: Speculation Confirmed: We Actually Had an Earthquake in South Jersey

AMGoff
07-02-09, 03:27 PM
It happened yesterday a little before ten in the morning... At first we heard what sounded like a loud boom, almost like a close by clap of thunder - yet the sun was definitely out... Then the entire house rattled and shook for a good 5-10 seconds. It was nothing major and there was no damage... but it was definitely more than noticeable.

The only thing slightly unsettling about the whole ordeal was simply that we had no idea what the hell it was... The thought of an earthquake didn't even register with us at first, hell wasn't even on our list of possibilities since earthquakes - especially ones that are actually felt, are very, very rare in this part of the country in general... Even more so in this particular area since South Jersey sits on a coastal plain.

But sure enough - it was an actual, honest-to-goodness earthquake... It was a magnitude 2.8 and the epicenter was approximately 12 miles, as the crow flies from our house.

Granted... It was an undoubtedly small one and I'm sure there are many others on here that have experienced far worse. But again, the sheer rarity of something like such happening here made it all the more notable. The last time I personally remember one similar was all the way back in 1990... I believe that one was a 3.2 and prior to that, my father had told me there was a 3.8 quake that shook the area in February of '73 which they remember clearly. Evidently, it caused such a stir that my mother went into false labor and was rushed to the hospital - all for nothing however, since I ended up stubbornly staying in there for another three weeks... lol.

Anyway... It was quite an event yesterday!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/ld1024312.php
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090701_Quake_rattles_Salem_Co___N__Delaware.html

Jesda
07-02-09, 05:58 PM
Maybe it was just a chemical plant that blew up.

Submariner409
07-02-09, 06:00 PM
Adam, We sit on a major fault. Benign, but it could snap at any time. Look what happened out around Memphis a few hundred years back......I just hope that California blows first: that would relieve a lot of stress elsewhere.........

hueterm
07-02-09, 06:32 PM
I heard that on the radio yesterday -- glad there wasn't any damage.

When I was in college, there was a New Madrid earthquake that was felt in St. Louis, which is a few hundred miles away. VERY disconcerting, even though it was very minor.

dkozloski
07-02-09, 07:17 PM
We have about 20,000 earthquakes each year. You've got a ways to go.

77CDV
07-02-09, 07:19 PM
2.8?!? The semis going up the 101 shake the ground more than that. Call me when you hit 6.0 or better.

orconn
07-02-09, 07:36 PM
We Californians can sneer at an earthquake of 2.8 on the Richter scale, but there's not a lot going on South Jersey so a small earthquake takes on a significance all its' own. Hope it didn't colapse any tables at Cowtown!

Playdrv4me
07-02-09, 08:34 PM
2.8 for that part of the country is a BIG deal because it would take considerably less magnitude to have a disastrous effect on the older, more brittle and NON earthquake rated structures there.

Submariner409
07-02-09, 11:52 PM
A year or so ago a small quake here in central E Maryland knocked a flower pot over.

When I was stationed in Naples, Italy in the late 60's you could sit in the living room and watch the ceiling lights (on swag chains - 12' ceilings) jiggle back and forth 24/7 as the lava underground farted and burped back and forth between Vesuvius and Solfatara.

JimHare
07-03-09, 10:12 AM
I was at work when it happened but the wife called and said the whole house shook and rattled - they were concerned around here that it was the nuclear station at Hope Creek (3 mi south) or the Dupont-Chambersworks chemical plants in Carney's Point (5 mi north). The epicenter was about 7 mi N/E of here in Elsinboro. As Tony noted, they're rare enough around here to not be high on the list of "what the heck was that?" conjecture...

On the other hand, had the quake leveled the town of Salem, it would have done over $100 worth of damage.. :)

Submariner409
07-03-09, 11:17 AM
:eek:..............especially if the tsunami in the Delaware River had sunk your boat..........

