Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Amp issues?

862 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  still_walkin 
#1 ·
Background on my set up. I have an Alpine CDA 9857 HU with Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers. I have a Kappa Perfect subwoofer also powered by a Profile Baja amp. I also have the GMOS-06 interface. So I have an amped HU running through the stock amp and the subwoofer and amp work off the HU. I have had this set up for about 3 years now.

About a year ago I started having some pretty significant voltage drops (just momentary drops) that have been driving me crazy. I am wondering if this is coming from the Profile amp. I wired the amp from the battery with 4 gauge cable and that all looks good. It has a 60 amp fuse inline.

Could this amp be going dead on me? Causing momentary large draws of voltage? I do not play my music at high levels. Just loud enough to hear comfortably. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

#2 ·
After thinking about this, I think I need a capacitor. The Baja amp is a 200 watt amp that I probably never see 75 watts of it. Would running my set up at "normal" sound levels warrant a capacitor? I assume a 1/2 farad would be fine? Please help

Don

#3 ·
I would maybe check all your connections first off. Maybe one has gotten loose or is covered in crud over the years.

Also, many audio people aren't big fans of the capacitors. Normally from what I understand, the light dimming is caused by too thin of wiring somewhere. I'd wait and see what other people say, maybe somebody has had similar experiences. It's odd that it just started which leads me to think a cap won't help and its a connection.

#4 ·
You don't need a cap. A cap is designed to steal power from your battery so when your amp needs it. So your gonna have the same problem. Install a big 3 upgrade. Check your battery and alt connections to make sure they are clean and secure. As for wire size you could go bigger but for that one amp it would be just for looks. You coulda got away using aa 8 guage wire. Where is your amp grounded and how far is your inline fuse from you battery

#5 ·
I guess that I will go over all of my connections before proceeding. I did not tap into the battery for power, rather from the lug on the underseat fuse box, which is hooked directly to the battery. The fuse is less than a foot from the connection. I will remove the fuse and check the contacts there as I read that this may cause my issue also. Plus add a new fuse. I grounded the amp to the seat/trunk cross member. It was a nice solid connection when I made it. I will check it also.

Don

#6 ·
Sounds good from what your telling me never ground on the seat belt buckle my favorite place is the rear wheel inside the trunk and fuse should be within 18" or lower. Put a voltomter on it with the car on and vol on 0 record and turn it up to where you are having problems record. I think you porblem is when your power wire is . It should be wired to the battery to insure you get 12v. What's the fuse rating you have the amp wire wired to. As for the fuse if its not blown then it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.