: Naming a car

GenrlRodes
07-03-09, 12:18 AM
This may be completely dumb, but the other day I was out with my 1965 Fleetwood and a fellow saw the car and commented on how nice it was and look it over, asked what did I call her!

To much dismay, I had never given the car a name. In fact, I never have named any car I have owned. My dad had a name for one of his trucks, and others I know have offered up names bestowed upon their vehicles.

A very famous movie, titled after the name lead character, 'Christine', creates an interesting question... has anyone on here 'christened' their cars with names?

After that day, names and ideas have come and gone through my mind, but none really fit the bill for my 65.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-03-09, 01:10 AM
The car looks like a Fredrick to me. That or an Al.

Stingroo
07-03-09, 02:52 AM
Johnson.

Or if you're thinking female names, Mallorie sticks out to me.

cadillac_al
07-03-09, 07:50 AM
I used to call my 66 Olds Christine because I was tired of fixing it and wanted the car to fix itself lol. I have never named any other cars though.

bmwnick
07-03-09, 09:10 AM
This may be completely dumb, but the other day I was out with my 1965 Fleetwood and a fellow saw the car and commented on how nice it was and look it over, asked what did I call her!

To much dismay, I had never given the car a name. In fact, I never have named any car I have owned. My dad had a name for one of his trucks, and others I know have offered up names bestowed upon their vehicles.

A very famous movie, titled after the name lead character, 'Christine', creates an interesting question... has anyone on here 'christened' their cars with names?

After that day, names and ideas have come and gone through my mind, but none really fit the bill for my 65.

I think that naming your car has all to do with what the car means to you or what may have inspred you to own it. Then of course it needs to be appropriate for the kind of car that is.

For instance one of my all time favorite movies is the 80's movie Wise Guys with Capt Lou Albano as "Frankie the Fixer". He has a big white 59' with the license plate "FIXER". I'm ordering "FIXER 94" plates for my white 94 FWB and appropriately naming the car FIXER.

BTW....my 12 year old told me NOT to drive him to school with that car....ain't it fun to "embarrass" our kids???? lol

HAPPY 4th!!

Lazarus_Rooney
07-03-09, 11:50 AM
I already had Damballa's name picked out the day I went to pick her up.
Upon being asked by my friend why I named my car, I replied "I just thought the name fit the cars character" She asked me to name her 2005 Taurus, I came up with Lucy. hahahaa.
I agree with Stingroo, a male name would fit that car better I think.

This is just done with the stickers from auto zone but their holding up well:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/GEARHEAD426/Stuff/P4050670.jpg

robb257731
07-03-09, 12:09 PM
Hey, nothing dumb about naming a car.

My 1992 Brougham D'Elegance is slate gray...I always thought it was a classy, dignified looking car, and as such it needed a classy, dignified name, so I call him Edward. I definitely think these cars are 'male' rather than female, unless of course you're looking at a pale yellow car with the white soft top. lol.

Stingroo
07-03-09, 12:30 PM
lol Nick. Wait until he learns more. I remember when I was 12, my dad had a Cutlass that was nicknamed Gutlass because it sat in our yard for a year with a blown motor, but after we fixed it, the car looked terrible, but was fast as all get out. I loved riding in it. :)

Agreed with Robb. The cars look more masculine, but some guys just have a thing about naming all their vehicles female names anyway, so I figured I'd offer one, just in case. :)

Edit: And as far as female Cadillacs, you can't really name a Mary Kay pink special a male name either. lol

77CDV
07-03-09, 04:32 PM
Some cars inspire names, some don't. You really have to own the car to know its personality to decide if it deserves a name.

My '77 CDV is called Rebecca after the Daphne du Maurier character, because she's kind of a living tribute to my long-lost first car.

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/2008%20San%20Diego%20Meet/th_023.jpg

I bought my '69 FWB while visiting friends in Tucson. They're antique book dealers, and when they saw the size and color, the car was immediately christend Babe, after Paul Bunyan's blue ox (which was really more of a powder blue, but who's counting).

