: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ..!! PLZ help

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 01:37 PM
Hi Guys , I dont know what is wrong , the CHECK ENGINE llight came out , what is it about !??! what might be wrong !?!? what shall i do ..?!!

plz help

but today , i just came back home , i parcked the car for 10 mins , then turned it on again , and the light was ON !!

Malibu310
07-02-09, 01:58 PM
My experience with High Performance cars is sometimesjust a loose gas cap...

kencav
07-02-09, 02:02 PM
Does the car have any mods?

tedcmiller
07-02-09, 02:50 PM
If you have access to a scanner, check for and record any DTCs that have been set and cause the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) (sometimes referred to as the Check Engine light because it looks like a little engine) to be set. Then reset the DTCs. Resetting the DTCs will also cause the MIL to go off. If the DTC(s) call(s) for an easy fix, do it. If subsequent start/shutdown cycles cause the MIL to come back on and the same DTCs are set, the car needs attention from your dealer. If the car has been modified, you probably cannot get free help from the dealer.

If you do not have access to a scanner, try reseating the gas cap (it will take several start/shutdown cycles to turn off the MIL). As Malibu310 suggested, an improperly seated gas cap can cause the MIL to come on and this is a frequent error.

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 03:37 PM
Does the car have any mods?

NO , the car is STOCK ., no mods at all bro ..

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 03:39 PM
Thanx for replying guys ... but what is the gas cap ?!?!?

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 03:41 PM
If you have access to a scanner, check for and record any DTCs that have been set and cause the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) (sometimes referred to as the Check Engine light because it looks like a little engine) to be set. Then reset the DTCs. Resetting the DTCs will also cause the MIL to go off. If the DTC(s) call(s) for an easy fix, do it. If subsequent start/shutdown cycles cause the MIL to come back on and the same DTCs are set, the car needs attention from your dealer. If the car has been modified, you probably cannot get free help from the dealer.

If you do not have access to a scanner, try reseating the gas cap (it will take several start/shutdown cycles to turn off the MIL). As Malibu310 suggested, an improperly seated gas cap can cause the MIL to come on and this is a frequent error.

What do u mean by (( an improperly seated gas cap )) bro ,,?? and how to reseat it !?!?

Talamant3z
07-02-09, 03:48 PM
Thanx for replying guys ... but what is the gas cap ?!?!?

the cap that covers your gas tank. u know what u take off to put gas into your car

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 03:57 PM
the cap that covers your gas tank. u know what u take off to put gas into your car

yeah yeah ., of course i know it .., i got it bro :) Thanx..

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 03:59 PM
But it .. is it possible that the Check Engine light comes on coz of the gas cap ..?!!

knowing that my car is STOCk .., no mods at all , is that something serious ?!

i will try to reseat the gas cap now ..

neuronbob
07-02-09, 04:01 PM
Ted's advice is right on the money. I had the same experience this weekend and I posted about it in the "problems" thread. Luckily, I have a scanner, and so I had my answer in about ten minutes (including time spent Googling). We won't know whether this is anything serious until we know which code you pull.

chopmeat
07-02-09, 04:04 PM
No Mods? Don't freak out, go to the dealer!

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 04:12 PM
Ted's advice is right on the money. I had the same experience this weekend and I posted about it in the "problems" thread. Luckily, I have a scanner, and so I had my answer in about ten minutes (including time spent Googling). We won't know whether this is anything serious until we know which code you pull.

I c ..., thanx for sharing the info bro ..

I dont have scanner .. so i must take it to the dealer ..

and in ur situation it was the gas cap ?!?! or what was the prob ..?

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 04:42 PM
And Now i found out something else .., that I cant start the car by the remote !? it wont start remotely !? this is the first time ! everyday i start the car remotely in the morning !!
is it something related to the (( Check Engine )) light ..?!

By the way , I tried to reseat the gas cap ...

neuronbob
07-02-09, 04:47 PM
My situation was not related to the gas cap. Sounds like electrical gremlins and it's time for a visit to the dealer.

