: Late model double din radio in 94 FWB??

bmwnick
07-02-09, 02:25 PM
Will a later model double din GM radio (non Bose) work on a 94 FWB?? My friend is giving me the OEM double din GM radio from his 2002 Vette. Has anybody heard of any attempts to retrofit another GM radio into a 94??

Thanks

jayoldschool
07-02-09, 03:21 PM
Don't think the Vette head unit will work. I believe it communicates with the BCM. I think that most post-2001 models won't work...

thefleetwoodguy
07-02-09, 03:31 PM
Will a later model double din GM radio (non Bose) work on a 94 FWB?? My friend is giving me the OEM double din GM radio from his 2002 Vette. Has anybody heard of any attempts to retrofit another GM radio into a 94??

Thanks

Nick
not sure if it was covered yet
but the 94 fltwd brghm has a 2 part stereo, the dash unit
and a trunk mounted receiver/amp
in next to the power antenna
the wires behind the head unit, do not go to individual speakers
they go to the trunk unit

bmwnick
07-02-09, 03:53 PM
Nick
not sure if it was covered yet
but the 94 fltwd brghm has a 2 part stereo, the dash unit
and a trunk mounted receiver/amp
in next to the power antenna
the wires behind the head unit, do not go to individual speakers
they go to the trunk unit

Wow. Great info. That changes everything. So am I to understand that if an aftermarket radio is installed then the rear speakers need to be re-wired directly to the new head??

Thanks.

bmwnick
07-02-09, 04:05 PM
Where are the factory speakers located and how many are there?? I think that upgrading this radio is going to be a bit more of a project than I anticipated.(or at least a lot more expensive)

Stingroo
07-02-09, 05:12 PM
You and me both Nick. lol

93sevillests
07-02-09, 05:26 PM
if yours is like mine then your going to have to run a longer antenna cable from behind the radio to the radio receiver too along with the speaker cable or at least run the speaker cable directly to the speakers

thefleetwoodguy
07-02-09, 05:48 PM
theres a tweeter in front of the front door handles
a mid range speaker in the bottom of the front doors as well
and the two on the rear speaker shelf
all the wiring for the speakers is at that rear amp unit
so you would need to rewire the 6 speakers, or lengthen the rear wires to run forward, to behibd the dash,:rant2: (I know what your thinking lol)

a properly working stock system is WAAAY above avg, I/M/O :thumbsup:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-02-09, 08:18 PM
There are aftermarket radios out there that can be used as just a control surface and still work with a remotely mounted reciever/amp. That is how the aftermarket radio in my Brougham works, no wires were cut at all during the installation. Talk to an A/V expert at a local store like Tweeter or Fry's and see what they can do for you.

bmwnick
07-02-09, 09:05 PM
There are aftermarket radios out there that can be used as just a control surface and still work with a remotely mounted reciever/amp. That is how the aftermarket radio in my Brougham works, no wires were cut at all during the installation. Talk to an A/V expert at a local store like Tweeter or Fry's and see what they can do for you.

What brand of radio do you have??

Stingroo
07-02-09, 10:40 PM
He has a JVC radio. I saw it when he posted in another topic of mine. It's a nice looking one too. It's my inspiration :P

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-03-09, 12:18 AM
Credit goes to the previous owner. I would never have put my money towards this but the job was so well done I have decided to keep it.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0104.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0122.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0127.jpg