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/cmchally/1969%20Fleetwood/th_004.jpg

So, if you feel an attachment to your '65 and think it has a personality, name away!

Craig

Bro-Ham
07-04-09, 01:44 AM
Hi, Since cars are fun it is fun to name them! Why not?!?! My yellow 79 Sedan deVille d'Elegance is named "Kon-Tiki" after the Inca sun god and also the famous book about the south Pacific raft expedition by Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl. I also sometimes refer to it as "the Tiki Barge" and, when poking fun at pious Prius owners, it is known as "the best 11 MPG car I'm proud to drive every day."

Some cars I've previously owned that were named were my 75 Buick Electra 225 called "Thor" after the Norwegian thunder god. I figured Thor=thunder would go with Electra=lightning(!?). :-) Plus, I'm Norwegian and Thor is my last name. I had "THOR" personalized plates made for that Electra which later went on my gold 76 Fleetwood, so that car then became known as Thor, and then on my gray 90 Brougham d'Elegance, which became the next new Thor, and then the plates went on to my current 79 Sedan deVille for which the masculine name Thor didn't ever seem right since the car is yellow and more whimsical and tropical so I decided to go into deep thought mode (2 or 3 martinis) and the name Kon-Tiki came to mind and it fits just right and had a Thor tie-in.

Some other ones: I previously owned a Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit which was named "the Buick" after a very old man who stopped me a few years ago in a parking lot and asked what model Buick it was. Not missing a beat I replied it was a Park Avenue d'Elegance Limited Ultra Brougham Special Edition, or some such BS (I'm sure it was cocktails talking again) and the old guy said "nice car!" I just about peed my pants! It did look a little like an early 80's LeSabre. Another Rolls I owned, a Silver Shadow II, resembled a Checker Cab so "Checker Cab" was the name!

Have fun finding just the right name that suits you and the car.

Dave

MT-ED
07-04-09, 09:06 PM
I've named cars in the past. My Cadillac is kind of named by the plate.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/Martin_Thoene/BroShine_03_opt.jpg

People just LOVE the license plate. I get SO many comments on it.

Martin.

Cadillac Giovanni
07-05-09, 01:20 AM
I never named my car. I don't think it's weird, but I just can't commit to a single name. Sometimes when it frustrates me, I refer to it derisively as "car". e.i., "Don't give me any of this crap, car!". Since I'm the only one of my friends who drives a Cadillac, most automatically refer to my car as "the caddy" while other people's cars just get called "cars". The name Cadillac already sort of asserts itself as part of it's identity. People aren't likely to say "oh, let's go for a ride in the Hyundai"

On an interesting note, i recall on mythbusters they had a big, black 1969 Cadillac sedan that they dubbed "Earl". It really fits that car well.

Hooligan63
07-05-09, 08:18 PM
I call mine Hooligan,because the car has been a trouble maker since day one.

I'd call yours Slate,because of the color

brougham_geezer
07-05-09, 11:48 PM
I like the idea of naming a car, and some of the cars that passed through our household get some sort of nick name, while some just go by the make/model.

My girlfriend and I named my white/red '80 CDV "Sally Ann." The car has a plaque on the dash declaring it was "Especially Built for Sally H. Nixon," so I wanted to pay tribute to her, and my girlfriend and her family are all heavily involved with the Salvation Army (an organization also known by some as "The Sally Ann.") so the name just worked out. I love the way it sounds.

My grandmother's 1985 Pontiac Parisienne was dubbed "The Baby" by our mechanic.

I had a 1988 Caprice hearse that I bought from a funeral home/cremation place that was called "Serenity Cremations" so I called the thing "Serenity." Likewise, our blue and white 1980 Cadillac hearse is called "Tranquility" to follow the same theme as the Caprice, although it has nothing to do with a previous owner.