UAEmonster
07-02-09, 05:24 PM
My situation was not related to the gas cap. Sounds like electrical gremlins and it's time for a visit to the dealer.

bergstpg === He had the same problem (( the check engine )) light thing ..., in his thread (( V2 Throttle control problem )) , and he mentioned that the dealer changed the spark plugs , and the problem solved .., but then came back again .., because he had something else .. ( the winter tyres ) and another problem .. , so dont u think it might be spark plugs !??!

jwa999
07-02-09, 05:36 PM
bro, dude, man, IT COULD BE ANYTHING... go to the dealer!!!!!!
Check engine light will come on for a million things.
Without the actual code that's thrown, it's hard to know.
You're driving yourself crazy.

Florian
07-02-09, 05:42 PM
your car is doomed. Park it and run away before something else happens.

sheesh.....I guess the sky must be falling over there.

F

kencav
07-02-09, 07:27 PM
BTW remote start will not work when check engine light is on- computer shuts off that feature

Dr. Design
07-02-09, 11:11 PM
Dont worry about that. The vehicle will not remote start with a check engine light. There are not electrical issues with your vehicle. Just need to identify the check engine light and proceed to monitor the vehicle. If it is the gas cap, just take it off and screw it back down till you hear at least 3 clicks. If the vehicle has an improperly seated gas cap you will get an EVAP code which will cause a check engine light. Once the vehicle detects that the CAP is sealed properly the check engine light will turn off and you will be able to remote start your vehicle again.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

And Now i found out something else .., that I cant start the car by the remote !? it wont start remotely !? this is the first time ! everyday i start the car remotely in the morning !!
is it something related to the (( Check Engine )) light ..?!

By the way , I tried to reseat the gas cap ...

aceofblitz
07-02-09, 11:35 PM
Take it to the dealer and tell them you bought the cadillac of cadillacs. They should look into all your problems, and get a free oil change, have a cup of tea to relieve your stress, enjoy your ride. Atleast you're not getting a "speed limited to 137 km/h" from time to time >:(

UAEmonster
07-03-09, 07:18 AM
WoooooW .., it is OFF .., it gone now .., :)

It was the GAS CAP thing .., i take it off and put it back again . thanks God it was not something worse

and probably it happened when i filled the car with gas the indian guy in the petrol station was just in a hurry ...!

Thanks for all the great guys who helped out here :) u r amazing guys

UAEmonster
07-03-09, 07:20 AM
Dont worry about that. The vehicle will not remote start with a check engine light. There are not electrical issues with your vehicle. Just need to identify the check engine light and proceed to monitor the vehicle. If it is the gas cap, just take it off and screw it back down till you hear at least 3 clicks. If the vehicle has an improperly seated gas cap you will get an EVAP code which will cause a check engine light. Once the vehicle detects that the CAP is sealed properly the check engine light will turn off and you will be able to remote start your vehicle again.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Problem Solved .. Thanks Dr.Design .. thanks for the info. :) ur great

ctsv5005
07-03-09, 07:20 AM
thats good news Ahmed, i hope next time when you fill the gas in your car have a double check, sometimes these guys can be stupid. Anyways take care bro

UAEmonster
07-03-09, 03:16 PM
thats good news Ahmed, i hope next time when you fill the gas in your car have a double check, sometimes these guys can be stupid. Anyways take care bro

Yeah .., thanks .., u too bro :)

linus809
07-05-09, 08:38 PM
I don't have a CTS-V, but I drive an '09 CTS Direct Injection with manual transmission. It's got the FE3 suspension.

My check engine light went on last week. I took it in to the dealer, and the they said a wire was loose. Then, this weekend, the check engine light went on again! I noticed that when I was in 5th gear and the RPMs were around 2200 and I tried to accelerate, the car shuddered and I had to lay off the acceleration. I called OnStar and they did a diagnostic and said cylinder #4 was misfiring. They said I should take it in to the service department, but that I might also try a higher octane gas with some additive cleaners.

I put in a full tank of 93 octane, but the issue still persists.

Of course this happened over the Independence Day weekend, so no dealer was open.

Will see what they say. I only have 2000 miles and this cr*p is happening to my car?! This is totally turning me off Cadillac.

cmicasa
07-05-09, 10:30 PM
Hey I just want some of U t know that if U push the ONSTAR button and tell them that U are getting a Check Engine light (on any GM vehicle) they can do a DIAGNOSTIC on the car right from where they are. It can give U a pretty good idea of exactly what the issue is before calling your dealer:thumbsup: