I drove a brisk 80 mph with the AC on and was in a hurry and wasn't trying to conserve fuel in any way. Gas gauge was under 1/4 of a tank when I returned! I tested the MPG at the fill up and it was 12.5 mpg!!! Not the greatest but I made it to my destination on time and in supreme armchair comfort! I love these cars!

96Fleetwood
07-20-09, 03:57 PM
. I'm not writing this to promote Ford or Ford products but, I get 19/21 mpg around town in my Mark VIII that currently has 192,000 miles on it and up to 27 mpg on trips that are all highway. I use cruise control as much as possible and it really helps.

Best I have achieved in my Marauder is 17/23 (city/hwy)... and it has the same DOHC 4.6 liter.

sven914
07-24-09, 11:54 PM
I just calculated my gas mileage for the last 2 weeks (last tank) and I got 23.74 miles to the gallon.:cool2:

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 12:56 PM
Hi, President Obama came by my house today and said he noticed my tire pressure looked low on my car. I told him to get lost and talk to someone who cares! Well, I was curious after he left and checked my tire pressure and sure enough - - 3 of them were REALLY low! That may explain my recent poor highway fuel economy on a trip with 12.5 mpg. According to the factory sticker on my door I should have 32 psi in all 4 tires. The left front, which is the spare but a matching tire to the rest of the set, has 20 psi, the left rear has 25 psi, the right rear had 35 psi and I lowered it to 32, and the right front has 25 psi. Ooops!!! I am going to fill them all to the proper levels and see if there is an improvement in the way the car drives and I'll check the mileage again since I recently filled it and pressed the trip odometer. Dave :)

sven914
07-27-09, 08:18 PM
You know Obama's got your back:thumbsup:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-27-09, 08:26 PM
I never go by the door when filling tires. I almost always go by the tire's maximum pressure. My old '88 said to fill the tires to only 28 psi, which will give it a cushy feeling but really bad tire wear. Mine are usually filled to 35 in the summer and 40 in the winter (I fill them on warm days so the pressure goes down as it gets colder).

sven914
07-27-09, 09:56 PM
I never go by the door when filling tires. I almost always go by the tire's maximum pressure. My old '88 said to fill the tires to only 28 psi, which will give it a cushy feeling but really bad tire wear. Mine are usually filled to 35 in the summer and 40 in the winter (I fill them on warm days so the pressure goes down as it gets colder).

NEVER go by the PSI on the sidewall. That is the maximum pressure the tire can withstand at the maximum load. The uneven wear you are more than likely experiencing is not you alignment, it is your tires being over inflated.

As for my credentials to being able to make this statement; I am a former employee of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

Bro-Ham
07-27-09, 10:06 PM
dirt cheap, how does it ride?? How much difference is there between 32 and 35 or even 40? I like the cushy ride.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-27-09, 11:49 PM
NEVER go by the PSI on the sidewall. That is the maximum pressure the tire can withstand at the maximum load. The uneven wear you are more than likely experiencing is not you alignment, it is your tires being over inflated.

As for my credentials to being able to make this statement; I am a former employee of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

Eh. The tires on my Lincoln are rated at 44 psi and I have them filled to 40. The ones on the Brougham are rated at 35 and that is what I have them filled to. There is absolutely no wear issue with the pressures I am running them at but if I run them lower it wears heavily on the outer edge, especially on the Brougham because it's so front heavy.

dirt cheap, how does it ride?? How much difference is there between 32 and 35 or even 40? I like the cushy ride.

I don't notice any difference. However, of my cars have stiffer suspension (the Lincoln is the sport model and the Brougham has the tow package) than their standard counterparts so I am used to feeling the smaller cracks and bumps in the road.

sven914
07-28-09, 02:05 AM
Eh. The tires on my Lincoln are rated at 44 psi and I have them filled to 40. The ones on the Brougham are rated at 35 and that is what I have them filled to. There is absolutely no wear issue with the pressures I am running them at but if I run them lower it wears heavily on the outer edge, especially on the Brougham because it's so front heavy.

35 isn't bad, but 40 is excessive. The maximum pressure on the sidewall is only used in heavy towing or hauling applications, to keep the sidewall from buckling. The PSI on the door placard is specified for unloaded applications, to maximize vehicle safety and fuel mileage.

If you're not experiencing tire wear, with the tires over inflated, and the vehicle unloaded, then you may have an alignment problem. The camber could be slightly out of spec, which is causing more pressure on the outer edge of the tire as it rides on the road, when properly inflated. When the tire is over inflated the center of the tread is pushed up and could be taking the pressure off of the outer edge.

Bro-Ham
07-28-09, 11:09 AM
All my tires are now at 32psi - - what a difference! The car rides like a magic carpet as it should! I will report on gas mileage once I get low on fuel and fill up again.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-28-09, 06:06 PM
35 isn't bad, but 40 is excessive. The maximum pressure on the sidewall is only used in heavy towing or hauling applications, to keep the sidewall from buckling. The PSI on the door placard is specified for unloaded applications, to maximize vehicle safety and fuel mileage.

If you're not experiencing tire wear, with the tires over inflated, and the vehicle unloaded, then you may have an alignment problem. The camber could be slightly out of spec, which is causing more pressure on the outer edge of the tire as it rides on the road, when properly inflated. When the tire is over inflated the center of the tread is pushed up and could be taking the pressure off of the outer edge.

I like the way it rides at 40 better. Less scrubbing in the sidewalls when I whip it around a corner.

The alignment on the Brougham is dead on. I had it on the alignment rack at school a few months ago and everything is to factory spec.

Angry Matt
09-01-09, 08:50 PM
I can finally add to this thread. I've been procrastinating on tracking my mileage for a while. The '81 fwb v6 got slightly over 19 this week, about half around town and half a ride to the shore on the highway. The egr is currently plugged, I'm not sure how that is effecting it. I'm content I guess.

sven914
09-01-09, 09:07 PM
If anything is going to debunk the whole Cadillac gas guzzler stigma, it will be the fact that in 2009, there was a gasoline-electric Hybrid that has an EPA estimated mileage of 23mpg (22 city/25 highway) and an MSRP of $56,550 (and you have to use premium gasoline).

I give you the Lexus GS 450 Hybrid

http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/images/Auto/chrome/308437/308437_280x140.jpg

Which is a glorified

http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/images/2009-camry-toyota.jpg

Stingroo
09-01-09, 09:19 PM
lol Lexus hybrids make me laugh every time. Whenever I see someone driving one, I can't help but think of how much of a pompous self-righteous Al Gore worshiper they must be. "Yeah.. let's save the planet by buying a hybrid! Not by downgrading to like, a cheaper car, because I'm far too good for that, but my car has an H on it."

Makes my day.

HUF
09-01-09, 10:43 PM
Is it possible to get Instant Economy, Average Economy, Fuel Used data on 93-95 Fleetwoods? One of the favotie features of my 91 Seville is that you can see almost everything you want to on the driver info center.

Angry Matt
09-01-09, 11:40 PM
Anybody remember the South Park episode where the hybrid owners all sniffed their own farts because they were so much better than everyone?

sven914
09-02-09, 12:19 AM
Yes and San Francisco disappeared up it's own a**hole.

Aron9000
09-02-09, 01:52 AM
If anything is going to debunk the whole Cadillac gas guzzler stigma, it will be the fact that in 2009, there was a gasoline-electric Hybrid that has an EPA estimated mileage of 23mpg (22 city/25 highway) and an MSRP of $56,550 (and you have to use premium gasoline).

I give you the Lexus GS 450 Hybrid

http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/images/Auto/chrome/308437/308437_280x140.jpg

Which is a glorified

http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/images/2009-camry-toyota.jpg

Not to nitpick or stand up for Toyota, but the Lexus GS series has almost nothing mechanically in common with the Camry. The GS is RWD or AWD, with the engine sitting north-south. Camry is FWD with the engine mounted east west.

That being said, the combined 23mpg for the hybrid GS450h is so much better than the combined 22mpg for the v6 GS350. The hybrid has more 37 hp, but it is offset by an extra 400lbs vs the v6 model.

I really think the government should force its hand against hybrid technology and instead start encouraging the development of fuel efficient diesels. The reason hybrid cars exist is partly due to government regulations being unfriendly towards diesel cars. The total environmental impact of hybrids and their toxic batteries is equivlent to all the gas a 14mpg Escalade will guzzle over its lifetime.

Bro-Ham
09-02-09, 04:26 AM
Tonight I was looking at my Edmunds car price book from 1979 and saw the d'Elegance package on my 79 Sedan deVille originally cost $755 which was a good amount of money in 1979 when the base retail of the car was only $11,739. I would bet the cost for Cadillac to produce the d'Elegance model was a tiny fraction of the price charged to the customer. Emotions trump logic and people like things that are special so buyers who checked that option box probably didn't care and wrote the check for the feeling of prestige at the country club driving a fancy deVille d'Elegance instead of a standard deVille like every other schmuck. We all have egos. :)

Same for hybrid models. They make no economic sense considering the price premium compared to the amount of time it would take in gas savings to to justify paying more for the hybrid. "Drill here, drill now" would kill hybrid sales completely since hybrids stack up like cord wood at the car dealers when gas is cheap because people really want big, safe, and comfortable vehicles. But economy isn't why hybrid buyers check the hybrid option box on the order form. They are paying for the liberal environmentalist's equivalent of the d'Elegance package. These people want to look like they care and are saving the world from "global warming" - - wait, it's not warming anymore so what's the latest propaganda?? "climate change." :) BS. Don't get me going... Anyway, hybrid buyers are paying for prestige and the look of political correctness and they pay the d'Elegance premium to get it. Hybrid owners don't go to country clubs to show off but, rather, they like to show off at the PETA rally or to the folks who live in the commune next door with the old Geo Metro with 50 anti-war and Obama bumper stickers.

Car manufacturers are no dummies and will make exactly what people want and charge accordingly. Hybrid buyers won't be in vogue forever. Don't let the government crush any more big cars or keep gas prices high and do some thinking before the next election. :)

Aron9000
09-02-09, 04:51 AM
That same logic for the D'Elegance can be applied to factory navigation units. They're pretty standard in 50k+ luxury cars nowdays, but they're still an option on the 3 series, G35, TL, Camry, Tahoe, Suburban, Camry, etc. The option usually runs $1500-$2000. You can go to best buy and get a garman unit for $200 and use it in all of your cars, checking the box for navigation is simply to impress the neighbors IMO.

Cadillacboy
09-02-09, 01:08 PM
Let's not forget you wouldnt but a hybrid for its cheap maintenance , when it goes down , your would-be savings will return you as a big repair bill ,calling last gen Cadillacs as gas guzzlers makes me laugh too

sven914
09-03-09, 12:38 AM
Pretty much the only reason manufactures make Hybrid vehicles is because a certain portion of their overall fleet must meet the strictest CAFE standards, in order for other vehicles to be able to be produced out of CAFE guidelines. General Motors is seen as one entity, and not as a group of diverse manufactures, so the GM fleet must meet a specific CAFE standard. Because GM wants to produce SUV's, Pickup trucks, and Cadillacs with as little restriction as possible, they must balance their fleet out with smaller Fuel efficient cars. For this reason, you see a huge increase of small economy cars (Citation, Cimarron, Seville, Cavalier, S-10) after 1975, which was to support the larger GM cars (Fleetwood Brougham, de Ville, 88, 98, Electra, Bonneville, Suburban, Parisienne). As CAFE Standards tightened, it wasn't good enough to just have small cars in your fleet, so in 2002, General Motors came out with their first hybrid; the Saturn Vue. Now almost every GM make and model has a hybrid option which effectively counters the inefficiency of the non hybrids in the fleet.

N0DIH
09-03-09, 09:43 AM
My 94 Fleetwood V4P with 3.42's NEVER got over 22 mpg highway, no matter how I drove. I grannied it, drove it faster and harder, no change. I put in 3.08's, no change! I have PCM tuned it, nothing, no change.

I get 21-22 highway, 18.5-19.5 city highway, 16 hard city, gear hardly made a diff (pun intended....)

I can usually pull off 400 miles to a tank pretty regularly, but that is a pretty empty tank.

Now I like to run E85 because I can (1.95 a gallon here right now) and I get around 15.5-17 city highway (where I got 18.5-19.5 on gas). The LT1 likes E85.... But must be tuned for it.....

No, they don't do bad on mpg..... Not terrible, but not bad at all. Sure beats my 454 Suburban which gets around 10 city.....

My 76 Delta 88 Royale, 2.73's, 350 Olds 4BBL, THM375 (essentially a light duty THM400), 4860 lbs, a few times got 23 highway, but typically averaged 18-20 highway.
My 80 Turbo Trans AM, 3.08's THM350, Turbo 301 V8, got 23 easy highway @ 55-57 mph, but dropped to 18.5 when speeds were over 65 mph.
My 91 Deville 4.9L got 27-29 highway pretty easily, 23-24 city/highway (same as my FW above), 19-20 hard city
My 99 Suburban K2500 454 gets 10 city, 10-11 city/highway and best of 15.1 highway (yes I broke the 15 mpg barrier!!! 106 mile round trip, so got wind at least half the trip)
My 85 Cutlass 307 got best of 27.3 highway, typically 25 was pretty easy highway, 17-19 city highway was generally not a problem. 16-17 city, 2.14 gears.
My 85 Cutlass 350 got a best of 23.5 highway, typical too, 17 city/highway, 15-16 city, 2.14 gears
My 85 Cutlass 350 got a best of 21.5 highway, 17 city/highway, 15-16 city, 2.56 gears (no OD)
My 91 Bonneville 3800 got an all time best of 36.5, with a return trip of 32.5, basically around 600 miles on 16.5 gallons of gas....AND an overnight stay. 24-25 city highway (same as above trip), 29-32 highway was commonplace, 21-22 city was the norm.

Stingroo
09-03-09, 10:23 AM
I envy you, sir. I was supposed to get an '80 Turbo T/A myself. My dad's best friend who collected cars was going to give it to my dad, who was going to give it to me when I graduated.

He took it for a drive to test it out, since it had been sitting in storage with a few of his other cars, and he got rear ended by a drunk driver in a pickup truck, which pushed him into the back of a box truck.

I was very sad that day. Fortunately, my dad's friend came out of it all right, and still races his Cutlass, as well as drives all of his other cars.

N0DIH
09-03-09, 10:50 AM
Bummer! At least he was ok, that is the more important thing.

Mine I have had since 1986, has 67K miles or so, but is rusting away due to elements. I have given up the idea of restoring it, and figure I will just go racing! Why not, I tried to sell or trade (would like a 3rd or 4th gen V6 car to race with) and every deal falls through somehow.

So my plans are a LQ9 or LQ4 6.0L, L92 heads, L76 intake, and eventually a turbo....

I envy you, sir. I was supposed to get an '80 Turbo T/A myself. My dad's best friend who collected cars was going to give it to my dad, who was going to give it to me when I graduated.

He took it for a drive to test it out, since it had been sitting in storage with a few of his other cars, and he got rear ended by a drunk driver in a pickup truck, which pushed him into the back of a box truck.

I was very sad that day. Fortunately, my dad's friend came out of it all right, and still races his Cutlass, as well as drives all of his other cars.

Stingroo
09-03-09, 11:15 AM
Yeah, it'd make a cool 1/4 mile car. Dad had a '79 in high school with a 455 that he raced. Car ran 10 flat like all day long.

When do you plan on hooking that car up?

[/thread hijack]

N0DIH
09-03-09, 02:29 PM
I hope to get an engine this winter and run it at least as an as is LQ4 or LQ9 with a cam, headers, converter and 3.90 gear, and then just have fun and then save for a turbo, and then start working next winter on the turbo project.

As for mpg, my 80 Turbo T/A when I put in the 455 I had, (stock 1970 455, 10:1 compression) was 11 city and 16 highway. I put a cam in it, 228 @ 0.050 and .480 lift and ended up with 15 highway and 11 city. Drivability was the same, had a choking 2" duals on it and manifolds....

Yeah, it'd make a cool 1/4 mile car. Dad had a '79 in high school with a 455 that he raced. Car ran 10 flat like all day long.

When do you plan on hooking that car up?

[/thread hijack]

Bro-Ham
09-03-09, 10:27 PM
Where can I get a "hybrid" emblem for my car? No place to park today at school - except all the vacant spaces in front of the building my classes are held in marked "reserved for hybrid vehicles only - NO SUVs." One spot available and there were cars in the other hybrid spots but they sure as hell weren't hybrids so I said screw it and parked there. When I returned my car looked fabulously dignified positioned in front of the building, where it should be, and still no hybrids in all the wasted hybrid spots. Only at a school would this type of nonsense be seen. I dislike hybrids and their owners are questionable. :)

Stingroo
09-03-09, 11:00 PM
LOL Hybrid only parking. That's ridiculous.

Angry Matt
09-03-09, 11:03 PM
There are seriously hybrid spots? That's absolutely ridiculous, I've never seen that. I don't think there's much of a question about hybrid owners. It's pretty obvious what's going on there...

Lazarus_Rooney
09-03-09, 11:08 PM
Where can I get a "hybrid" emblem for my car? No place to park today at school - except all the vacant spaces in front of the building my classes are held in marked "reserved for hybrid vehicles only - NO SUVs." One spot available and there were cars in the other hybrid spots but they sure as hell weren't hybrids so I said screw it and parked there. When I returned my car looked fabulously dignified positioned in front of the building, where it should be, and still no hybrids in all the wasted hybrid spots. Only at a school would this type of nonsense be seen. I dislike hybrids and their owners are questionable. :)

I would have taken up as many spaces as possible. Hybrid parking only? Ill drop the subject before my blood starts to boil.

sven914
09-04-09, 12:33 AM
Technically, if you want to stretch the limits of reality, and think out side of the box, all of our cars are hybrid vehicles. Hybrids come in two forms; full hybrids, which use electric motors to power the vehicle's motion (the engine is only used to charge the batteries) and mild hybrids which use electronics to assist the vehicles combustion engine in the vehicle's motion.

Everyone of our cars requires the use of electronics to function; some more than others. If you strip the electronics from our cars, then the engine will not even run. Many of our car's require the electronics to increase efficiency and decrease exhaust emissions, which is exactly what the electronics in mild hybrids do.

The only difference between our cars and a mild hybrid is fact that mild hybrids have special starters, alternators, AC compressors or transmissions, which can turn the motor to reduce engine load (but the car cannot be driven down the road by the alternator). Many of our cars though have alternators and AC compressors which decrease their output under times of heavy load, and some others have electronically controlled transmissions that pinpoint optimal shift points to increase economy.

N0DIH
09-04-09, 01:59 AM
I would park my 454 Suburban in one, make that two spots in a heartbeat. They can't enforce it nor legally make a claim like hybrid parking.

They would have some serious problems....

There are seriously hybrid spots? That's absolutely ridiculous, I've never seen that. I don't think there's much of a question about hybrid owners. It's pretty obvious what's going on there...

Bro-Ham
09-04-09, 02:01 AM
I would have taken up as many spaces as possible.

I was thinking about that when I took the picture. :) Just wait until I get in that parking lot next time... Hybrids are un-American and disgraceful! There is no global warming and our country has an abundance of oil! It is time for cheap American gasoline or, in the meantime while we wait for relief, front row parking spots for the gas guzzlers so we won't spend 1/2 an hour burning up gas in the parking lot driving all around looking for places to park!

caddeville89
09-04-09, 08:08 AM

An excellent kick in the nuts for the eco-Nazi's. Nice work! :bighead:

Stingroo
09-04-09, 08:36 AM
Honestly, I'd have parked 100% sideways, taking up 3-4 spots. And if I was asked why, I'd say

"Oh, I'm towing my invisible boat. It's just like a regular boat, only it doesn't use gas."

Bro-Ham
09-04-09, 06:51 PM
By request, I had to go to school today again, it is 50+ miles away up in St. Petersburg, burned a ton of gas and spewed a whole bunch of emmissions getting there. :) In the socialist school parking lot today every hybrid spot was open. So, while I did business in the book store, the Cadillac made sure all the hybrid spots were looked after for a few minutes. A guy in a Ford truck drove by and gave me the thumbs up when I was getting in the car. We may be on to something here! :)

Stingroo
09-04-09, 07:47 PM
Hooray! Took my suggestion! LOL

What were you doing at the school anyway?

SedanDeVille75
09-04-09, 08:01 PM
thats an awesome shot, Bro-Ham. I'd be half-tempted to steal one of those signs and put it in my rear window for a week, or post it up at the house.

Stingroo
09-04-09, 08:11 PM
LMAO! That's a good one. Loot one and put it in front of a gas pump or something.

Haha we're terrible. :D

Bro-Ham
09-04-09, 10:00 PM
I don't even want to touch one of those signs.... :)

COBlackZ06
09-04-09, 10:52 PM
Last month, I purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham. The drive from Florida back home to Colorado was an entirely highway trip, but even with the AC on the whole way, I averaged 22.8 MPG on the journey- the whole way. For a car this comfortable, this powerful, and this luxurious, I consider that a bargain.
:thumbsup:

N0DIH
09-04-09, 11:11 PM
Oxy-Acetelyne and I won't have to touch it either!

I don't even want to touch one of those signs.... :)

N0DIH
09-04-09, 11:13 PM
Very much so, and the V4P version will get a bit worse mpg, but can tow 7000 lbs, hard to beat that with a stick!

Last month, I purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham. The drive from Florida back home to Colorado was an entirely highway trip, but even with the AC on the whole way, I averaged 22.8 MPG on the journey- the whole way. For a car this comfortable, this powerful, and this luxurious, I consider that a bargain.
:thumbsup:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
09-05-09, 02:05 AM
Compact cars my ass.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0154.jpg

Bro-Ham
09-05-09, 02:38 AM
I love your light blue Brougham! Cloth or leather?

Lord Fleetwood
09-05-09, 03:39 AM
I can provide a bunch of gas mileage data from Cadillacs I have experienced over the years:

My old 1983 Coupe Deville with the HT4100 engine (that engine was the only bad thing about the car) got 16 around town and 22 or 23 on the highway.

A friend of mine had a 1985 Sedan Deville also with HT 4100 the got 17 in town and 24 on the highway.

I have a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance with the Olds 5.0 L that is currently getting 16/23.

The same friend later had a 1990 Fleetwood with the 4.5 L engine and that got around the same, 17/23-24.

I had a 1992 Fleetwood that had the 4.9 L engine in it and that got 17/25. I sold it to my brother and he complains the gas mileage isn't so good anymore - around 15/22 seems to be what is runs around now.

My sister has a 1994 Sedan Deville with the 4.9 L engine in it as well. That seems to get 17/23.

I also have a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with the 5.7 L LT1 engine. Back five years ago when I bought it it would give me an impressive 18/25. Nowadays it does more like 16/23-24.

Finally, the same friend from above now has a 1997 Deville with the 4.6 L Northstar engine. At its best he has gotten 18 in town and almost 30 on the highway! I didn't believe him when he told me that, but we tested it and there was a time with pure highway driving that he got like 28 or 29.

It seems that from the 80's on, Cadillacs have averaged around 17/24. Unfortunately, if there is any stigma attached to a Cadillac, it is that it is a gas guzzling hog that will drain your wallet. I have gotten tons of complements on my cars over the years, but many of those people have also asked me about how I afford to drive the cars given the amount of gas they take. When I explain to most people the mileage they get and that they really aren't as hoggish as most people perceive them to be, these same people are shocked and almost don't believe me. So yes, the gas guzzler thing is a bit of a myth. Cadillacs are not great on gas, but for the weight, comfort, space, reliability, safety, and power, they are more than a bargain. For the 5 MPG I'm losing over the "average" car, I gain so very very much. The stigma may be good, though. If it weren't for this stigma, so many more people would probably drive them, and fewer would be around for we who love them so much.

deVille33
09-05-09, 11:35 AM
My brown '77 Coupe gets 15.5 MPG on highway. This is over a mountain ( hill to Western cultures ) with an increase of 1400 ft. at 70 mph. She needs some attention, as she idles too high and I know she must have some vaccuum leaks.
My blue '77 coupe gets 18 mpg. on a 150 round trip to Worchester. I've gone through this one, rerplacing cracked vacuum hoses and dashpots with cracked diaphrams and a timing check.:alchi:Do I consider this gas a guzzler qualification? Not when my Dodge pick-ups never got better than 12 mpg. My Pontiac Grand Am could get 18, but my right foot just couldn't stay off the quad. Although I never checked, I doubt my '76 Buick leSabre with the 455 ever got milage as good as that.

David5865
09-06-09, 08:49 PM
Okay, I just acquired my '73 Coupe DeVille a few weeks ago and look forward to my first road trip to check hwy mileage which I expect to be somewhere around 15 to 17 mpg. I had a '76 Fleetwood Broughm that reliably got 18 mpg on the highway with the 500cid, though few believe me, that's what it got. True hwy mpg is better than having any mixed in-town miles when checking your mpg. So, again, based upon that, I expect my '73 with a 472 and fewer emissions to do well.

Bro-Ham
09-06-09, 09:34 PM
18 mpg on a 76 Floatwood?! Were you driving 55 with a billboard in front of you blocking the wind?!? :) I had a 76 Fleetwood and it was a 12-14 mpg highway car at 70-75 mph. How are you testing your mileage?

David5865
09-06-09, 11:26 PM
I had my '76 'wood for about 5 years and it was a reliable 18 mpg, winter time, no a/c running, cruise control set at 70 mph. I would check this by filling up the tank, taking my highway trip and filling up at my destination before any city driving. Again, this is pure highway mpg, not a combined figure. I know that it sounds hard to believe, but it did get that every time. My father had a '75 'wood he bought new in '75 and states he got the same back then. And I got right at 16 mpg during hot weather with the a/c running. I had purchased it in '94 with 62K on it. It had been owned by the father-in-law of a member of "the Gaylord family". It had been meticulously maintained before I bought it and I did the same. Perhaps I also just had one of those rare vehicles that just got a touch better mpg than most - every car is different.

sven914
09-06-09, 11:35 PM
I had a 76 Fleetwood and it was a 12-14 mpg highway car at 70-75 mph. How are you testing your mileage?

Did you know that most cars are at their most efficient at 60mph? However in 1973 the national speed limit was reduced to 55mph, which remained in effect until 1987. So cars designed between '74 and '87 are intended to run at 55 and actually obtain optimal efficiency at 55mph.

Bro-Ham
09-07-09, 12:58 AM
My 79 Sedan deVille is one of those 55 mph cars Sven noted. I could probably get 20 mpg on my car if I drove at 55 with no AC. A month or so ago I drove to Naples, FL, about 120 miles south from here, two separate times in two days. It was 90+ degrees outside and I had the AC blasting. I was in a hurry the first trip down and rolled at 80 mph. As I recall my fuel economy was 12 mpg! Normal highway fuel economy on my car is 14 when driving at 70-75 mph with the AC on and everything normal. The car is perfectly tuned, rebuilt carb, etc., etc.

As for the 18 mpg claim on a 1976 Fleetwood, my head has stopped shaking as violently since the figure has now been revised to 16 mpg. The 18 mpg figure is so impressive I can't believe one would part with such an economical 5,300 pound car. I had no such luck with the 1976 Fleetwood Brougham I owned 7 years ago. Of course it may not have been broken in since it had only 9,700 mles when I acquired it. ;) I rolled it up to 12,000+ miles and took some summer trips and it was consistently +/- 13 mpg highway at 70-75 mph. 13 mpg wasn't a big deal back then when gas was cheap, and I sure enjoyed driving that car! :)

Cadillacboy
09-07-09, 11:34 AM
BTW, your '93-96 wheels look very decent on your ride as well ;)

Bro-Ham
09-07-09, 11:52 AM
Thanks Cadillacboy! I sure like having alloy wheels on my old Cads. :)

N0DIH
09-07-09, 02:24 PM
What I have found that modern cars can "adjust" to better than older, the carb'd non feedback cars don't have the ability to handle the air fuel change that the 10% ethanol fuel does. Cat Converters require a 14.7:1 AFR to work, over or below that, even a 1% they degrade and stop functioning very quickly. Stock our older cars are designed to work at 14.7 as best as they could back then. The idiot politicians have mandated by law that many states use 10% ethanol in the fuel (Amazing how many chemists and emissions engineers the politicians must be) and 10% ethanol actually has a stoichiometric AFR of 14.1. So now your car is trying to make fuel for 14.7, but is really now delivering fuel for around 15.5-15.6. Which now rendered the #1 emissions device useless. And 10% ethanol added slows the burn of the fuel, which which creates a poorer combustion event. The only real fix is to add compression, which the older 70's and 80's cars had very little of to make up for the losses.

So it is not surprising the older cars have a much harder time making good mpg, or at least what they used to have on the newer fuels.

Facts on 10% ethanol fuels:
1. The lower the compression, the more drastic effect on the loss of mpg. My 10:1 iron headed LT1 Fleetwood only lost around 0.15 mpg on long term statistical anaysis.
2. Burn rate is slower, I feel it needs around a half point more to bring the burn rate back to equiv of pure gas.
3. Hotter is better, having a higher temp thermostat (stock 195 is fine) helps improve the poorer vaporization of 10% ethanol fuels.
4. Hotter is better, having warmer intake air helps a good amount too. That old Thermac aircleaner REALLY has a big help on mpg. Keep it working properly! It maintains at around 100F - 110F intake air temps. It might hurt power, but it helps mpg.

