: 5 speed auto vs 6 speed auto 2006, 2007

Er71GT
07-03-09, 12:58 AM
Hi all-I need some advise.. I am looking to pick up a certifited used STS v8 and I am confused about which one to look at the 2006 or the 2007. I see the only real difference between the two is the transmission. Was there something not good about the 5 speed and thats why it was only in the 05 & 06 models? Does anyone have an opinon on the transmisson? thanks

DTS_BOI
07-03-09, 05:13 AM
Great question... Bump.

EChas3
07-03-09, 02:20 PM
The 6-speed is better but the difference is less than you may imagine. IMHO, the trim level and options are much more important. I would urge you to buy the 2006 of your choice over any 2007 unless the 2007 is also your choice of trim level and options.

For example, I'd recommend a 2006 with Magnaride over a 2007 without it, if you want the best handling. (Reverse this example if you prefer a softer ride.) Make sure to get exactly the options you want.

I just got back from a driving vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota using my wife's 2007. Keep an eye out for a thread on it for more information!

dkozloski
07-03-09, 02:44 PM
The five-speed is mandatory in a V8 '06 AWD STS.

hazcaddy
07-03-09, 03:27 PM
It's the model, not the year, that dictates the transmission: V6 = 5-speed, V8 and STS-V = 6-speed.

I have an 'o7 V6 AWD and that means it came with a 5-speed.

dkozloski
07-04-09, 01:23 AM
It's the model, not the year, that dictates the transmission: V6 = 5-speed, V8 and STS-V = 6-speed.

I have an 'o7 V6 AWD and that means it came with a 5-speed.
My '06 AWD V8 STS has a five speed.

R1chard
07-04-09, 01:36 AM
My '06 AWD V8 STS has a five speed.

x2 here!

hazcaddy
07-04-09, 10:13 AM
They must have changed that for 2007 then, because I got the info out of the "Specs" section of the glossy sales brochure for the 2007 STS.

mapmaker
07-04-09, 10:49 AM
There is nothing "wrong" with the five speed. In theory, the more speeds you have in the transmission the better your fuel economy and performance. The ultimate of this is the infinitely variable transmission that you find on some of the hybrid cars. A twelve or fifteen speed transmission would be almost as good but they would not be practical, even in a luxury sedan. By 2006, several luxury brands, Lincoln among them, already had six speeds, so Cadillac followed suit just to keep up. The fancy Toyota with the "L" badge (I'm not going to say their name in this post) already has an eight speed in some of their cars, so Cadillac is behind once again. In the day to day living with the car, there would be very little noticible difference between the five and six speed, so I wouldn't let that be the only deciding factor. As some of the others have already said, a car with other desirable features such as a Navigation system or HUD with a five speed would be better for you than a six speed car without them.

Er71GT
07-05-09, 10:54 PM
Hey guys-
Thanks for all your great advise! Well from reading thru the posts over the last few days I can see that I should be looking for an STS rwd with the 1SG pakage in either trans as the trans thing isnt really a big deal to me. Can anyone tell me how you can tell if the car is a 1SG or ISE package? Is this the info that Ive heard is printed on the spare tire cover? I'm also assuming that the dealer should know.Right? I curently have the HUD option in my 03 Buick Ultra and I have to say that at first I hated it as it distracted me but after time I really got used to it. I dont think I could live without it now. Thanks again!

EChas3
07-05-09, 11:10 PM
Earlier 1SG's with HUD will also have ACC and will be loaded with virtually all the options. I think later years may not have HUD & ACC combined. I love my 2006 1SG, but it has AWD that I wanted and you don't. :)

Make sure to test drive it and exercize all the features. You'd hate to spend $20K+ (or $40K if nearly new) on a car that is only almost what you want.

Dougs06sts
07-10-09, 03:00 AM
Earlier 1SG's with HUD will also have ACC and will be loaded with virtually all the options. I think later years may not have HUD & ACC combined. I love my 2006 1SG, but it has AWD that I wanted and you don't. :)

Make sure to test drive it and exercize all the features. You'd hate to spend $20K+ (or $40K if nearly new) on a car that is only almost what you want.

I have the 1SF package which has everything but the HUD and ACC. I'm pretty happy with what I've got, but would have gone with the 1SG had one been available within the 3 months it took me to find a good deal on this one. :)

widmann@hotmail.com
07-11-09, 10:29 PM
i have a 1SF as well I didn't really know all the details on the various models but i'm happy with what i have..