: maybe you all know more

SAMSET
07-06-09, 03:41 PM
is it the head gasket? i don't know let me explain.
i bought this 97 deville couple months back. ran great for a while. then a couple weeks ago the lower radiator hose got a hole the size of a nickle in it. so i replaced that then about maybe week and a half 2 weeks goes by running just about 10 degrees hotter than it used to. then it overheated again. turns out this time is the water pump belt and tens. fixed than ran 10 degrees hotter than it used to and the 2 days later over heated again.the tech i got working on it say that the coolant is bubbling up and leaking out of the little hose by the rad. cap. didn't really know why. so for the last week and a half or so i have been putting water in it. i drive 35 mile e-way to work. it takes a half gallon of water before i leave for work and a half gallon 10 hours later on the way home.
it runs at about 196 most of the way to work but the last 10 mins of driving it gets crazy like going all the way to like 245 then dropping back down to 201.
whats the deal??:helpless:

Krashed989
07-06-09, 03:45 PM
Get an exhaust gas byproducts test done on the coolant. It will tell you if your headgasket is leaking. Sadly, It sounds like it could very well be the problem.

Ranger
07-06-09, 05:44 PM
:yeah:

STSS
07-06-09, 07:59 PM
Careful if you recently added coolant.

Also, I'm not sure if running 100% water throws the test off.

Ranger
07-06-09, 10:19 PM
I don't think 100% water would matter, but you do not want to check it right after adding anything. That can give you a false negative. Make sure that it has some time to circulate.

tateos
07-07-09, 06:10 PM
My vote goes to....drum rolll...... head gasket

SAMSET
07-08-09, 04:20 PM
yea so the tech looked at it again today and said the heads are warped or something like that:dammit:. so in other words shes a goner :sadeyes:i bought this car for 1400 bux 3 months ago:ripped: cant see myself throwing a couple thou at it for repairs.

STSS
07-08-09, 04:43 PM
i bought this car for 1400 bux 3 months ago:ripped:

You weren't ripped, you were had. If you had done some homework before buying the car, you could probably have figured out it had HG problems before you bought it.

There are alot of factors that go into the decision to keep or trash the car, but if you really want to fix the car, and you are willing to do the work yourself, Im pretty sure you can stud the block for under 1500 in parts. (I think this may be a little high too, I want to say you can do it for about a grand) It is alot of tedius work though, an easy 40+ hour project, especially for a first timer, but it can and has been done by a first timer who hadnt even changed his oil himself before.

Either send her to the boneyard or hit the books!:winrar:

Krashed989
07-08-09, 05:23 PM
The heads rarely ever warp on a northstar. Usually what happens is the head bolts pull the threads out of the block. I'm not saying it isn't possible for the heads to warp, just not likely.

Ranger
07-08-09, 05:37 PM
:yeah: