: Weird experience~

chopmeat
07-04-09, 07:31 PM
I went to the gas station...
After turning off the car, the display said something like
"Keyfob not detected restart allowed."
I thought it was weird got scared and restarted the V.
After seeing that it started I shut it off and pumped gas.
Then when I went back to the car the alarm went off and the horn went crazy.
After this the car went dead and was completely locked.
I had to open the door with the hidden key.
Nothing worked, it was DEAD.
I kept playing with the FOB until finally it came on many many minutes later.
I jumped in the seat and as I drove away it said...
"Theft Attempted".

Was this just the Theft system working correctly or will this happen again and does my FOB have problems????
:eek:

SlvrBullIT
07-04-09, 08:56 PM
Sounds like the main battery was toast, may need to load test it, my wife's lexus did something similiar. High heat does bad things to lead acid batteries.

SlvrBullIT
07-04-09, 08:57 PM
Matter of fact, the wife's previous prius did something like that too.....

chopmeat
07-04-09, 09:17 PM
I just put my battery tender on it.
I hooked it up to the front, was that correct you think??

tedcmiller
07-04-09, 11:01 PM
When my 2009 CTS-V was about three weeks old, it refused to start. I saw a message to the effect that the remote was not recognized. The remote was in my pocket where it had always been before. After putting the remote in the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries, it started and everything was OK after that.

Why did that happen? Well, all processor controlled devices can exhibit such strange behavior from time to time. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not. Both the remote and the remote receiver are run by microprocessors and their associated software. These electronic devices do strange things some times and after a reboot never fail again. The reboot sometimes requires removal of power, sometime not. If your car exhibits this strange behaviour again in a fairly short time (maybe serveral days), I would be concerned and have it checked out. If not, forget about it.

SlvrBullIT
07-04-09, 11:04 PM
Have you been listening to music or AV on in ACC mode without engine running for awhile? I still prefer load test, because it will discover buckled/compromised cells. If this is the case and still under warranty, you get a new battery. If while driving and V on the battery is +14V then the alternator is good. Use to be I'd see more dead alternators than batteries, now it's the other way around. Last three electrical issues where 1 dead alternator 2 buckled batteries. Loa test is easy and fast, just go to a place that sells batteries and ask for it, it only takes a few minutes.

RapidRob
07-04-09, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure if this is a factor, but .... I was also getting intermittent messages saying that my remote was not recognized, while it was, in fact, in my pocket. In the same pocket, I carry another remote for another vehicle because all my house keys, etc., are attached to it. After several occurrences of this, I started carrying the v2's remote in a separate pocket by itself. No more messages. Could be the two remotes were somehow interfering with each other. Just a thought ..

Rob

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 12:02 AM
RapidRob, that probably was the or at least a factor, as someone posted on this forum not too long ago that they were the same and / or similar problems, and were carrying their work access card in the same pocket. When they moved their work access card to another location, the problem went away.

chopmeat
07-05-09, 12:06 AM
Thing is I have a Lingenfelter tune, so I got really worried!
I'm going to the Vette Doctors on Monday.
Also...
If I put the remote in the console that will recharge the remote??

RapidRob
07-05-09, 12:17 AM
BINGO Gary! I vaguely remember that post ... could be something to it then. Thanks for chiming in .. :thumbsup:

Rob

wildman9
07-05-09, 01:11 AM
When my 2009 CTS-V was about three weeks old, it refused to start. I saw a message to the effect that the remote was not recognized. The remote was in my pocket where it had always been before. After putting the remote in the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries, it started and everything was OK after that.

Why did that happen? Well, all processor controlled devices can exhibit such strange behavior from time to time. Will it happen again? Maybe, maybe not. Both the remote and the remote receiver are run by microprocessors and their associated software. These electronic devices do strange things some times and after a reboot never fail again. The reboot sometimes requires removal of power, sometime not. If your car exhibits this strange behaviour again in a fairly short time (maybe serveral days), I would be concerned and have it checked out. If not, forget about it.

So What is the special position reserved for remotes with weak batteries

chopmeat
07-05-09, 01:12 AM
Ohhh....Gary Gary Gary...
I leave my house alarm remote in the center console.
Maybe that is what is interfering??
Where can i put it then?
AAAHHHhhh!!!:banghead:

mik2718
07-05-09, 07:57 AM
If I put the remote in the console that will recharge the remote??