My brother has inherited my grandfather's 1981 GMC Sierra 1500, which has always been called "Old Red" by all the members of the family.

A shortened list is as follows... make of it what you will:

"The Fifty" - 1950 Cadillac hearse
"Old Blue" - 1989 Corsica (Sold)
"Old Red" - 1981 GMC Sierra 1500
"Sally Ann" - 1980 CDV
"Tranquility" - 1980 Cadillac hearse
"Serenity" - 1988 Caprice Hearse (Sold)
"The Green One" - 1976 Fleetwood Brougham
"The Baby" - 1985 Pontiac Parisienne
"Old Greg" - '85 GMC (parts truck)
"The Swag" - 2001 Saturn Station Wagon
"The Turkell," "Turd" and "The Turdcel" - 1995 Toyota Tercel (daily)
"Percy Statesmobile" - 1985 Parisienne (parts car, crushed)
"The Mumfire" - 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, 4-door
"Charlie Ross" - 1979 SDV

robb257731
07-06-09, 08:57 AM
Brougham Geezer, I love 'The Green One'...that made me laugh. I've got 'Edward' (which looks like Thor), and he'll be going up for sale soon as I bought 'The One That Doesn't Need Paint and Bodywork.'

Aron9000
07-06-09, 02:33 PM
I've never named my car, although I did have a fake New York vanity plate on the front of it that read "BARZINI" Its a Godfather reference in case you didn't get it.

sven914
07-06-09, 08:52 PM
I named mine Barbara Ann, after the Beach Boys song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rGMpSc0j4&feature=related I don't know why, but whenever I heard the song (when they still played it on classic rock stations) it made me think of the fifties, and the huge fifties cars. Driving a Cadillac (Fleetwood) Brougham, being America's largest regular production vehicle, the name kinda fits.

I also occasionally refer to her (Cadillac) as "The American Luxury Sedan," in passing conversations.

GenrlRodes
07-08-09, 12:21 AM
WOW.............thanks for all the posts. It is greatly appreciated showing the positive replies about naming a car. There are many unique names to each of your 'babies' and I agree that it is all personal preference when it comes down the the wire. I definately really want to give my car a name as time goes, and want it to be a name that fits the car.

Great point about the male vs. female. I have always thought that a car always seem to be female, and never really thought much about a male name, but since mentioning it, a male name for my 65 Fleetwood might be more appropriate. Obviously being a Fleetwood make the car prestigious, not to mention it behemoth size. I am going to give some more thought to a male name. My mind keeps pondering unusual names like Rutherford, Windfield, Van Buren or Quincy.

Maverick87
09-27-09, 04:58 PM
I firmly believe that because cars are so finicky and seem to have minds of their own, I always give them women's names. I've named all of my cars before. Usually I denote a dark colored car with an Italianate name and lighter colored cars with Gaelic or Nordic names.

I'm thinking of a name for my 1975 Coupe, I'll be painting her triple black enamel with triple clear enamel gloss as a top coat, all work done by myself. I'm not sure what name I'll give her as she's not very tempermental and cooperates with my efforts, but of course, perhaps something Italianate (i.e. Sylvia, Fiona, Galina, etc.).

I imagine yours as being more Nordic (Scandinavian) rather than Gaelic (Irish), so I'm thinking maybe Svetlana, Tatyana, or maybe Eleonora. It all has to do in my opinion with the color of a woman's eyes.

greencadillacmatt
09-27-09, 05:23 PM
I've named (or tried to name) all of the cars that I have owned. My current line-up is:

1997 Cavalier - The Leer (like the jets, plus, it's white)

1984 Coupe DeVille - Frank (like Frankenstien, because of the mix of Cadillac and Olds parts)

1990 Brougham d'Elegance - Mary (like the bloody-mary drinks, because the car is a dark red)

Good luck naming yours, GenrlRodes!

