: Troubles!!!

JTraik
07-19-04, 11:05 PM
I took my valve covers off for painting, put them back on today, I go to start up the car and it runs like absolute crap. It takes a steady foot on the pedal to keep the car running. If i let off the gas the engine can not idle...it will just choke out and die or run at a very very low and bouncy idle. If i step on the gas it will keep alive, but shake...to get rid of the shake i have to make the rpm even higher.

The only things i can think of are this....i may have knocked something loose while removing/installing the covers. I DID put 104 octane in the day before. The only reason i mention the octane booster is because the exhaust is extremely potent. It smells like i have 10 chainsaws running at the same time.

But i have checked everything and all the hoses seem to be plugged in and wires all set. And i was told that the octane additve would have absolutley nothing to do with this. And it ran fine coming home from the store yesterday.

Whats wrong with my baby?! :crying:

lux hauler
07-20-04, 12:18 AM
Did you take the spark plug wires off when you removed the valve covers? If so, check and double check that you have them where they are supposed to be......check for arcing wires and/or bad plug/s. Sounds like a spark problem to me. Remember.....the number one cylinder is on the passenger side in the very front and the firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

7|||||||||||8
5|||||||||||6
3|||||||||||4
1|||||||||||2

Front of engine

JTraik
07-20-04, 12:26 AM
Did you take the spark plug wires off when you removed the valve covers? If so, check and double check that you have them where they are supposed to be......check for arcing wires and/or bad plug/s. Sounds like a spark problem to me. Remember.....the number one cylinder is on the passenger side in the very front and the firing order is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

No i made sure i didnt because i didnt wanna f*** around with the firing order. I have made sure all the plugs are securely on the plugs and on the distributor. Even tho that would make sense, this car was purring yesterday
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

wurstarme
07-20-04, 02:47 AM
This probably won't help, but here goes... I installed some chrome covers on my 74 deville a while back and accidentally removed a vacuum plug on the intake manifold (it's an Edelbrock intake). My car did the exact same thing you're describing; I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die. I know you've checked all the vacuum lines.. I'm just telling you what happened to me :)

Then again it could be something completely different.. Cheers

jk1000
07-20-04, 02:57 PM
Just a shot in the dark

Check the pcv valve and hose. Sometimes the hose will crack and cause mixture problems. Check the entire hose including where it connects to the carb.

Good luck.

JTraik
07-20-04, 05:41 PM
My carelessness strikes again!!! I guess when i removed the valve cover i broke the hose right off the valve and at the time i couldnt figure out where the hell it went so when i put the covers back on i kinda just left it hanging there!!! Thanks for the help...im on my way to the store for a new valve, grommet and hose. :D

JTraik
07-20-04, 07:34 PM
I mean broke off the carb

lux hauler
07-20-04, 10:16 PM
...........But i have checked everything and all the hoses seem to be plugged in and wires all set.

.............i broke the hose right off the valve and at the time i couldnt figure out where the hell it went so when i put the covers back on i kinda just left it hanging there!!!.................
first you say that all the hoses seem to be plugged in. then you say you knew when you put the covers back on that that hose was just "hanging there"......? :hmm:

JTraik
07-20-04, 11:23 PM
I forgot to mention that i did not know what that tube was. I simply thought it was a tub for the valve to breath. I saw the broken end when i took things apart...i thought it looked odd so i looked all over for an open hole for it but i couldnt find anything so i thought it was all good. I mean that fitting it goes on to the carb is pretty well hidden under there! Its running good now tho!

Also another thing i would like to mention. When i had the covers off i was cleaning out all the gunk and on the oil breather side i found broken pieces of plastic just sittin in there right next to the springs and stuff. I took them all out and i found some broken pieces that confirmed it was once a cylindrical part at one point....its black plastic. Thats really all the info there is. What is it from? The other side didnt have any broken plastic in it.

lux hauler
07-21-04, 12:04 AM
does it look like it might have fit around the pcv valve? there was a rubber grommet that the pcv valve fit into that went in the valve cover.

JTraik
07-21-04, 02:10 AM
No this is on the oil breather side...the right side if your facing the engine. Im thinking something must have broke inside the breather. However i dont know whats inside of those.

jk1000
07-21-04, 11:32 AM
The breather side also has a grommet. Often they will crack with age. Remove all pieces from under valve cover, you might want to double check. I never disassembled a Caddy breather, so I don't know if any plastic pieces are inside. You might want to get a new one.
Yeh, the pcv hose that connects to the carb is not easy to get to. However, the newer foreign cars are far worse to work on. Work on a few of these and you will have a renewed appreciation for the old caddys. I now call the old cadillacs "real" cars.