I don't know about the STS-V, but on the 2009 CTS-V this action provides enough power to the key so it can be recognized while plugged in, but does not recharge the battery. The manual says:

If the transmitter battery is weak, the DIC may display
Electronic Key Not Detected when you try to start
the vehicle. To start the vehicle, place the transmitter in
the center console storage area transmitter pocket
with the buttons facing to the front of the vehicle. Then,
with the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the
brake pedal and the ignition control knob. See Starting
the Engine on page 2-34, for additional information
about the vehicle’s electronic keyless ignition with push
start. Replace the transmitter battery as soon as
possible.

JFJr
07-05-09, 08:21 AM
I had this happen once in an airport parking lot, probably due to interference from the the radar sites located at the airport. I suspect other electronic devices and security cards can cause the same symptoms under the right circumstances.

readyact
07-05-09, 08:51 AM
I got the "Key Not Detected" message a few time and I found out it only happens when I have my wireless phone in the same pocket as my key fob.

neuronbob
07-05-09, 09:29 AM
I got this yesterday, too. I couldn't get into my car for about 30 seconds, then was finally granted entry to the car. When I tried to start up, I got the "Key not detected" message as well. I took the keyfob out of my pocket and was immediately able to start the car.

I thought at first my battery had died--my little boy often reaches up from his car seat to play with the rear dome light, and has occasionally left them on.

This is not Cadi-specific. This happened occasionally on the Acura RL I owned prior to the V, which also has a keyless system. These glitches happen and I don't worry about them.

chopmeat
07-05-09, 11:14 AM
It seems like from what some of you guys are saying that my other remotes and cell phone can interfere?
I hope that's not the case!
Do I have to drive naked???
Lol.

Titaniumseeker
07-05-09, 11:22 AM
I've experienced the same problem. FOB would not work, door was locked and could not unlock. Luckily the driver's window was down and I reached into the vehicle and unlocked from the inside. Once that was done I was able to get in and start the car. Weird.... Just happened once.

tedcmiller
07-05-09, 11:39 AM
mik2718 is correct when he says that placing the remote in the special location described in the owner's manual for remotes with weak batteries will not recharge the battery in the remote. I have never had a remote for a Cadillac or any other brand of car that had a rechargeable battery in it. As far as I know, no such remote has ever existed and probably never will. His description of the "special location", extracted from the owner's manual is also correct.

Regarding cell phones, I carry my cell phone in the provided belt holder on the right side of my body. The remote is in my left pocket. Does this have anything to do with the failure that I experienced? I don't know.

As a matter of interest, with the remote in my left pocket, I can open the driver's door, but the passenger door will not open. If I walk around to the right side of the car with the remote still in my left pocket, the passenger door will open. Also, moving the remote from my left pocket to the center of the car allows the passenger door to open. The signal strength between the remote and the receiver(s) in the car is apparently very low. This might explain some of the peculiarities documented in this thread.

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 01:07 PM
Ohhh....Gary Gary Gary...
I leave my house alarm remote in the center console.
Maybe that is what is interfering??
Where can i put it then?
AAAHHHhhh!!!:banghead:
I don't know, Chopmeat, As I don't even have one of these magnificent whips yet, but I would guess yes, and as to where to put it, is there a special place in the visor for something like that, or maybe the glove box, or maybe in the driver side rear foot area where you can reach it but it is not in close proximity of the fob?
Might want to do some reading on corvetteforum.com as I believe that some of them have had the same and / or similar issues? Just a thought.

mik2718
07-05-09, 01:20 PM
As a matter of interest, with the remote in my left pocket, I can open the driver's door, but the passenger door will not open. If I walk around to the right side of the car with the remote still in my left pocket, the passenger door will open. Also, moving the remote from my left pocket to the center of the car allows the passenger door to open. The signal strength between the remote and the receiver(s) in the car is apparently very low. This might explain some of the peculiarities documented in this thread.

I've had similar experience. When I'm standing by the driver's door, with the fob in my pocket, the passenger door cannot be opened first.