Tips for better mpg:
1. See above
2. Run a bit harder air pressure in tires, less rolling resistance. Cadillacs often were intended for soft ride, so they compromised on ride vs mpg.
3. Run pure gas at every opportunity! Rare in big cities nowdays.
4. Tip top maint is key. Iridium plugs are best for long term ignitability. But you pay for it at the parts counter. Single Tipped Plats (or dual, $$ dictates) with a fine tip improve spark intensity.
5. Large air filters, many of the older Cadillacs have larger engine compartments, so a Olds Diesel 5.7L air cleaner and element (14 x 5!) should fit with not much work. Less air filter resistance. K&N Filters are ok, but do let me more dirt. Amsoil Ea filters outflow K&N and trap dirt very very well. All are reusable.
6. Factory set up timing on the older cars with less initial and small amount of mechanical advance and tons of vacuum advance. Remove advance can and look at numbers underneath a "25" stamped under vacuum adv can is 25 degrees vacuum adv. Installing lighter springs with the stock weights, usually 1 lightest and 1 second lightest spring from HEI Advance spring kit) will perk up mech adv RATE a lot. If you really want to get into it, grind out the slot to add 5-10 degrees MORE mech adv and replace the vacuum adv can to and adjustable one and limit the adv to the Initial+mech+vacuum of stock. This will help throttle repsonse and drivability while improving city mpg.
7. Keep that carb CLEAN!!!! Every 6 months get a can of Gumout and clean it up good. I avoid most other brands of carb cleaner, most are too harsh and damage the coloring of the carb making it silver.
8. When the Q-Jets get older the primary throttle shaft wears creating a vacuum leak (http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/index.html), which leans out the mixture at lower airflows (failing emissions, poor drivability, etc). The higher airlow makes less diff. Then it will idle leaner, and slower speed performance will be leaner, and coupled with 10% ethanol fuel, it is leaner yet. A competent carb shop can fix. It takes an hour or 2 to do it yourself. But you need an throttle bushing kit (http://www.tinindianperformance.com/Qjet%20carburetor%20replacement%20parts%20and%20se rvices.htm)
9. Cams wearing out with the low ZDDP oils nowdays. (http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm) If you have a distributor gear, you need to use an oil with high ZDDP, aka, Rotella T, Delo400, Delvac 1300, an break in additive oil GM EOS or one of the cam companies pour in liquids. The key is to get ZDDP to around 1200 ppm, not going crazy high. So how does this help mpg? Less cam wear will keep the cam from wearing out and becoming smaller and smaller. So you need to protect your cam and lifters. None of which is made like they used to.
10. Factory Rocker arms are usually of poor quality, aftermarket arms likely will perk up performance and mpg. Even stock replacement ones are likely better than 30 year old stockers.
11. Drive sane. I have been driving 68 mph in a 65 for a while, I can get 28-29 mpg out of my car, where when I drive 75, I would be in the 25-26 range. Making that 3 ton barge move from a stop light like a Z28 with a LS1 in it isn't going to help mpg, once the fuel is burned and out the tailpipe, you can't get it back. Accelerate gently, keeping the higher vacuum keeps the primary metering rods in the down position helping mpg. Often it isn't the speed that makes the big difference (ok, if you have aero like a brick it does....) it is the time accelerating to get there that burns the additional fuel. Use downhills to accelerate whenever possible. Let gravity pull that 2.5-3 ton car up to speed. Free and it helps significantly.
12. Carb mods if you want CAN be helpful for mpg, if you want to go there, that is another thread.
13. Coasting! If no one is around, coast. Keep thinking: if you have to use your brakes to stop, you were on the gas too long.
14. If you have a low octane engine, no amount of high octane gas will help you.
15. Front End Alignment: Shoot for ZERO toe, Zero Camber and as much positive caster as you can get. This is best for mpg. If the steering is pulling then your correctons are hurting mpg, as that means the car is not tracking staight.
16. Synthetics help. Rear axles with 75W90 synthetic (like Amsoil, which is usually cheaper than Mobil 1) improved my 80 Trans AM from 60 mph up, seemed faster, so that is less drag in the diff. Synthetic ATF can help, even fresh trans fluid helps, as the old stuff is not the same viscosity as fresh anymore, change around every 30K. The additives in the fluid do deplete (the friction modifiers) so you need to keep it fresh. I am running Dexron VI now, good price at Walmart for Walmart brand, it meets spec and it is a HUGE improvement over Dexron II/III/IIE. I have seen something on it, wow, BIG improvement. Engine oil, most high ZDDP synethics are marketed to diesels, 5W40, which is a great wieght for the older cars. Thinner oil when cold makes easy starting, 40 weight when warm for older tired engines. Yup, win win situation. I run it in my 2000 supercharged 3800 with zero mpg complaints. I won't run anything else now.
17. If you can warm the oil on cold days, that helps, it takes 10-15 min to get the oil up to 180+ F on a cold day, so by all means if you can park in warm garage or at least get a pan heater, and put on timer 1 hr before you plan on driving, it is a VERY good thing. Ask any drag racer how much oil temp variation affects them. Even trans temps benefit from being warmed.
18. Avoid starts from stops if possible, starts from full stops are worst to eat fuel, and in cold weather worst yet.
19. Shut engine off at stops, if you are stopping for over 45 secs, shut it off, it will save fuel. The start up fuel used is actually minimal compared to what you burn sitting going nowhere. But the expense is starter life. Which is more important is up to you.

Just ideas for you to feed on! How much you do it how extreme you want to go.... You won't be getting that 77 425 to get 30 mpg highway, but you will optimize what you have!

mjs182004
09-07-09, 04:51 PM
I just calculated mine and I get 15 MPG with mixed driving.

csbuckn
09-07-09, 08:38 PM
4. Tip top maint is key. Iridium plugs are best for long term ignitability. But you pay for it at the parts counter. Single Tipped Plats (or dual, $$ dictates) with a fine tip improve spark intensity.

I'm looking for some new plugs for the 5.7 and saw those Iridium ones. But I thought that the cheap AC Delco ones are the ones to use. I'm looking for best spark possible. Are these Iridium ones also good for us too.

N0DIH
09-07-09, 10:23 PM
High perf, say racing or blown (turbo/SC), I would NOT use Iridium or Plats, they run the tips very hot to keep them clean, but that can promote pinging. But on a NA engine, that isn't the real problem so I would use them. Personally I am a fan of std AC Delco plugs, NGK TR6's or TR5's (these are colder plugs) or Autolights, look at a 104. That is a cold plug. If you want Iridium, go for a 2005 Buick apps with the 3800. NGK Iridiums were OEM in the L67 Supercharged cars. I am pretty sure this is the same plug for small block chevy apps. ALWAYS carefully examine and make sure. Do NOT use the 3.1/3.4 apps, they are different.

That will be your best app for a sharp spark that will work well for mpg.

I'm looking for some new plugs for the 5.7 and saw those Iridium ones. But I thought that the cheap AC Delco ones are the ones to use. I'm looking for best spark possible. Are these Iridium ones also good for us too.

Bro-Ham
09-08-09, 10:47 AM
Thanks N0DIH! Great insight! Politicians are making our life expensive. Government mandated ethanol helps farmers with a handout but it is expensive for consumers and harms our cars. We need to drill for oil in our own country, or at least threaten to, to get the cost of oil down and make gasoline cheap which spurs our movement and economic growth. The current situation is unacceptable. :) Dave

My_favorite_Brougham
09-08-09, 06:26 PM
I can confirm that 18mpg claim on a 500. In my FWD '71 Eldorado I got 18mpg once, but only once. It was a cool Texas December day, and the windows were up, and the a/c off. All highway 65-70mph, no traffic. Was a 200mi. trip. Of course, I have to use 91 octane.

-Greg

Bro-Ham
09-08-09, 07:04 PM
Apparently I'm driving too fast to milk these kind of sensational fuel economy numbers from my biggie Cads. I can only imagine rolling down the interstate here in Florida at 65 mph when the limit is 70 and 90% of drivers are doing over 80. :)

sven914
09-08-09, 07:19 PM
Apparently I'm driving too fast to milk these kind of sensational fuel economy numbers from my biggie Cads. I can only imagine rolling down the interstate here in Florida at 65 mph when the limit is 70 and 90% of drivers are doing over 80. :)

You drive a Cadillac. It is you god given right to drive 5mph below the speed limit, in the fast lane with your turn signal on (flashing in the direction of oncoming traffic I might add).

Stingroo
09-08-09, 09:06 PM
lol Sven.

Bro-Ham, I happen to be one of those 80+ mph people in this state. lol

Bro-Ham
09-08-09, 11:06 PM
I think back to the days of the 55 mph national limit and everyone drove 70 and thought they were getting away with something. I have a 1979 Cadillac fuel economy guide which shows my 425 4bbl is rated at 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway! :)

Bro-Ham
09-08-09, 11:12 PM
Sven, That kind of Cadillac left lane scenario is prevalent about 100 miles south of here in Ft. Myers and Naples where ALL the old folks live. Where I live the oldsters either don't seem to drive or they are driving faster than me in a BMW 7-Series or S-Class.

N0DIH
09-08-09, 11:48 PM
Sounds about right, the 76 Olds 88 (350) rating was 13/17 and 76 Olds 88, 98 and Toro (455) were all rated 12/18. Yes, better with the 455 on the highway.... But I highly suspect the 350 was 2.73 gears and the 455's were 2.41's....

I think back to the days of the 55 mph national limit and everyone drove 70 and thought they were getting away with something. I have a 1979 Cadillac fuel economy guide which shows my 425 4bbl is rated at 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway! :)

JamesC
09-19-09, 08:58 PM
Eeep... does this sound right for a my 1987 Brougham? I figured for my in town, well it's more like 95% or so city (mostly pretty flat roads) and I didn't check it quite at empty, but... estimated about 11.7 mpg (no a/c running) and I baby the accelerator.

Then today I did an estimate gas mileage check; a trip I did today (about 104 miles put on the trip-gauge) and burned about a quarter of a tank from a full tank, so... I estimated about 18.6 mpg... that's purely highway driving at 60 - 65 mph and again no a/c running... oh and the car has about 143,XXX miles.

Again does all that sound right? Sounds low... but I might be just used to my 94 Lincoln T.C. *shrugs*

Bro-Ham
09-19-09, 10:05 PM
James, I have a 1986 Oldsmobile fuel economy sheet showing gas mileage on the '86 Custom Cruiser Wagon which, I believe, uses the same 5.0/307 V8 with 4-speed auto that your car uses and that car was rated at 16 city/24 highway. The factory fuel economy sheet on my 79 Cadillac shows the mileage on my 7.0/425 should be 14 city/20 highway - - I've always averaged 11 city and 14 highway. James, how are you measuring your gas mileage? Dave

JamesC
09-19-09, 10:14 PM
James, I have a 1986 Oldsmobile fuel economy sheet showing gas mileage on the '86 Custom Cruiser Wagon which, I believe, uses the same 5.0/307 V8 with 4-speed auto that your car uses and that car was rated at 16 city/24 highway. The factory fuel economy sheet on my 79 Cadillac shows the mileage on my 7.0/425 should be 14 city/20 highway - - I've always averaged 11 city and 14 highway. James, how are you measuring your gas mileage? Dave

Well the one in town I simply divided the miles I actually drove (shown on the trip gauge which I did reset) from the last time I filled up by the number of gallons (shown on the pump) I put in the car to fill it back up... that's how the car's manual says to figure the mpg.

As for the purely highway driving figure... that I merely estimated from a full tank of gas when I left and reset the trip gauge... then when I returned with 104 miles on the trip and just by looking at the fuel gauge I burned about a quarter of the tank, somewhat (full is 20.7 gallons) - this one not the most accurate, like I said I only estimated roughly.

Steeltag
09-19-09, 11:51 PM
169k miles, 305 in my '92 Brougham is down on mileage, high was 26mpg one time, 24-25 several times, now 23.5 ish is tops even though I have done a tune up ( except for rotor cap), check my tire pressure, etc. City mileage isn't good, 16mpg ish.

DadiCadi
12-15-09, 11:23 AM
I have a 2002 SLS, 4.6-liter V8 that produced 275HP, don't know the gear ratio... on several trips across state highways (65 speed limit) I have averaged 28.5 mpg. Around town 17 - 18 mpg and 24ish on the interstate at 70 mpg. :)

N0DIH
12-15-09, 11:33 AM
I went the last tank in my 3800 Supercharged in the city only, short trips, very cold, 0F and below, and AVERAGED 15.4 mpg..... With a 6 popper.....

My LT1 in the same type driving usually was in the 17's..... heavier car, bigger engine, etc.