Good luck

JTraik
07-21-04, 07:47 PM
Thats what all the older people say when they see this car. "Now thats a real car"

Well now that those problems are fixed there is one more thing to tend to. After about 6 miles of driving starting off from a cold engine....my oil light goes on. I just replaced the sender unit the other day. My oil level is fine, and the car drives fine...even with the light on. The sender unit was replaced because the old one was letting oil get out of it and it was making things messy. This new one seems to be holding in the oil ok....but the light comes on! Whats up?

lux hauler
07-21-04, 09:22 PM
First thing I'd do is get a true reading on the oil pressure. Check it at cold idle, warm idle and 2000-2500 rpm's warm.

jk1000
07-21-04, 09:42 PM
The only way to test the oil pressure is to connect a real PSI gauge.
It seems strange that the "low" oil pressure started after installation of the new sending unit. I have seen bad sending units show low oil pressure when in fact all was well. It is possible the new unit is bad (there are a lot of low quality auto parts out there).
As I see it you have two options, connect a test gauge or replace the sending unit with a different one.
Please be careful, you don't want to ruin the engine if in fact you do have low pressure.

JTraik
07-21-04, 09:45 PM
Its my daily driver. It seems to be getting along just fine, should/can i keep driving it until i get that checked out?

jk1000
07-22-04, 10:25 AM
If it was my car I would not drive it until I knew for sure what was going on.
Oil pressure is like blood pressure, without it you're history.
Good luck.

JTraik
07-22-04, 12:09 PM
:banghead: Well...so i should get a PSI guage and hook it up to where the sender unit is?

barge master
07-22-04, 03:56 PM
It would probably give you peace of mind. I would bet it's just a faulty sender, I have a fuel pump replacement story that would blow your mind. JK is probably just urging you to use caution because there is no second chance with oil pressure, and I would tend to agree.

JTraik
07-23-04, 12:19 AM
Meh...i got no other cars to drive...theres no leaks...oil level is fine and those senders are only a few bucks.

Theres nothing else that could really cause low oil pressure other than those things right? The light just kicks on when it gets to a certain temp. Never had the light go on before i put this unit in and the only things i have done is remove the valve covers and put them back on...with nice new rubber gaskets mind you!

lux hauler
07-23-04, 06:05 AM
If, in fact, you have low oil pressure, the engine WILL lock up.

Sasquatch
07-23-04, 10:33 AM
Didn't you mention you found some crap inside when you removed the valve covers? I don't want to bring you bad luck but if some of that got sucked into your oil pump that could cause low pressure. Highly unlikely Probably just a bad sensor but can't tell until you check with a gauge or replace sensor. I'm thinking about adding a gauge cluster to my car. Anyone ever done this? Where do you hook the oil, water, and alt, gauges to when installing?

Imprl59
07-23-04, 04:33 PM
Here's an idea for ya...

There are drains in the heads to drain the oil back to the pan. If those drains get partially stopped up the engine will pump oil up there faster than it can drain out giving you a low oil pressure light when the level falls. It is possible while you were in there cleaning things up you disturbed some gunk that has now settled over the drain hole.

Also the black plastic things you found probably used to be the rubber valve seals. They get old and brittle and busted up. These seals go on the valve stem under the spring. If you don't have a problem with oil burning I wouldn't worry about them except that the pieces will clog up the drain holes.

Steve B.

JTraik
07-23-04, 10:23 PM
Well i took your advice and didnt drive her today...went and got a new sensor and she is A OK :) So i just took her out and left a little trademark on the pavement nearby :halo:

jk1000
07-24-04, 10:38 AM
I am happy the engine is well.

It looks like another case of defective replacement auto parts. I believe the situation has become far worse in recent years.

You have a great car and we welcome your questions. Good luck.

Sasquatch
07-25-04, 09:03 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Happy for ya. I love when things work out the easy way. I agree it does seem that replacement parts have gotten worse. I replaced my radiator with a brand new four row radiator. Got it installed and began filling it when I noticed anti freeze dripping under the car. It had a pin hole in the backside. Even though this radiator was around $300.00 in most cases that's the price we pay for having them so cheap at the discount places. Did they replace the faulty one or make you buy another?

JTraik
07-25-04, 11:56 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Happy for ya. I love when things work out the easy way. I agree it does seem that replacement parts have gotten worse. I replaced my radiator with a brand new four row radiator. Got it installed and began filling it when I noticed anti freeze dripping under the car. It had a pin hole in the backside. Even though this radiator was around $300.00 in most cases that's the price we pay for having them so cheap at the discount places. Did they replace the faulty one or make you buy another?

Agreed...no they are usually pretty good about exchanging stuff...it was a no questions asked exchanged, i was happy.