Angry Matt
09-27-09, 06:09 PM
My cars names are "the gray car", "the blue car", and "the other gray car".

csbuckn
09-27-09, 10:08 PM
My cars names are "the gray car", "the blue car", and "the other gray car".

Thats funny Matt, I have "the white caddy" and "the brown caddy". Maybe there related

outsider
09-28-09, 08:09 AM
I named my 86' crown vic "Ol' Bessie" because when it would have a hard time starting, my friend would say "Come on, Ol' Bessie!" and it would start right up.

Have yet to name either of my caddy's though. Was thinking of naming my 87 brougham Johnny Cash. :worship:

flux1414
09-28-09, 09:29 AM
My first Caddy and my college ride, a '81 base DeVille (man I miss that 864), was named "The Spermcicle". It was white (mostly...) and it lived in the northwestern part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The roads up there were paved in a few inches of hard packed snow 8 months out of the year which meant that most of the time the thing was fishtailing all over the place. So imagine this big white boat swaggerin' all over the place with a 20 foot trail of snow blowing off the roof and the result was "The Spermcicle", a rather inglorious name :).

I'm still mad at myself for junking that car without saving the valve train, I would kill for a set of those solenoids to use in my '80 D'Elegance.

I have yet to name my '80. The exhaust manifolds leak like nobody's business so I think "The Gas Chamber" would be a fitting name but I just can't decide.

csbuckn
09-28-09, 06:27 PM
"The Gas Chamber"

I can dig it

pyroman
09-28-09, 06:45 PM
The most obvious one is Cruella which was what my 69 was called. Now i have a 65 Sedan Deville i will have to think of a new name.

Aron9000
09-28-09, 08:01 PM
The most obvious one is Cruella which was what my 69 was called. Now i have a 65 Sedan Deville i will have to think of a new name.

More pics of that 1969:drool:

She's a real looker, that yellow is such a cool period color that you don't see today. A lot of people paint over those cool browns, yellows, and greens when they restore their 1960's/70's cars, they switch it to bright red or black:thepan:

Stingroo
09-28-09, 10:14 PM
I love brown/gold cars really. I don't know why. They're so unique. That's why I like my gold FWB. It's not quite brown, but it's far away enough from the "normal" white and black that it'll stand out in the parking lot.

JamesC
09-28-09, 11:11 PM
I love brown/gold cars really. I don't know why. They're so unique. That's why I like my gold FWB. It's not quite brown, but it's far away enough from the "normal" white and black that it'll stand out in the parking lot.

Hey then you may like mine! Heh and it definitely stands out in a parking lot... might I add, sticks out too - longer than the other cars, haha. (although all my cars I had did)

Though I've yet to name it - it's been only about, oh, 2 months now since I bought it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=978&pictureid=5020

Stingroo
09-28-09, 11:46 PM
I actually really do like that car. lol Don't like that style grille, but otherwise I think that's a great car. :)

Maybe someday I can own one of those Broughams too. (After college methinks). It's funny, I'm pretty much brainwashing my poor girlfriend into being a Cadillac person. LOL

GenrlRodes
09-29-09, 12:43 AM
It is good to brainwash them early. My girlfriend does not like cars at all....and we tend to get into headed discusions over it at times. She thinks I am stupid to want a car for winter...let a long a collection of Cadillacs. oh well, no one is going to change me.

GenrlRodes
09-29-09, 12:45 AM
Hey then you may like mine! Heh and it definitely stands out in a parking lot... might I add, sticks out too - longer than the other cars, haha. (although all my cars I had did)

Though I've yet to name it - it's been only about, oh, 2 months now since I bought it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=978&pictureid=5020

I like your car as well.... Nice color. My first Caddy was a Champagne Fleewtood Brougham D'Elegance. Had a dark brown top and just looked rich....