(The worry about Salem Power Plant just points out how ingrained our unjustified fear of nuclear power really is. The country would be far better off, energy-wise and dependency-wise, if we would build another 300 of the things. Over 90% of France is lit by inexpensive nuclear power - at our present rate of non-construction it will take us 500 years to catch up. My whole-body radiation dosage during an 80 day ballistic missile nuclear submarine deterrent patrol was less than any resident of Denver receives in two weeks.)

orconn
07-03-09, 01:22 PM
:eek:..............especially if the tsunami in the Delaware River had sunk your boat..........

(The worry about Salem Power Plant just points out how ingrained our unjustified fear of nuclear power really is. The country would be far better off, energy-wise and dependency-wise, if we would build another 300 of the things. Over 90% of France is lit by inexpensive nuclear power - at our present rate of non-construction it will take us 500 years to catch up. My whole-body radiation dosage during an 80 day ballistic missile nuclear submarine deterrent patrol was less than any resident of Denver receives in two weeks.)

Are you sure, or is that what the Navy told you? You see, we live in an un-trusting age! Ha! ha!

dkozloski
07-03-09, 02:00 PM
Hey Sub. Do they still make everybody wear a dosimeter badge?

Hooligan63
07-03-09, 04:45 PM
2.8?That's nothing,we have been getting 3.8's and above here since last year.Man,I could sleep right through a 2.8..Watch out Jersey,you're becoming the new California.

Hooligan63
07-03-09, 04:48 PM
By the way,this leads me to the discussion of California breaking off in to the ocean.I was reading theories on this,and wondered if the same people that came up with these theories still thought the world was flat too.I can elaborate of anyone cares

Submariner409
07-03-09, 06:14 PM
Whole-life dosage ? Absolutely dead-nuts positively certain. Been there, done that. Naval nuclear power steam generation is absolutely the safest form of energy creation currently in use on the planet. It's all highly efficient steam power, kids. The reactor supplies the heat, not coal or oil or gas, and it's absolutely clean and green. Expended U238??? Stick it back in the Marianas Trench whence it came. It will recycle in 275,000,000 years.

We used to wear a neutron badge and pocket dosimeter. Later in the 70's it went to dosimeters only. I think that only nukes wear them now. We DID have to wear other stuff when we did fire watch or welding observation duty in the reactor compartment. When the plant is shut down you can sit on top of the reactor vessel and there is nothing emitted. BUT when the reactor is critical, that's why the compartment is cased in several feet of lead and polyethylene block (Poly eats neutrons for lunch, while the lead kills Alpha and Beta particles.)

(We can only hope and pray that California breaks off and disappears, but no such luck. The State is currently imploding anyway, so it won't take long. IOU's for civil service pay vouchers ?? C'mon......)

77CDV
07-03-09, 09:57 PM
Watch out Jersey,you're becoming the new California.

NJ is still solvent......:rolleyes:

Playdrv4me
07-03-09, 10:29 PM
By the way,this leads me to the discussion of California breaking off in to the ocean.I was reading theories on this,and wondered if the same people that came up with these theories still thought the world was flat too.I can elaborate of anyone cares

Care not found.

77CDV
07-03-09, 10:40 PM
Care not found.

:histeric:

Jesda
07-03-09, 10:51 PM

Wishful thinking.

JimHare
07-04-09, 09:32 AM

I agree - we were talking about it a work and I said I'd rather live three blocks from any US nuclear plant than 30 miles from a coal mine. A couple of people seemed incredulous when I stated that there was no way in hell a nuclear station could "explode" without someone placing a bomb in it, and that the security around them is tighter than a penguin's rectum..

Submariner409
07-04-09, 10:15 AM
Guess where 99% of U.S. nuclear power plant technicians/operators come from.

.......and the security is so tight, not to prevent someone stealing U238 (How and why ???) but to prevent some radical group from making just enough of a scene to get the news media up in arms and rekindle the nuclear paranoia with their misinformation and creation of "news".

(What the hell does all this have to do with earthquakes ? ....and I started it. Sorry, Adam.)