: Navi ~ Window tinting ** NEW STS 08

D_Lac
07-04-09, 03:06 PM
I just bought this car and I'm still in the process of customizing it and the next step if window tinting, and I wanted mirror tint but the guy who is doing the tinting said it would screw up the Navi system on because it has metal in it. It doesn't sound too far fetched, but it got me thinking can I put tint on the car at all with out having a problem not mirror tint but just regular tint sense the mirror tint is out now.

turnerbend
07-04-09, 05:43 PM
Regular tint work just fine.

Force-1
07-04-09, 06:03 PM
I have 20% metallic tint all around my STS, and the nav works just fine.

EChas3
07-04-09, 06:52 PM
Nav should only be affected by tint applied to the windshield; not a good idea anyway. Reliable sources here have stated the GPS antenna is in the dash.:yup:

I would expect metallic tint to affect AM/FM/WX reception because they use antennas fused to the front and rear glass. XM uses the stubby roof antenna. I forget about Onstar but I think it's also using the stubby.:suspense:

trackbait
07-04-09, 07:47 PM
You are safe with NO Metallic. (to bad too as the heat reflection away from the inside was awesome) Had my 08 done with standard legal sides (driver/Passenger doors) and just short of limo tint on back doors and rear glass. NO problems with Nav or anything else.

The owners manual states NO tint of ANY kind - but what does the manual know?

The stubby antenna is the XM/Onstar

I had metallic on a C5 vette coupe. That was a mistake if you wanted to listen to the AM or FM. Rendered them just about worthless. One (forget if it was AM or FM) is in front windshield and the other embedded in rear glass with defroster wires I think. FM wasn't to bad but had loss of range in bringing in good stereo signals....about 1/2 what it was with standard tint.

EChas3
07-04-09, 08:17 PM
One (forget if it was AM or FM) is in front windshield and the other embedded in rear glass with defroster wires I think.

In the STS, AM/FM/WX all use a single antenna feed (as proven by the single angled connector going into the Nav/Radio Head Unit).:duck:

I've been considering tint because it would look awesome on my black 2006. Let us know if you encounter any issues.

Happy 4th!

Force-1
07-04-09, 08:40 PM
I have 20% metallic tint all around my STS, and the nav works just fine.

No issues with my AM/FM either.

D_Lac
07-06-09, 02:04 PM
OK, I got the tint in limo in the back and second grade in the front, everything seems to be working fine, don't have the disks for the Navi yet I'll let you guys know about that when I get them, and I'll post some pics soon as well.

trackbait
07-06-09, 05:19 PM
In the STS, AM/FM/WX all use a single antenna feed (as proven by the single angled connector going into the Nav/Radio Head Unit).

That doesn't prove anything. That's like saying your satellitte receiver at home must only use one antenna as there is only 1 wire to the receiver. In fact, some have as many as 4 "antenna's" - actually LNB's that get combined at a switch that controls the traffic - so to speak then feeds via a single line.

On the C5 coupe, there is an antenna combiner under the plastic trim of the "B" pillar or hoop where the AM (in the back window) and the FM (on the front glass "combine" and one coax feeds both signals to a single cable that connects on the rear of the receiver..

EChas3
07-06-09, 08:19 PM
On the C5 coupe, there is an antenna combiner under the plastic trim of the "B" pillar or hoop where the AM (in the back window) and the FM (on the front glass "combine" and one coax feeds both signals to a single cable that connects on the rear of the receiver..

I believe the STS is as I describe. I am willing to be found wrong but your description of the C5 fits my contention rather than disputes it. 'Combining' antenna's as you describe means that all such antennas so combined each contibute signal to all bands of the radio. To avoid that would require RF filters and a splitter/joiner that costs 3dB per source.

Digital communications like Satellite may not be the same but analog stuff is pretty simple.