: Overheating problem

fuduloff
07-06-09, 06:43 PM
I just bought a 02 Deville with a overheating problem. It has 66000 miles and been well maintained. Car overheats when driving over 60mph. Under 60 it does OK. Just replaced thermostat and radiator. Same problem. Did 2 die block tests and the die remained blue. No signs of leaks anywhere. Any sugestions? Thanks
Mike

Ranger
07-06-09, 10:17 PM
Check the purge line to be sure it is clear and flows coolant. Check the water pump belt tensioner.

fuduloff
07-14-09, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the information. I checked the belt and it seems to be running the water pump corectly. One thing that doesn't make sense is the fact the engine is running hot but the radiator feels cool when you touch it. Is this normal?
Mike

Submariner409
07-14-09, 10:36 AM
If the purge line flows a steady stream, the last piece of hardware to check is the water pump. There's a plate attached to the impeller blades which is supposed to prevent cavitation - they have been known to come off. Your gas tests were negative, so head gaskets are probably not the problem.

Lots of water pump capsule replacement info in here and up in Seville, Deville. Pictures and diagrams. Not a hard change, but takes special socket tool and an assistant. The pump capsule unlocks clockwise and locks CCW. Remember the tang orientation when you start. It will take a lot of force to unlock the pump capsule. Might as well replace the belt and tensioner, too.

Ranger
07-14-09, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the information. I checked the belt and it seems to be running the water pump corectly. One thing that doesn't make sense is the fact the engine is running hot but the radiator feels cool when you touch it. Is this normal?
Mike

No, that is not normal. Are you feeling the radiator or the A/C condenser?