Granted, I DO have PE mode (enrichment mode) coming in a bit early for some tuning reasons, and that will affect mpg, stock PE mode is limited to 45%, mine in the low 30's.

I have a 2002 SLS, 4.6-liter V8 that produced 275HP, don't know the gear ratio... on several trips across state highways (65 speed limit) I have averaged 28.5 mpg. Around town 17 - 18 mpg and 24ish on the interstate at 70 mpg. :)

kevinf
12-15-09, 11:37 AM
In summer I average high 19s, low 20s with my 96 FWB 167k. I usually grab about 20 gallons at 400 miles on the trip (3 "bars" of gas left).

Winter is definitely down, less driving (lesser highway) so I don't really measure.

N0DIH
12-15-09, 12:10 PM
Yeah, gonna think about a FW again, big car, love that, the weight is the only "issue", as I have got to really love the Buick's similar size brakes and lighter car, it stops great when you mash the stop pedal.

The problem I run into is the cars rust here, I drive around 40K miles a year here.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-15-09, 01:17 PM
The problem I run into is the cars rust here, I drive around 40K miles a year here.

Yeah they do. Its pretty bad when a 10 year old rust free car is not easy to find, let alone one that is 20 years old like both mine are.

HUF
12-15-09, 02:29 PM
I have been keeping gas station receipts from the day I bought this 95 FWB. So far the average fuel economy is 20.7 MPG with about 80% of interstate high-way driving. The data must be pretty accurate because the fuel used is close to 200 gal. It cannot be less accurate than +/-2 gal, so inaccuracy is close to +/- 1%, which is acceptable.

N0DIH
12-15-09, 05:45 PM
Nice.... I put 110K miles on my 94 Fleetwood in a tad over 3 years. Runs great still... I bought a 00 Park Ave Ultra with the supercharged 3800 to help on mpg, it does, but the FW is still a Cadillac and the Buick is still just a Buick... I wanted a 00-03 Deville, but $$$ If I was doing all over, I would have the Deville DTS in a heartbeat.... Still trying to figure that one out....

Bro-Ham
12-15-09, 05:58 PM
Hey, don't feel bad you guys, my 30 year old Cad, driven every day, mostly city miles with stop lights and max speed of 50, my fuel economy always averages 12. :) Keeping the economy going! :) :) :)

HUF
12-15-09, 06:14 PM
Hey, don't feel bad you guys, my 30 year old Cad, driven every day, mostly city miles with stop lights and max speed of 50, my fuel economy always averages 12. :) Keeping the economy going! :) :) :)

Bro-Ham,
If I read one of your posts and do not chuckle, I reread to make sure it was your post! :D

N0DIH
12-15-09, 08:44 PM
Sad my little roots powered V6 gets not much better with a 3800 lb car and modern EFI!

Bro-Ham
12-15-09, 09:45 PM
Bro-Ham,
If I read one of your posts and do not chuckle, I reread to make sure it was your post! :D

Huf, Life's too short not to have a ton of fun! :) Let the good times roll!

ShadowLvr400
12-19-09, 11:38 PM
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood. LT1, back to the 2.56 open diff. *grumble and cuss* 218/224 cam, Budget headers from Clear Image, RAISS cold-air intake. (Calculated 317 horsepower hitting the ground) 1/4 in 14.5. Current avg mpg, 19.5. Running premium here in FL. My drive is 1/2 highway (I cruise at 75) and 1/2 city, with a few long stop lights.

Oh yea, just hit 150,000 miles on the car.

HUF
12-20-09, 12:01 AM
How much gasoline does one bar of the fuel gauge of a 1993-1996 Fleetwood represent? I mean an accurate data not a speculation. Thanks!

N0DIH
12-20-09, 12:21 AM
It really isn't designed to be read that way best I can tell. Mine hasn't ever been accurate from the day I got it, I have run out on 4 bars and been fine on 2 but NEVER seen the low fuel light.....

Shadow, get that 3.42 back in there! With that cam, bet you get better mpg without using OD unless you are on the highway.

sven914
12-20-09, 01:31 AM
^That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask.

On the '80's RWD's, how much is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on? I know it fluctuates (badly), but I mean when it first comes on, while stopped on flat pavement, with the engine off.

I've driven around all day with it lit and the most fuel she's ever taken was 22.879 gallons. It's a 25 gallon tank, with 5% of that capacity for vapor expansion, so it can hold 23.75 gallons. So that left .871 gallons in the tank, which at 14 (estimated for traffic and "low-fuel" econamy) MPG, gave me about 12 miles left to drive with out going empty.

Lazarus_Rooney
12-20-09, 10:47 AM
How much gasoline does one bar of the fuel gauge of a 1993-1996 Fleetwood represent? I mean an accurate data not a speculation. Thanks!

is it a digital gauge? because my 1990 brougham has digital and i dont think its actually meant to show how much fuel is in the tank so much as its meant to be "range meter" i notice that when im driving in a way thats not burning a ton of gas, the fuel gauge increases a bit. :hmm: i might be comepletly wrong about it being a range meter, someone correct me if i am? i know the extremely downsized eldorado just tells you how many gallons you have left.....

HUF
12-20-09, 12:25 PM
is it a digital gauge? because my 1990 brougham has digital and i dont think its actually meant to show how much fuel is in the tank so much as its meant to be "range meter" i notice that when im driving in a way thats not burning a ton of gas, the fuel gauge increases a bit. :hmm: i might be comepletly wrong about it being a range meter, someone correct me if i am? i know the extremely downsized eldorado just tells you how many gallons you have left.....

Stop confusing us even further!! :D I do not believe there is any car with a range meter instead of fuel remaining meter. How in the world will one evaluate the range remaining by some stupid bars on the dash?!

Lazarus_Rooney
12-20-09, 10:31 PM
Stop confusing us even further!! :D I do not believe there is any car with a range meter instead of fuel remaining meter. How in the world will one evaluate the range remaining by some stupid bars on the dash?!

i dont know, how would my fuel gauge show more fuel after i havent driven for about a while?

teledan
12-21-09, 04:52 PM
Not sure, I didnt buy a caddy for the gas mileage, I have a TDI Jetta for that, 45mpg :)

jey
12-21-09, 11:10 PM

Mine is amazingly accurate. I fill up almost every time when I hit 2 bars left. It always takes 20 gallons. The couple of times I waited until 1 bar, the pump clicked off at over 21 gallons. When I first acquired the car the dealer and I let it run down to no bars left and I put 22.247 gallons in the tank. Never doing that again.

I noticed that sometimes I can drive almost 80 miles before it clicks down from the completely full (all 17 bars lit) to 16 bars, so when all bars are lit it's not entirely accurate, but once it starts going down from there it seems to be pretty good.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-21-09, 11:51 PM
^ Mine is the same way, fairly accurate once it starts getting a little empty. I usually let mine go until I have no bars left and the light starts flashing. After that I have about 2 gallons left.

kevinf
12-22-09, 11:20 AM
I've run out of gas with 2 bars before. I also drove about 3 city miles then jumped on the highway and went another 15 all on 1 bar to see what it could do. I definitely do not recommend doing this though.

Aron9000
12-23-09, 02:54 AM
^ Mine is the same way, fairly accurate once it starts getting a little empty. I usually let mine go until I have no bars left and the light starts flashing. After that I have about 2 gallons left.

I've run out of gas with 1 bar and no light showing. It was eerie, going up a hill it stalled and sputtered, going downhill it ran perfectly fine. Going up the exit ramp, it stalled and sputtered, then it wouldn't start parked uphill.

I've learned that 1/4 tank means empty, and just fill it up when it gets there.

jey
12-24-09, 02:31 PM
My 'low' light always comes on with the last bar - maybe the 93 is different from newer Fleetwoods due to the L05

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-24-09, 02:39 PM
My low light comes on with the last bar still lit. Once the last bar goes out it starts flashing. Once it starts flashing I have about 30 highway miles left. I run it almost empty between fillups.

Cadillacboy
12-24-09, 04:38 PM
Range meter is rather useless yet confusing too . Jaguar XJ40s between '86-89 came with those later they made the things right I mean RIGHT lol

95streamer
12-27-09, 06:26 PM
I usually fill up at a quarter tank.

A mechanic recently told me it is bad to drive GM cars near empty, it shortens the life on the fuel pump.
The fuel in the tank actually cools the fuel pump motor.
Of course he says that after the pump went out on my 03 Chevy Cavalier with 136k.

Bro-Ham
12-27-09, 07:25 PM
I can't remember if I've told this story or not, about 2 months ago I ran out of gas in my Cad. I had a very busy day and the fuel gauge was on E and on my way home I accepted an invitation for drinks and dinner, and, of course, I had to accept, and, in a hurry, I decided to fill up after dinner instead of before. My mistake! I had maybe 5 martinis and after dinner I was proceeding home and the car quit. Guage was on E-. Called AAA, gas was delivered, car was mobile again, filled up at the local Exxon, and off I went learning, hopefully, not to take my chances again in the low zone. Moral of the story, who cares how low you can go, fill up and be happy going about your business. :)

I'm intrigued with Bi's MTS #5 cam - I want a #3 cam in my car with TBI fuel injection! Heeeeeeeee Haaawwwwwww! :) :) :)

Neil Clarke
12-28-09, 02:00 AM
I just bought a 76 sedan deville (500)
Driving around Sacramento I averaged about 8 mpg
I just drove down to Ventura and filled before I left and half way down (210miles)
Used 17.5 gallons for that section so 12mpg for that part of the trip
Yet to do a topup now I've arrived
Did notice though that I forgot to put the gas cap back on when I filled
Lucky it was jammed under the license plate where I left it so its back where it belongs again

sven914
02-26-10, 06:31 PM
I don't know how, but I just looked at the pile of (5) gas recites in my console, and realized that since October, I've only gotten gas once each month. I drive everyday (5 days a week) and warm the engine up for a half hour each day (15 minutes at a time), and haven't got gas since February 2nd, and I still have a quarter tank.

I guess that flux capacitor is really paying off.

caddeville89
02-26-10, 10:07 PM
When my "Low" light flashes, I still have 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. Except for this one time where I had to huuug a tree..i mean one time where it flashed "low" then started sputtering. Luckily there was a station right there. Maybe there was alot of water or some sediment.

tbcaddy18
02-27-10, 02:33 AM
I don't know how, but I just looked at the pile of (5) gas recites in my console, and realized that since October, I've only gotten gas once each month. I drive everyday (5 days a week) and warm the engine up for a half hour each day (15 minutes at a time), and haven't got gas since February 2nd, and I still have a quarter tank.

I guess that flux capacitor is really paying off.

Hey Sven, do you have the 307 or the 350 in your Brghm? Have you calculated your average mpg?

Bro-Ham
02-27-10, 09:30 AM
Sven, WOW! Do you have a 1 mile round trip commute? :) You're a lucky guy if you're driving your luxomobile in style and getting decent fuel economy to boot! I fill up once per week, at least, and drive about 250-300 miles per week. My mpg, when I test it, is usually 11-13 with the 425. I mostly drive in town with speeds averaging 45-50 and once per week I have a 100+ mile round trip adventure up to my school for my lab work. I WISH I could get away with avoiding the gas stations for a whole month like you!!! Tell us the secret! :)

Stingroo
02-27-10, 09:51 AM
Dave, his secret is less cubic inches than the both of us. ;)

That's pretty sweet though, Sven. :D

ShadowLvr400
02-27-10, 10:18 AM
Update on mine, current avg mpg with my 96, 18.5-19.5... Car has a fair amount of performance work, but back to factory 2.56 rear end.

sven914
02-28-10, 12:50 AM
Sven, WOW! Do you have a 1 mile round trip commute? :) You're a lucky guy if you're driving your luxomobile in style and getting decent fuel economy to boot!

It's 12 mile's one way. I used to have to fill up every two weeks; don't know what happened (I'm starting to miss Abdul).

Hey Sven, do you have the 307 or the 350 in your Brghm? Have you calculated your average mpg?

Oldsmobile Rocket 307. I do my recites at every September and have gotten an annual economy of 16.

Bro-Ham
02-28-10, 02:11 PM
Sven, My fingers are doing some walking on the adding machine. I presume you drive your car 12 miles each way to work five days per week? From the 2nd to the 26th when you posted your observation, that would be 18 work days times 24 miles per day which equals 432 miles. If you have a 1/4 tank remaining let's assume you can go roughly another 100 miles. That's 532 miles on this tank of fuel. Divide that by 26 (?) gallon fuel tank = roughly 20mpg. That rocket 307 is doing good work for you!

I didn't realize this morning that I had forgotten to fuel up my car last night. This morning the fuel gauge was on dead E. Not a big deal for most cars but my car averages 12mpg and there are no gas stations on the island I live on so 5 mile trip across the keys to the mainland seemed like crossing the Sahara! I made it to the local Exxon but I had already pulled out my AAA card thinking I'd need them to bail me out with a fuel delivery... :) Some days I think I either need an extra gas tank in my car or a low fuel guage which 1979 models do not have. Anyway, made to get gas and that was a relief! WHEW!!! :) :)

ag42b
02-28-10, 07:37 PM
'87 Brougham, 307 V8, 20 mpg around town, best was 26 mpg on a 7 hour trip. 87,000 miles, synthetic oil, cruise not used. What else will take 4 real adults, all their luggage, and anything else safely and reliably on a trip.

The greenies look down their noses, so what. They are the folks who get all exercised when they cannot have complete social control over everything the rest of us do. Kids young and old want to ride in a "real" car, which stops when it is supposed to, and proudly made in the US.

I did consider buying a hybrid once, an old aero Insight to use as a demo derby car. Figured it might run a little longer once the competition got my radiator. You often see them on wrecker decks here during extremely cold weather. Once I told the yup owner its intended use, she wouldn't sell it to me. Imagine that!

I would gladly buy a "carbon offset" sticker for the Caddy's limited use, if the money actually went to its intended use. Maybe somewhere there's a genuine Native American nation who uses offset money to set up wind turbines, or something like that. Wish I could find one. On the other hand, they already tax me quite a bit for the carbon my cigarettes emit...

tbcaddy18
02-28-10, 10:55 PM
'87 Brougham, 307 V8, 20 mpg around town, best was 26 mpg on a 7 hour trip. 87,000 miles, synthetic oil, cruise not used. What else will take 4 real adults, all their luggage, and anything else safely and reliably on a trip.

The greenies look down their noses, so what. They are the folks who get all exercised when they cannot have complete social control over everything the rest of us do. Kids young and old want to ride in a "real" car, which stops when it is supposed to, and proudly made in the US.

I did consider buying a hybrid once, an old aero Insight to use as a demo derby car. Figured it might run a little longer once the competition got my radiator. You often see them on wrecker decks here during extremely cold weather. Once I told the yup owner its intended use, she wouldn't sell it to me. Imagine that!

I would gladly buy a "carbon offset" sticker for the Caddy's limited use, if the money actually went to its intended use. Maybe somewhere there's a genuine Native American nation who uses offset money to set up wind turbines, or something like that. Wish I could find one. On the other hand, they already tax me quite a bit for the carbon my cigarettes emit...

Hey ag, did you change any sensors or anything else?
I too have the 307, but the best I get on the freeway is 18.5 mpg..average is 14-15mpg...I too have full synthetic in mine for the past few years.

hearseman
03-03-10, 03:47 PM
My '96 hearse gets an average of 17 MPG. Not bad considering it weighs about 6000 lbs.

Stingroo
03-03-10, 04:48 PM
Really? How much weight is added to the car for the hearse conversion? I never really thought about that until now. A normal 94-96 is about 4500 pounds.

hearseman
03-03-10, 09:10 PM
About 1500 lbs. Lots of steel framework and a fiberglass shell plus, the longer commercial chassis, heavy duty front end and brakes, etc. Mine may actually weigh close to 6500 lbs. The roller table alone weights about 400 pounds.

sven914
03-03-10, 09:40 PM
Just got gas (for the first time since 2.10); 21.3 gallons for $27.31 and the clock just turned to 22,000 miles (since I bought the car).

sven914
03-30-10, 06:48 PM
So much for the streak...

My actual daily commute is 16.9 mile round trip, which is 84 miles per week. I got gas on the 26th; 21.25 gallons and I only drove 285 miles. That's only 13.4 miles to the gallon...

I reinstalled the cold air intake and a new knock solenoid this month, and this is the thanks I get.

Bro-Ham
03-30-10, 07:09 PM
Geez Sven, you're almost down into 425 territory with that mileage! :)

sven914
03-30-10, 07:21 PM
Yeah I know. It throws rich codes almost every morning, so I'm sure the carburettor is in need of a little TLC. If I had a dwell meter, I could figure out if it is the carburettor or the electronics that are eating my fuel.

When I graduate next year, I'm might pull the engine and rebuild it as a VIN 9. When I do, I'm going to make the car really stupid.

Ian6
03-30-10, 11:00 PM
Just got gas (for the first time since 2.10); 21.3 gallons for $27.31 and the clock just turned to 22,000 miles (since I bought the car).

DAMN 1.28$ a gallon!!! I just filled up today and 20.7 gallons cost me 56.42$!!!!
I got 17mpg out of the 20.7 gallons but I'd take 12 mpg any day if gas is only 1.28$ a gallon, and what do you mean my cold air intake? picture please

sven914
03-30-10, 11:36 PM
The cold air intake is the plastic thing with grooves in it. It connects air cleaner assembly to the front clip; backside of the grill.

It is intended to increase performance by allowing the engine to suck cold outside air. I remove mine for the winter to prevent carburettor icing and to help the engine warm up faster. I've noticed that the engine reaches operating temperature two to four minutes faster with it off. It's a marginal improvement, but every second counts when you have to let the engine warm up twice a day.

Ian6
03-31-10, 01:00 AM
The cold air intake is the plastic thing with grooves in it. It connects air cleaner assembly to the front clip; backside of the grill.

It is intended to increase performance by allowing the engine to suck cold outside air. I remove mine for the winter to prevent carburettor icing and to help the engine warm up faster. I've noticed that the engine reaches operating temperature two to four minutes faster with it off. It's a marginal improvement, but every second counts when you have to let the engine warm up twice a day.

Oh alright, I thought you were talking about some kind of after market intake.
Yeah I understand, you think I should take mine off next winter, its usually 30-40 degrees for about 2-2 1/2 months? or is that not cold enough to take it off?

Aron9000
03-31-10, 03:29 AM
Oh alright, I thought you were talking about some kind of after market intake.
Yeah I understand, you think I should take mine off next winter, its usually 30-40 degrees for about 2-2 1/2 months? or is that not cold enough to take it off?

You call that winter:rant2:

sven914
03-31-10, 03:14 PM
^It's amazing...

I reinstall the cold air intake at 30 degrees.

N0DIH
03-31-10, 04:16 PM
I always plugged the Thermac vacuum line when it got over 40F in the mornings.

I also had a custom (factory looking) dual snorkel air cleaner with dual thermac's and underbumper ram air. It was noticeable for a small power increase. :)

The heated intake air is good for the car to improve vaporization. The intake is a wet flow, and cools substantially when driving, but you can't tell once you stop and it warms up.

Ian6
03-31-10, 04:19 PM
KK, LOL sorry guys, it did snow here a little bit on christmas and one day in january we got about 6 inches [that closes schools for atleast a day here lol, snow only lasted about 2 days though. The summers here are blistering though, probably in May it'll start to hit 90 and during June and July the highs will be upper 90's low 100's it wont drop bellow 85 during the day for awhile. So hot that if your car is outside good luck grabbing that chrome door handle ha, gotta use your shirt.
SVEN- so gas is really 1.28 where you live?

sven914
03-31-10, 11:24 PM
No... That's what I paid... They wanted $2.68 per gallon... I thought it a little unreasonable.

I got my last tank for $1.43 a gallon (21 gallons for $30) :thumbsup:.

MudAnt
03-31-10, 11:57 PM
No... That's what I paid... They wanted $2.68 per gallon... I thought it a little unreasonable.

That's only $0.37/liter! I'm getting 13mpg as well, but I pay $0.90/liter! :rant2:

Hopefully I'll get 16mpg once I fix my carb or put in a rebuilt one.

Ian6
04-01-10, 12:08 AM

how the hell did you do that??!!

sven914
04-01-10, 12:16 AM
^Giant Eagle grocery stores offer fuel perks through GetGo gas stations (Ohio, Maryland, and West Virgina only).

You get $0.20 off per gallon with every $50 spent. I've filled the Cadillac for free and had a little left over to top off my Impala.

Ian6
04-01-10, 12:22 AM
^Giant Eagle grocery stores offer fuel perks through GetGo gas stations (Ohio, Maryland, and West Virgina only).

You get $0.20 off per gallon with every $50 spent. I've filled the Cadillac for free and had a little left over to top off my Impala.

damn thats nice man

Aron9000
04-01-10, 02:25 AM
I thought Kroger was pretty damn good, they give you $0.10 off every gallon if you buy $100 or more in groceries every month. You have to use your Kroger plus card(although you're a moron if you forget to scan that damn thing when you check out, my bill went from $90 to $79 when I scanned the discount card)

The-Dullahan
04-01-10, 03:32 AM
The grocery stores down here don't give discounts that I am aware of, which is dumb, because Publix Supermarkets OWN Pix Gas stations...

From what I am told, a typical Brougham, same year and engine as mine, gets around 18 mpg AVERAGE, but that would be more or less, depending on if you are cruising on the open highway or stuck in City traffic.

(I HATE cities...and doctors and lawyers and cops)

So, in theory, I am getting a bit LESS mileage, as my car is bigger, meaning more weight, plus the added weight of the rollcage...and caskets are pretty heavy too.

Had I the room to park more cars and the funding for the insurance (Hearse is $2000 yearly on Insurance) I would get a REGULAR Brougham (and still prefer the Hearse) and take my Brougham out with my 18-20 mpg and STILL be happier than Some-Dumb-F**k in a a Prius.

Aron9000
04-01-10, 05:33 AM
How in the heck is insurance $2000 on a 1987 hearse? Also, why did you put in a roll cage? Does the hearse have a supercharged BBC sticking out of the hood and run a 9 second et or something?

Hydro626
04-01-10, 02:54 PM
26 mpg on the highway out of my 89 brougham

Ian6
04-02-10, 03:04 AM

damn thats good, goin 60mph?

hearseman
04-02-10, 07:18 PM
I am going to update the mileage on my '96 FW hearse. It has been getting a hair over 20 MPG lately. The more I drive it, the better it gets. Probably something to do with the fact that it had not been driven for a couple of years. I had the injectors cleaned too. Anyway, I am thrilled with 20 MPG considering the weight of the car. The sad thing is that that is better than the 19 MPG that my 2009 Suburban gets : (

tbcaddy18
04-02-10, 07:56 PM

Damn 26! The best I ever got was 18.3 on a 75% highway 25% city trip :/ ..I usually get an average of 15mpg..sometimes 16mpg...and I baby the pedal too.

Do you have the 307 or the 350?

Aron9000
04-02-10, 09:28 PM
^ I could believe 26mpg if he was driving around 60mph. I've gotten 23.5mpg with just me on a couple of road trips, and that is with the cruise set on 83mph lol.

The-Dullahan
04-03-10, 03:52 AM
How in the heck is insurance $2000 on a 1987 hearse? Also, why did you put in a roll cage? Does the hearse have a supercharged BBC sticking out of the hood and run a 9 second et or something?

You just answered your own question. The Hearse is all liability. If I hit a schoolbus, my car and I will live, but the schoolkids will burn to death. The insurance is high because I am a young male driver with an indestructible old car in a state where most young males drive like ****ing maniacs!

As for putting a Rollcage in there...I didn't do it, Superior Coaches did it. Yes...hearses HAVE rollcages...to protect the dead people in the event of a crash...

The-Dullahan
04-03-10, 04:03 AM
See? Even the modern ones have them. An Eleventh Generation Brougham is indestructible already, but by making it bigger and adding a rollcage to make a Hearse they have already ensured that the vehicle will survive the Apocalypse...which is good, because when the Zombies come, only us Vintage American Luxury Sedan owners are going to survive.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/HearseSkeleton.jpg?t=1270278080

greencadillacmatt
04-03-10, 04:34 AM
...which is good, because when the Zombies come, only us Vintage American Luxury Sedan owners are going to survive.

:histeric: Post Of The Day! Awesome!

Aron9000
04-03-10, 04:55 AM
See? Even the modern ones have them. An Eleventh Generation Brougham is indestructible already, but by making it bigger and adding a rollcage to make a Hearse they have already ensured that the vehicle will survive the Apocalypse...which is good, because when the Zombies come, only us Vintage American Luxury Sedan owners are going to survive.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/HearseSkeleton.jpg?t=1270278080

That's not a roll cage, this right here is a roll cage . . . .

http://image.carcraft.com/f/10534679/ccrp_0703_13_z+nmca_racing_speed+roll_cage.jpg

Also, $2000 a year is taking it hard up the a**, even if you're only 16. Its $450 full coverage every six months for my 1998 Z28, and that thing has the highest insurance rates short of a Viper or Ferrari.

Just make sure you aren't carrying around an empty casket in a post apocolyptic zombie future either. You don't want to be tooling down the road and have a zombie pop out of the casket, trying to munch on your brains.

The-Dullahan
04-03-10, 04:12 PM
That's not a roll cage, this right here is a roll cage

That IS a rollcage, thank you. It is simply one designed to protect the rear of the vehicle, not the front. The 80's era ones were much beefier than the one in the photo I uploaded, as they were meant to support more weight and were made much larger. That is the reason why if you park my car next to a regular '87 Brougham with the windshield at even height, the roof of my car is still a full eight inches higher than the regular Brougham. It is very easy to see the detail of the cage at night when it cools down, as when moisture clings to the car, the roof develops a web pattern where the cage is, It is also easy to feel from the inside.

My car actually DOES have a zombie, in the rear passenger window.

The-Dullahan
04-03-10, 04:14 PM
Also, in a post-apocalyptic Zombie-infested future, I just need to cruise along at the same speed as the zombies run. The moaning of The Horde, plus the rumbling of the engine will draw them to follow the car and then I just need a few folks with rifles to sit in the back, completely sealed off, save for the rear door, which will be open, to pick off the undead one-by-one as they stumble across the country following me. So long as we don't have those weird video-game mutant zombies, this plan will work very well. Yes, I have PLANNED for this.

Bro-Ham
04-03-10, 07:06 PM
I didn't realize I had been drinking so many martinis this afternoon - - is this for real?! :)

The-Dullahan
04-04-10, 01:02 AM
I didn't realize I had been drinking so many martinis this afternoon - - is this for real?! :)

Way off topic, I know.

greencadillacmatt
04-04-10, 02:37 AM
You'll thank us when no one eats your brains, Bro-Ham. :)

JamesC
05-10-10, 10:49 PM
I have always been greatly curious on the fuel economy on 70 to mid 90's hearses. I know better not to expected the greatest, but curious nevertheless.

For those who may be part of this forum and have a hearse, what's your fuel economy?

There's a 1976 Cadillac Superior Hearse I found here for sale in my town asking $2,750 ORB, but the body appears to be straight with some issues and the interior looked rough (no clue if it runs), but I only quickly glanced at it (when at a thrift/pawn shop) with a friend and was not there to look at the hearse necessarily - just eyed it as I drove out in my Caddy, ha.

The-Dullahan
05-11-10, 12:30 AM
I have always been greatly curious on the fuel economy on 70 to mid 90's hearses. I know better not to expected the greatest, but curious nevertheless.

For those who may be part of this forum and have a hearse, what's your fuel economy?

There's a 1976 Cadillac Superior Hearse I found here for sale in my town asking $2,750 ORB, but the body appears to be straight with some issues and the interior looked rough (no clue if it runs), but I only quickly glanced at it (when at a thrift/pawn shop) with a friend and was not there to look at the hearse necessarily - just eyed it as I drove out in my Caddy, ha.

Well, if I am correct, the real problems with gas mileage in 70's Cadillacs started with the 74's (I may be WAAAAY Off...) but that's to be expected as that was America's "emissions control" age, where they started putting anti-pollution into everything on an extreme level.

Hearses from that era are known for getting 10'15 miles per gallon, but that can vary GREATLY based on just what you are driving.

If you are going to purchase a Hearse, do your RESEARCH.

Research EVERYTHING you can about the cars themselves (the Cadillacs) and about the particular Hearse. What's the make and model? Who was the coachbuilder? What engine does it have? Do you have access to cash/labor/parts when something eventually (inevitably) breaks on you? Do you have insurance that will cover you in the event that some moron climbs onto your car for a photo and accidentally breaks your windshield? how much IS your insurance? What about the soccermom who drives a minivan three sizes too big for her and accidentally backs into your fender (It's happened)?

Here is an article you may be interested in

http://www.hearseclub.com/resources/hearse_buying/buyingahearse.htm

Written by a man who owns a number of 70's Era Hearses and is considered by some to be The Man To Go To for this information. He actually has an account registered here and don't be surprised that if anybody on Myspace knows you have a Hearse if you suddenly get a friend request from Zachary Byron Helm. In all truth, he knows what he knows. He doesn't know EVERYTHING, nobody does, but he knows what he DOES know and like all of us, he has learned it through experience, which is the greatest teacher.

If you DO go and purchase a Hearse, keep us all posted. Somebody on this webpage certainly has the answer to whatever problems you will inevitably have with your car.

JamesC
05-11-10, 12:42 AM
Ah! You were the one I was thinking about asking stuff, ha - sorry to hear about your hearse though, idiots and what they did.

Anyway... it's amusing you linked me to that website, that's the exact website I found when I was doing research on hearses! Ha. That article was indeed an interesting read.

Sooo in doing more research too, I know for a fact I can't possibly afford a hearse at the moment. Maybe the car itself, but not the fixes for the time being. I know other coaches made from non-Cadillac chasis are more rare and valuable, but I think I still would prefer a Cadillac - I just like the looks better.

Though thanks for your input too!

Well, if I am correct, the real problems with gas mileage in 70's Cadillacs started with the 74's (I may be WAAAAY Off...) but that's to be expected as that was America's "emissions control" age, where they started putting anti-pollution into everything on an extreme level.

Hearses from that era are known for getting 10'15 miles per gallon, but that can vary GREATLY based on just what you are driving.

If you are going to purchase a Hearse, do your RESEARCH.

Research EVERYTHING you can about the cars themselves (the Cadillacs) and about the particular Hearse. What's the make and model? Who was the coachbuilder? What engine does it have? Do you have access to cash/labor/parts when something eventually (inevitably) breaks on you? Do you have insurance that will cover you in the event that some moron climbs onto your car for a photo and accidentally breaks your windshield? how much IS your insurance? What about the soccermom who drives a minivan three sizes too big for her and accidentally backs into your fender (It's happened)?

Here is an article you may be interested in

http://www.hearseclub.com/resources/hearse_buying/buyingahearse.htm

Written by a man who owns a number of 70's Era Hearses and is considered by some to be The Man To Go To for this information. He actually has an account registered here and don't be surprised that if anybody on Myspace knows you have a Hearse if you suddenly get a friend request from Zachary Byron Helm. In all truth, he knows what he knows. He doesn't know EVERYTHING, nobody does, but he knows what he DOES know and like all of us, he has learned it through experience, which is the greatest teacher.

If you DO go and purchase a Hearse, keep us all posted. Somebody on this webpage certainly has the answer to whatever problems you will inevitably have with your car.

