: How do I put music on the harddrive

Chili Red
07-02-09, 07:19 PM
We purchased our CTS-V a month ago and I would like to download music to the hard drive. Can someone tell me how to copy music from iTunes (have an iPhone) to the cars hard drive? I have a memory stick, but I'm not sure how to copy the music. Do I copy the entire library, export files, copy individual files? I'm lost, please help.

:banana: :band:

wh921
07-02-09, 07:52 PM
As far as I know, you can't copy songs from an iPod or iPhone to the car's hard disk, you can only play them.

To actually put the songs on your car's hard disk, you need to figure out where iTunes is storing your music on your computer. Copy the music files from that folder onto your USB drive, then plug the USB drive into the car's USB port. Switch the stereo to AUX and hit the REC button and voila!

4gear70
07-02-09, 07:56 PM
Yes, this is what I did and it works. You can also do the same with a CD. Note that only 10 Gig of the 40 Gig drive can be used to store music.

Chili Red
07-02-09, 08:02 PM
Thanks. I will try this.

hyperboimmv
07-02-09, 08:47 PM
As far as I know, you should be able to open a window to the memory stick. and open iTunes, have the windows next to each other, highlight songs in iTunes and drag them over to the memory stick. As long as they aren't protected content, you should have no issues.

iTunes works the opposite way when adding music, so I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way. Otherwise everything should be in your user folder under music/iTunes.

62Jeff
07-02-09, 10:32 PM
And in case it isn't obvious, the memory stick works just as well with recorded music (not sure about iTunes music file format).

I keep a 16 Gig stick in my car at all times with 90+ CDs on it. I don't have any music stored on my car's hard drive

SlvrBullIT
07-02-09, 10:49 PM
I didn't think AAC (Apple's iTunes DRM format) works. Have to change over to .mp3 or .wma/.wmv formats to play. The ghetto method is burn them to cd playable discs and record on the V or file convert them then stick them on a usb media of some sort then record them that way. Trying to bribe the wife to hand over the really old ipod to permanently put in the center console box so I can just play from it so don't have to rip anything to the car's HD. Makes it easier to be mobile with music.

Zeagen
07-03-09, 12:47 AM
Why are you allowed to only use 10GB of the hard drive? What is used for the additional 30GB - especially if you don't have the Nav system and thats if the Nav system uses the hard drive.......

mik2718
07-03-09, 06:25 AM
The nav system, if installed, uses 30GB on the HDD. If you don't have nav, you can use all 40GB for music.

lavaman
07-03-09, 10:09 AM
I didn't think AAC (Apple's iTunes DRM format) works. Have to change over to .mp3 or .wma/.wmv formats to play. The ghetto method is burn them to cd playable discs and record on the V or file convert them then stick them on a usb media of some sort then record them that way. Trying to bribe the wife to hand over the really old ipod to permanently put in the center console box so I can just play from it so don't have to rip anything to the car's HD. Makes it easier to be mobile with music.

This is correct. The HDD will not recognize AAC as an acceptable music format. Your iTunes library will need to be converted to a different format. I used mp3 for mine. I converted the entire library and set iTunes to import any additions to the library to mp3. When you do this you'll double the size of the library (AAC and mp3 versions of each song.) After creating the mp3's I went to the itunes music folder in windows and deleted all the AAC files. I now have my iTunes in mp3 only. Within windows it's easy to copy the iTunes music folder to a usb flash drive. In your car, you can then either record the music to the HDD or simply play directly from the flash drive.

If you choose to do this it will take some time. I did it so I can have my library on the car, computer and Blackberry. If I used an ipod I think I would just plug it into the cars jack and not bother with the HDD.

Hope this helps!

Luna.
07-03-09, 09:52 PM
As far as I know, you should be able to open a window to the memory stick. and open iTunes, have the windows next to each other, highlight songs in iTunes and drag them over to the memory stick. As long as they aren't protected content, you should have no issues.

iTunes works the opposite way when adding music, so I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way. Otherwise everything should be in your user folder under music/iTunes.

So if I want to play my ITunes music, is this the best way, since I can't record the music to my harddrive?

