: 1000 miles, what now?

Vedder
07-19-04, 10:55 PM
Already did one oil change at 450 miles. Now I am at 1000. I am going to do another one this week. How about other fluids like tranny, differential. I thought I read about someone changing some other fluids early.

what to do now? also, when is everyone donig there 3rd oil change?

StealthV
07-19-04, 11:13 PM
On my V, I changed oil at 364 miles and again at 1679 miles. The V is 30 days old today and it is just about ready to flip over 2,000! They sure do add up fast. Next oil change will be somewhere around 3,000 on the odo.

After consulting with the gear-train experts where I work, they recommend holding off on the first change on the transmission and rear axle until they are pretty well broke-in. My original plan was to change both of those compartments at the 364 mile engine oil change but have decided to hold off until this weekend when the V will be at about 2,100 miles. In the past month, I've had a good 1,000+ mile road trip along with some good brisk city driving so I'm thinking it's about as broke-in as it initially can get.

For the rear end, I've got the GM fluids. For the transmission, I picked up 6 quarts of Mobil1 ATF. Wasn't sure of the quantity I needed and I'm thinking it is under 4 quarts if my memory is correct from my other T-56 car. When it doubt, buy too much!

Dreamin
07-19-04, 11:16 PM
Dont forget to change the exhaust fluid... and rotate the air in the tires!

wildwhl
07-19-04, 11:26 PM
I changed my oil at 542 miles and again at about 2500 miles. The second oil change was plenty clean. I am now at 4500 miles and the oil life monitor, which I reset at 2,500 miles, reads about 60% oil life. I intend to change again at 6,000 miles regardless of oil life reading (or sooner if it gets to zero) and from there out simply follow the every 6 months or oil life monitor depending on how many miles I rack up.

As to the rearend, my dealer is going to be asked by me to swap the fluid once I finish breaking in the rearend over the next 500-800 miles. If they won't, I'll do it myself (that is if they won't for free, which I think they will after the hassles I've had). Trans...don't know. Anyone with knowledge of that issue here?

Air in tires gets changed frequently and it is quite amazing how often the fuel in the exhaust gets swapped out :)

StealthV
07-19-04, 11:47 PM
Trans...don't know. Anyone with knowledge of that issue here?

There is no drain plug on the V's T-56 tranny. GM calls it "filled for life." I call it "So you make me unplug the temp sensor and unthread it to dump the tranny fluid eh?"

My Camaro T-56 has a good old fashioned drain plug in the hole the V's temp sensor is located. Drain plug or temp sensor, I'd rather have the sensor!

Rich H
07-19-04, 11:56 PM
After consulting with the gear-train experts where I work, they recommend holding off on the first change on the transmission and rear axle until they are pretty well broke-in. My original plan was to change both of those compartments at the 364 mile engine oil change but have decided to hold off until this weekend when the V will be at about 2,100 miles. In the past month, I've had a good 1,000+ mile road trip along with some good brisk city driving so I'm thinking it's about as broke-in as it initially can get.

I understand your definition of "broke-in" where you attribute rear end and transmission wear based upon miles driven. But isn't the severity of service also an important indicator? In other words, 2,100 miles of track duty is certainly not equivalent to 2,100 mile of driving at highway speed.

I don't race on the track, but I don't baby my cars either - I'm willing to take on most challenges. I have yet to have a manual transmission or rear end fail and I've had a manual tranny on every car I've owned for the last 35 years. I have yet to change-out the tranny or rear end fluids, although I have topped them off when needed.

Am I just lucky? I don't think so. As long as you don't abuse your car these components should operate fine within the lubricant change-out schedules provided by the manufacturer. And for the CTS V, the manual says that neither fluid needs to be changed UNLESS there is severe service defined as:

1) high performance operation (track use?), or
2) Operating more than 3000 miles with the tranny oil above 290 F.

The latter is hard to measure if you haven't had the reflash but I doubt many cars will exceed the 290 F for 3000 miles.

Bottom line, unless the component lubricant is overheated due to severe service or becomes contaminated, why worry about changing any fluid except the engine crankcase oil? And, I don't think that a change of color is always necessarily a good indicator of harmful contamination or thermal breakdown, IMO.

Dreamin
07-20-04, 12:02 AM
"So you make me unplug the temp sensor and unthread it

That is the drain plug... it just has a temp sensor through the middle of it... :D

StealthV
07-20-04, 12:05 AM
Agree that application or abuse have a large bearing on the need to change fluids. For me, oil is cheap and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

2004ctsv
07-20-04, 03:11 PM
Dont forget to change the exhaust fluid... and rotate the air in the tires!

Beware - it might screw up the pressure sensors unless you rotate them also