Referring back to the manual again (I love electronic publications!):

The Keyless Access System lets you lock and unlock
the doors and access the trunk without removing the
remote transmitter from your pocket, purse, briefcase,
etc. The keyless access transmitter must be within
3 feet (1 m) of the door or trunk being opened.

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 01:21 PM
...............Regarding cell phones, I carry my cell phone in the provided belt holder on the right side of my body. The remote is in my left pocket. Does this have anything to do with the failure that I experienced? I don't know.

tedcmiller:
None of my business, but are you referring to your shirt pocket or your trouser pocket? In almost every case and / or scenario that you have described, could your physical body itself be putting up some type of barrier between your fob and the item that you are unlocking / using. Just a thought. The remote signal strength may not be strong enough to overcome the resistance your body might be establishing.

neuronbob
07-05-09, 01:37 PM
It happened twice today to me. Going back out again shortly (OMG I love driving this car, can't get enough!!!!!), so I'm going to experiment next with placing the keyfob where the instruction manual says to. If that isn't helpful, I'm next going to try changing the battery of the key fob to see whether that makes a difference. I have been presuming the key fob is only 3 1/2 months old, as is the car, so the battery can't have gone.....but I think that presumption may be incorrect--could it be a bad, or old, batch of keyfob batteries?

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 02:04 PM
How many key-fobs are you guys given with these cars?

chopmeat
07-05-09, 02:14 PM
They gave me two fobs.

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 02:23 PM
I am curious if the guys that have had this issue with the fob have tried their other fob if it is handy or happen at home where the other fob might be easily and quickly obtainable?

tedcmiller
07-05-09, 02:41 PM
Gary Wells, the pocket referred to is the left pants pocket. I never use the shirt pocket on any of the few shirts I have with a pocket for the purpose of carrying anything other than an occasional piece of paper. I don't consider any of this to be a significant problem, but some people who have had worse problems and multiple experiences might.

Gary Wells
07-05-09, 02:58 PM
Ted:
Although most owners probably consider this an insignificant issue, the more that is known about what causes this will or might someday lead to a fix. Even though I am not a current CTS-V owner, I am hoping to be in the very near future, and I will feel better knowing that it is only a temporary or an occasional random issue at worst case scenario. Things like this are generally frustrating even under rare occurrences.
TIA/R: Gary Wells

vperl
07-05-09, 05:14 PM
RFID can be confusing, do not leave the 2nd fob in car and try to lock. car will beep 3 times or what ever......
the interference is there with other RFID devices & electronics , not a serious problem...... not a biggie issue

Caroutisine
07-05-09, 07:39 PM
I quit carring both fobs together when I had similar problems with my STS and Corvette. Both cars had problems on occasion when I had both fobs in the car.

tbss08
07-05-09, 08:37 PM
I had a very similar problem with my 2008 Z06. I parked the car on the front lawn to wash it. Once I was done the car would not start and kept giving me the "FOB not detected" alarm. I placed the FOB in the glovebox holder and the car started. Once in the driveway I did not have any further problems. GM had a service bulletin for the Corvette to reprogram the sensing area of the FOB within the car. I thought this might have been the problem until I again experienced the situation and again it was on the front lawn.
After a little troubleshooting I found I was parking the car on top of the water meter, the meter has a remote read function and guess what, this is what was tripping up the FOB.
By mistake one time while getting gas I had the same thing happen, there was a sensor right under the car and I believe it was doing the same interference as the water meter transmitter. Not one bit of problem after that with the FOB on the Z.
It could be a very similar problem at the gas station with the FOB.

chopmeat
07-05-09, 09:27 PM
I think I finally understand what happened.
The CTS V book says
"The Vehicle is experiencing Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). Some locations including airports, toll booths, and some GAS STATIONS (where I was) have EMI fields which interfere with the keyless transmitter."

Also...
"The Vehicle may be near a strong radio antenna signal causing the keyless access system to be jammed."
I was right near the U.S. Open where Tiger Woods played...
Who knows, I think the car freaked out over these circumstances.

tedcmiller
07-05-09, 09:48 PM
I too, on occasion have experienced the "three beeps" that are normally attributed to leaving the remote in the car and trying to lock it. I have mine programmed to lock automatically when I leave the car, so it is not clear why I would get the three beeps immediately after turning the car off and before exiting. Another RF anomaly? None of these things has caused any lengthy delays, so I am not pursuing them.