There is no way to record from my Itunes to my harddrive? I couldn't get it to work, but I didn't put crazy study/time into it.

hyperboimmv
07-04-09, 05:44 AM
Well once you get the music from iTunes (as long as it is an unprotected format) you can put it on your removable media, and then put the media in the car and then copy over. You really aren't recording but transferring files. If you can find where your mp3's are stored at, you can just drag and drop them in windows as well.

hyperboimmv
07-04-09, 05:46 AM
Also, as far as I know or understand, you can go into itunes and tell it that you want to enable disk mode on whatever idevice you use. After that is done, you can copy the mp3s directly to that device, and you should then be able to plug the device into the car and the car should copy from the media player. I am not sure if the car has to be in target mode or not though.

vperl
07-04-09, 07:47 AM
Easiest way is to get a biggie thumb Drive........ put all your music in MP3........... drop all music, with no other things attached, just the music files into the thumb drive,,,, do not format thumb drive.... straight from the store drop the MP3's and when your 32 Gig Thumb drive is full plug into slot after a period of time the system then will show, you all sortsof information and different type of play lists....... works great and it is so easy that a .....

stealthjr
07-09-09, 06:07 PM
Ok...I'm hearing what some folks are saying...but still not quite there yet! :o

I took my ipod, hooked it up and hit record. It transferred like 800+ songs onto my harddrive! Woohoo! HOWEVER, some songs did not record at all and looking at my iTunes library...it appears it's because they are a "Protected AAC Audio File".

Now, my question is...can this be converted to a file that can be added to the harddrive or not? If the answer is yes...please tell me how! :suspense: I can't seem to find a way to turn this file into an MP3 anywhere!

Thanks,

Robert

jwa999
07-09-09, 07:07 PM
.it appears it's because they are a "Protected AAC Audio File"

Always avoid buying (DRM) protected songs. You can't do anything with them.
Fortunately, Itunes does allow you to burn them onto a CD as regular audio and then you can rip the CD to mp3. But you'll have some quality loss.

Luna.
07-09-09, 07:30 PM
I took my ipod, hooked it up and hit record. It transferred like 800+ songs onto my harddrive! Woohoo!

I can't even get that far. When I hook mine up, it won't let me record. :annoyed: What did you do beforehand in order to get it to transfer?

stealthjr
07-09-09, 10:18 PM
I can't even get that far. When I hook mine up, it won't let me record. :annoyed: What did you do beforehand in order to get it to transfer?

Depending on how many songs you have on your iPOD, you have to let the radio "sync" completely with the iPOD. Once that is done, (Took about 5 minutes for 800 songs for me) you should be able to just hit record and go for it!

Hope that helps!

stealthjr
07-09-09, 10:20 PM
Always avoid buying (DRM) protected songs. You can't do anything with them.
Fortunately, Itunes does allow you to burn them onto a CD as regular audio and then you can rip the CD to mp3. But you'll have some quality loss.

This is the problem I'm trying to solve. I need to know specifically, what I need to do in iTunes that allows me to convert "Protected AAC" files to MP3.
I can't find anything that tells me how to do this.

I appreciate your help.

Robert

stealthjr
07-12-09, 01:06 PM
Where did everyone go?

JWA999...help me man! :bouncy:

Thanks,

Robert

jwa999
07-12-09, 01:45 PM
Where did everyone go?

Thanks,

Robert

You have to burn the AAC songs to a audio CD from iTunes.
Add all your songs to a playlist and then you see a burn disk button at the bottom right of the window.

Then you can rip that CD to convert it to mp3 like any other audio CD. There are a million programs to rip a CD. I used to use musicmatch jukebox to rip CDs. it was very quick. I use Mp3tag to update the mp3 tags with the right title/album/artist.

There used to be some programs that could remove the copy protection off of apple aac files, but that was a big cat a mouse game between the hackers and Apple. Haven't kept up with the for a long time.

Hans.

Luna.
07-12-09, 10:13 PM
After it gives me the middle-finger, it says something along the lines that recording from this media type isn't supported... :mad:

mcopp
08-25-09, 11:54 PM
I transferred a bunch of music over, but any idea on how to make a playlist on the HDD?

inkpump
08-26-09, 09:18 AM
OK I messed around with this a lot including editing all the ID3 tags on the Mp3s to get them to display differently from the screen. The most disappointing element of the player is that you cannot import or copy play lists from the USB.
I tried everything I know but it seems the only way is to manually setup each play list. Set the HDD to display songs, choose the song you want to play. While its playing press and hold the play list button 1. It will beep and add that song to play list # 1. Repeat with every song you want to play. Long winded but once it's done you have a play list. Repeat for the next play list.
One good thing is that the voice recognition system seems to recognize the phrase "Music Playlist" better than any other command.
Good luck:bonkers:

Titaniumseeker
08-26-09, 12:36 PM
Where did everyone go?

Thanks,

Robert

I use Protected Music Converter to convert my itunes music files over to MP3 format for my MP3 Player in my BMW. And other than having to maintain two music formats (MP3 and AAC), it works like a champ.

//http://www.wma-mp3.com/protected-music-converter.html