The-Dullahan
05-11-10, 01:43 AM
Ah! You were the one I was thinking about asking stuff, ha - sorry to hear about your hearse though, idiots and what they did.

Anyway... it's amusing you linked me to that website, that's the exact website I found when I was doing research on hearses! Ha. That article was indeed an interesting read.

Sooo in doing more research too, I know for a fact I can't possibly afford a hearse at the moment. Maybe the car itself, but not the fixes for the time being. I know other coaches made from non-Cadillac chasis are more rare and valuable, but I think I still would prefer a Cadillac - I just like the looks better.

Though thanks for your input too!

I'm the same way. The reason I bought mine was it was a Brougham, not just a Hearse. If your insurance is as high as mine is, you may want to check with your provider first. Mine comes out to $950 twice a year, full coverage. My car is a rolling Liability Issue.

Yeah, if you search information on Hearses, you will inevitably find out about Hearseclub.com. Then, if any of those ribbonheads (used lovingly) get to know you, you will keep getting asked to come to Hearsecon.

Hearsecon in June?...No...

Sting's meeting in July? Hopefully.

"Normal" people stop and take photos of my car, but I can't help but stop and take photos of all the regular Broughams and Devilles.

God, I'm so AWESOME (Read as: Such a loser)

Fat Caddy
04-20-11, 02:32 AM
1988 Brougham with a 5.0 Best mileage on the highway 16 mpg. In town about 11mpg

Aron9000
04-20-11, 06:08 AM
Just filled up the company vehicle today, a 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid, 4wd. Stupid ass truck averaged 13mpg this fill up. Kind of funny how my shaped like a brick, stone age TBI 350 Brougham gets significantly better mileage(18mpg average) than that vehicle with all the "latest" technology.

I keep swearing up and down that a dedicated smaller diesel engine for that Yukon would net you 20mpg+ and more than enough power to pull anything you dare hook to a 1/2 chassis. Diesel engines are so refined now days that you can't tell a difference between them and a gas engine from inside or outside the vehicle.

N0DIH
04-23-11, 02:03 AM
Yeah, I agree, a smaller diesel and a generator and run it like a locomotive. Much more efficient.

Just filled up the company vehicle today, a 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid, 4wd. Stupid ass truck averaged 13mpg this fill up. Kind of funny how my shaped like a brick, stone age TBI 350 Brougham gets significantly better mileage(18mpg average) than that vehicle with all the "latest" technology.

I keep swearing up and down that a dedicated smaller diesel engine for that Yukon would net you 20mpg+ and more than enough power to pull anything you dare hook to a 1/2 chassis. Diesel engines are so refined now days that you can't tell a difference between them and a gas engine from inside or outside the vehicle.

Bro-Ham
04-23-11, 10:48 AM
drill here, drill now = 88 cent a gallon gasoline, as it should be. :)

sven914
04-23-11, 11:54 AM
^There's a surplus of oil; more oil than OPEC knows what to do with. Drilling here won't do anything because the price of gasoline is being (unnaturally) driven up by the wall-street economists who are predicting global disaster. They think the world's going to hell in a hand basket so they keep adding costs to every thing.

tqwrench
06-11-11, 11:56 PM
I get 26 MPG in an '84 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe with a 350 Diesel, doing 70 MPH, 200-4R, 0.67:1 Overdrive ratio, 2.93:1 axle ratio, P215/75R15 tires at 35 PSI. I have some more "tuning" to do and wouldn't be surprised if I was able to get 28 MPG or better soon...

In regards to the oil prices, it's supply and demand. Holding supply hostage drives prices up, encourages speculators to bet on the price going up in the future. If we increase our own supply the price will make a staggering drop since it's being manipulated on mulitple fronts. It will also thrash the speculators. Be careful, check your portfolios and make sure you're not into oil futures before you wish them ill...

YourMainParadox
06-14-11, 05:54 PM
1973 Hearse Checking in atm Best gas mpg ever was 10.9 MPG and that was 95% highway going 65MPH

It is currently on jackstands due to the same broken bolt issue but now it has been moved to a garage.

sven914
09-16-11, 08:02 PM
Just tallied up my yearly gas receipts...

Over the last year, I've driven 5050 miles and used 385 gallons of gas, at a total price of $930.52. So I only got 13mpg this year, which down form last years average of 15.5mpg. I bought Cadillac five years ago (September 10th), and so far have paid $4,652 for 2,131 gallons and my five year average economy is 14mpg.

CADforce69
09-16-11, 08:32 PM
11.57 MPG in my '69 SDV on highway at 65 mph average. This thread entices me to measure mileage under other circumstances. On city driving I think I´m not going to comply with this thread´s aim :lol: When arriving at a gas station the workers do the wave when they see my caddy :LOL:

Bro-Ham
09-17-11, 11:32 AM
I can't get my 79 Cad to do any better or worse than 14 to 15 mpg. I drive it about 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year and check the fuel economy nearly every fill up. :)

Mark 78 Coupe
09-17-11, 12:17 PM
My 93 Fleetwood is at my vacation home in Florida, so I don't drive it a whole lot. I have never measured the mileage, but I can guarantee it gets better mileage than my wife's 03 Mercury Mountaineer with 4 wheel drive. The truck gets 13 in town, almost 20 on the highway. When we are in Florida, we don't even drive her truck. Partly, of course, because the Fleetwood is about %1000 cooler, more fun, and more comfortable!!

Brougham1990
12-07-11, 12:33 AM
I just took at 2,000 mile drive in my 1991 Brougham 5.7. On pure interstate driving (averaging about 78mph) I got one tank of 24, another of 24.5 and another at 25.1. I was quite please with that kind of mileage on a 20-year old land yacht that was originally slapped with the Gas Guzzler tax.

Blackout
12-07-11, 03:13 PM
I mostly do around town driving and I usually fill up at a half tank since the gas sensors are notorious for being inaccurate. But on a half tank I'm getting 250-300 miles. So on the low side I'd be averaging 20 mpg while on the high side 24.

The-Dullahan
12-07-11, 04:33 PM
All I know is my father's Chevrolet gets a massive 2.8 MPG, which is good compared to my collection.

My Lincoln will always be my Economy car though, because it gets 10 MPG and I would appreciate never owning anything that does better than that.

grauhst
11-12-13, 10:18 AM
With my HT4100 I got an average mileage of 19.6
Best was 26.2 on the German Autobahn. I like the fuel economy of the HT but I would like to hear about your experience with this engine. My map sensor was broken and it ran a bit rich so I think it should be even better with a perfect running HT.

My 460 Lincoln's average 11.2 and best one on the Autobahn 15.7

Regards
Felix

j2rossit
11-12-13, 11:08 AM
No Autobahn here, But I can get 28 mpg in my 85 FWB on the highway.

grauhst
11-12-13, 12:34 PM
Wow that would be great. What was your speed?
I was driving ~60mph.

I will see how it will perform with a new set of sensors.

Felix

nebulosity
11-12-13, 12:36 PM
When I was driving the Caddy to school on the freeway everyday I was getting 18 mpg. Once I start driving my Caddy to work, I'll see what it's getting.

charley95
11-12-13, 01:02 PM
91 FWB 350 23.8 mpg

j2rossit
11-12-13, 01:06 PM
Yeah, this was around 60mph, maybe a little slower. I used to be able to get 28mpg up at 65 mph but then last fall I got new tires that were more of an SUV tire (the only ones I could get with a white wall) and they claimed I needed an alignment. I'm thinking of getting the alignment checked again since this spring it also started to pull ever so slightly off and on.
I've got a goodwrench replacement 4100 in my car but I don't know how many miles were on the car when it was put in (80k on the car now). The timing is advanced a couple degrees over the normal specs.

CaddyGas
11-12-13, 05:14 PM
I keep hearing about mpg what is it?, wait I don't care. Driving a car I like mpg means nothing. Gas price is more important, and that will never dictate what I drive.

j2rossit
11-12-13, 05:24 PM
For the most part I agree. But fuel prices here are just shy of $5 per US gallon.

When I'm looking at going to a nice lakeside car show and cruise that is 100 miles away. I can't help but consider the fact that a round trip in my 85 FWB is $36 while if I were to take my 68 Buick, I'd be shelling out $125 in gas. For that reason, my Caddy has had a far stronger presence in the semi-local car community.

grauhst
11-12-13, 05:33 PM
We have something about 8$/Gal so the mpg is an important part to know about a daily driver.
If I only take out my 460 Lincoln on sunday and go for a little drive it doesn't matter but some years ago I used it as my daily car to work. I almost spent more money on gas than I earned due to the hard work. That was a hard time but it was my only car. (and I really enjoyed it :D )
The HT needs half of the Lincoln. Ok still more than modern small cars but I dont' have to drive without my dream cars. That's great!

shrike77
11-13-13, 01:24 PM
1987 307 - 22 MPG on the highway going 62-65 MPH

----------

No Autobahn here, But I can get 28 mpg in my 85 FWB on the highway.

US Gallons or Canadian Gallons?

j2rossit
11-13-13, 01:33 PM
That would be the 3.8L US gallon.

shrike77
11-13-13, 01:53 PM
That would be the 3.8L US gallon.
I thought you were trying to cheat:)
I am impressed

j2rossit
11-13-13, 03:02 PM
LOL, I know a few people who use the imperial gallon to sound more impressive, but I'm originally from Illinois so the US gallon is the true gallon to me.
When it comes to this car, I've found that controlling the speed myself (ie: don't use cruise control) helps me squeak that extra bit of fuel efficiency. The all time best fuel efficiency I've ever gotten was 29.5 mpg when I was following my Mother in law who was doing ~50 mph on a vacation trip. Because she was too variable on her speeds, I couldn't use the cruise. But since I've only ever gotten that once, I don't really consider it a true representation of the car.
Another thing it has is all brand new ignition components, rotor, cap, coil, Accel performance wires (they were all I could get at the time), and bosch plugs (the kind with multiple cathodes). I find the bosch plugs give great performance, but terrible life span (I went through a set a year on an 80's Buick of mine). And I run ethanol free premium gas in it.
I don't know how much this all adds when considering fuel efficiency (if anything at all), but I know my buddy's 82 is getting pitiful mileage and performance in comparison to mine so we're going to see what we can do to wake it up a bit.

jamespowers
11-21-13, 01:52 AM
1987 307 - 22 MPG on the highway going 62-65 MPH

----------

US Gallons or Canadian Gallons?

22 mpg?! I'll never get that. I never drive that slow. :p

shrike77
11-21-13, 10:50 AM
22 mpg?! I'll never get that. I never drive that slow. :p

It was just to see what mileage I would get on the highway with 4 people in the car Not saying that I go super fast either