: Fastest Way to Launch an Auto

Gotham CTS-V
07-06-09, 10:17 AM
Hello,

I have a stock '09 V auto and have been playing with it on the streets. I get into weekly streetlight wars with some of the quickest cars in the area. Every .1 second helps, so I would like to know what the best way is to launch the automatic CTS-V.

With traction control on, the tires can still spin off the line. Should TC be on? Also, what RPM do you guys break-torque at?

Now, what about Manual mode vs leaving it in S auto? I notice with manual mode, on the 1-2 shift the tires will chirp, but it may not be as fast as just regular auto.

The track is different than the streets, so the launch technique will probably be a little different.

Thanks brothers.

brent eb02
07-06-09, 10:38 AM
best thing to do is get drag radials !! but on street tires i get the best results from squeezing into the gas in sport mode and letting the computer shift for you

jwa999
07-06-09, 12:20 PM
Turn of TC (one click). If the TC ever jumps in, you're screwed because it cuts of the power to the wheels.
You still have yaw control, in case you slide through a corner.
Put it in sport suspension and sport transmission.
I find revving to just 1000 rpm before releasing the brake already gives the auto a great start of the line. I don't go over that. The rest is up to you, finding the optional throttle without spinning. Get the w4m max perf tune if you can, it will give you more power at lower rpms and higher rpm shifts, exactly what you need.

Hans.

Gotham CTS-V
07-06-09, 12:45 PM
Ok, so TC off, launch at 1000rpm's, leave tranny in S mode.

Now about the suspension...I used to be pretty tight with the AMG crowd. The E55 AMG is very similiar to the caddy in that it's a big sedan with a supercharged V8. Plenty of torque. They would leave the suspension in comfort so that the weight is transferred better to the rear wheels for a better launch. Is that the same with these cars or should we just leave it all in sport? Thank you.

SRT8/BMW
07-06-09, 01:49 PM
Turn of TC (one click). If the TC ever jumps in, you're screwed because it cuts of the power to the wheels.
You still have yaw control, in case you slide through a corner.
Put it in sport suspension and sport transmission.
I find revving to just 1000 rpm before releasing the brake already gives the auto a great start of the line. I don't go over that. The rest is up to you, finding the optional throttle without spinning. Get the w4m max perf tune if you can, it will give you more power at lower rpms and higher rpm shifts, exactly what you need.

Hans.

Agree 100%. I have practiced this hundreds of times on the street and at the strip. I also measure the 0-60s with a G-Tech. My best (3.8-3.9 0-60!) are like stated above:
TC off ONE level, Tranny in sport mode, suspension in touring (NOT SPORT) mode. Brake torque around 800-1000, roll hard into the throttle--try to get peddle to the floor before leaving 1st gear.

By the way-thats usually easiier to do on the street than it is the track. I went saturday to track and launched this way--and the tires hooked (Once in three tries) and it resulted in a 1.81 60 ft. time!!!! (still only ran 12.3 though--was warm and humid)

Gotham CTS-V
07-06-09, 02:41 PM
Agree 100%. I have practiced this hundreds of times on the street and at the strip. I also measure the 0-60s with a G-Tech. My best (3.8-3.9 0-60!) are like stated above:
TC off ONE level, Tranny in sport mode, suspension in touring (NOT SPORT) mode. Brake torque around 800-1000, roll hard into the throttle--try to get peddle to the floor before leaving 1st gear.

By the way-thats usually easiier to do on the street than it is the track. I went saturday to track and launched this way--and the tires hooked (Once in three tries) and it resulted in a 1.81 60 ft. time!!!! (still only ran 12.3 though--was warm and humid)

Very nice! Thank you for the confirmation.

Vlakaz
07-06-09, 05:24 PM

3.8-3.9... stock? or with WFM Tune?

If stock, I wonder if Tune would actually improve that at all? Hmmm do you guys think 3.6-3.7 is possible on street rubber with the Auto and Tune only?

Alot of guys don't go to the track to run 1/4 mile, I would love to see some posts of 0-60 times guys are getting with a wide range of mods.

Gotham CTS-V
07-07-09, 11:16 AM
Gtech is pretty accurate but not 100%. It would be hard to measure 0-60's with a Gtech. The times also come down to your altitude, weather, and how good the pavement is.

I ran my car last night on the streets but it was a rolling race at about 15mph. Shifted into 1st, rolled onto the throttle and put a modded Stang & supposedly "fast" civic hatch to shame lol.

SRT8/BMW
07-07-09, 12:02 PM
3.8-3.9... stock? or with WFM Tune?

If stock, I wonder if Tune would actually improve that at all? Hmmm do you guys think 3.6-3.7 is possible on street rubber with the Auto and Tune only?

Alot of guys don't go to the track to run 1/4 mile, I would love to see some posts of 0-60 times guys are getting with a wide range of mods.

that is stock--no tune yet. I don't know what is possible--those with a tune might chime in. I know those are near perfect launches to get the 3.8-3.9, and my G-tech has proven to be extremely accurate for 1/4 mile times at the track. With Drag radials--you could certainly do 3.5 or better.

4gear70
07-07-09, 02:11 PM
Gtech is pretty accurate but not 100%. It would be hard to measure 0-60's with a Gtech. The times also come down to your altitude, weather, and how good the pavement is.

I ran my car last night on the streets but it was a rolling race at about 15mph. Shifted into 1st, rolled onto the throttle and put a modded Stang & supposedly "fast" civic hatch to shame lol.

The other big factor that affects all the magazine 0-60 times is the Roll Out which they never tell you. With the G-Tech you can change the roll out and see a difference in your 0-60 times. Higher roll out = lower 0-60 times. It's like getting a rolling start, even if it's just inches it will equate to noticable differences in 0-60 times and subsequently 1/4 ET's. At the track, it you want low ET and high MPH, you should shallow stage (but increases your Reaction Time).

Caddyscat
07-08-09, 08:20 PM
Uh, I see you say put the tranny in sport mode. That's not the same as moving the shifter to the right, right? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb ass question, just wanna make sure I know the full potential of mine as well.

SlvrBullIT
07-08-09, 09:10 PM
It is, tranny right is sport mode.