: Curious about sounds (normal)

carter's_sts
07-06-09, 12:49 AM
Just curious, does someone know what the sounds are coming from that I hear when I close all the doors and lock the STS? This is with the engine off. It also happens if the doors are closed, but the hood is up and then I close the hood.

I'm sure it's normal, I'm just wondering what the sounds are. They must be electrical. There is a pretty high pitch sort of wine and several clicks.

I'm sure someone on here knows this. Thanks in advance!

EChas3
07-06-09, 08:31 PM
I've reached the conclusion that most of the noises come grom the Nav as it prepares for use.

The high pitched whine seems louder from my wife's 2007 than my 2006. Security/Keyless Entry?

MacMuse
07-06-09, 09:48 PM
yep, it's the NAV DVD spinning up and loading 'points of interest' information about your current location. Eject the disc next time you get out, and when you return you won't here the same noises.

carter's_sts
07-07-09, 12:39 AM
No; I've heard that sound from inside the car and know what you're talking about. I'm talking about pretty loud sounds that are heard outside the car. They sound like they're coming from under the car or under the hood.

It will happen if I try to open a door without the FOB nearby or when I press the lock button on the FOB or, like I said, if I close the hood after the rest of the car is locked.

This is very noticeable, especially in a closed space, like a garage. I'm sure others must do it too.

It reminds me of the fuel pump running or I remember some Lincolns adjusting the air controlled suspension and sounding similar.

It's short; only a few seconds at most.

DBeaSST
07-07-09, 09:16 AM
Rear air suspension adjusting? My former Fleetwood used to do that periodically.

Dadollac1
07-07-09, 09:43 AM
bluetooth connecting or disconnecting?

b00001
07-07-09, 09:49 AM
Good question. I hear these noises as well. It is definitely from the engine bay. Fuel pressure for direct injection? There is lots going on in there it sounds like. You turn the car off, or if it has been sitting a while, just open the car door and you will hear things begin to whirl, click and buzz from engine bay. Like a living organism.

next2pool
07-07-09, 12:00 PM
I asked this same question last week in a different thread. I don't have nav, and it seems to come from the doors, trunk, underhood--it's as if something is arming either for the alarm system or keyless entry. I described it more as a "wooshing" but you know how that goes.

ewill3rd
07-17-09, 08:31 PM
It sounds like a fuel pump prime to me.
When the door control module gets woken up by the handle or latch it sends out a message and the ECM fires up the fuel pump to make sure the fuel system is ready.
It doesn't really know if you are getting in or out when you close the door.
STS has remote start also (usually) and the hood latch has a switch on it so it would register the same as closing a door.

carter's_sts
07-18-09, 05:33 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!!

turnerbend
07-18-09, 06:52 PM
Just the Security system going through a sequence check to be sure car is secure.