Stingroo
09-29-09, 07:25 AM
It is good to brainwash them early. My girlfriend does not like cars at all....and we tend to get into headed discusions over it at times. She thinks I am stupid to want a car for winter...let a long a collection of Cadillacs. oh well, no one is going to change me.

Oh, yep. Been working on this for 2 years. I had a plan from the get-go. She doesn't even drive. I have lots of work to do. lol

The-Dullahan
01-25-10, 12:45 AM
My car is named Branwen, due partly to my Irish heritage and to the fact that it is a feminine name referencing a Raven, which in my culture is a stoic symbol of mischief, wisdom and death. My car, being a Hearse seemed a good candidate for such a name.

Ironic Story Time...My car has gotten to park next to Christine, the same '58 Plymouth Fury that you mentioned, once for three straight days when Spooky Empire ran their Ultimate Horror Weekend here in FL and wanted me to attend.

sven914
01-25-10, 11:28 AM
^One of the actual movie cars or just a clone of it.

HAZZARDJOHN
01-25-10, 11:40 AM
When I got my Car I was going through a country Music phase, and I named my Car after an old George strait song, "Adalida", I have since grown up a lot and find it silly. I had it on the license plate for 8 years, and when I had my car put on a wood burning, it says Adalida on it.

~HJ

x69x442x
01-28-10, 11:09 PM
Johnson.

Or if you're thinking female names, Mallorie sticks out to me.

I thought all cars were girls!? The trouble that they give me it seems about right.

x69x442x
01-28-10, 11:12 PM
Oops just realized that was from page one but this thread is on page 3 already...sorry guys

Stingroo
01-28-10, 11:33 PM
Bah, no worries. Pages are for quitters. :)

Warren_R
01-30-10, 04:33 AM
This is my '89 -- for some reason, thought a nice name for her would be Faustina. Given the regal appearance of RWD Fleetwoods, their reputation for refinement & connotation of distinguished elegance, & etc, the wife of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius offers a good namesake.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1239&pictureid=6132

hearseman
01-30-10, 12:17 PM
I have always named my cars. My 2009 Black Suburban is Elvira and my '96 FW hearse is Bertha .

thefleetwoodguy
01-30-10, 01:01 PM
I thought all cars were girls!? The trouble that they give me it seems about right.

they are girls!!
ever notice neither wants to turn over on a cold morning !!:D

Stingroo
01-30-10, 01:18 PM
Hahahahaha that is legit.

hearseman
01-30-10, 02:41 PM
Good one FWG !!!!!

sven914
01-30-10, 10:13 PM
I've already thought of the names for my inevitable Cadillac fleet (inevitable after it starts raining dimes that is) and I'm going to include "Ann" in everyone of them.

I know for sure that if I get a series Seventy-five, I'm going to call it Anna Maria; named for the Greek Ocean-liner Queen Anna Maria (formerly the RMS Empress of Britain).

If I get an S and S Victoria or a Miller Meteor, I'm going to call it Julie Anna; named for a character in a story I wrote.

D Yaros
01-31-10, 01:11 PM
I have 3 old rides, and they all have names. Why, I do not know, except that it makes them easier to refer to, and recognizes the personal attachment.

They are:
1955 Coupe de Ville = The Gray Lady (as she is 2-tone gray)
1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Conv = Saved 62 (kind of obvious)
1882 Cadillac Allante = Auntie Pearl (Auntie rhymes with Allante, and she is Pearl White)

Benzilla
02-01-10, 05:05 PM
My red & white '79 Coupe DeVille is the only car I've ever owned with a real name. You all know Denice.

My Phaeton is simply known as 'The Phaeton' I like to think of it as a title, like The Godfather, haha.

The '72 Eldorado (poor thing) got named for me.. Everybody just calls it the Eldo. Now what I had in mind, but I guess when I see it more than once a month, I can name it.

My '90 Brougham is just called... well... The '90. When you own more that one of the same model car, years come into play.

Ben

Benzilla
02-01-10, 05:05 PM
Oops... double post.