: Well. It looks like there's a new Cadillac on it's way...

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 10:59 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum-coming-december-2011/173608-cadillac-news-cadillac-dts-sts-replaced.html

This should replace the STS and DTS. No rear wheel drive, unfortunately. They'll be doing the Audi thing with AWD, though. There's not a whole lot of information available yet but we've got a new forum to discuss the XTS...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-02-09, 11:11 AM
Are there any pictures of the new car or is it all just talk as of right now?

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 11:25 AM
No pictures as of yet. When they become available, they'll be found in the XTS forum...

eyekandyboats.inc
07-02-09, 12:26 PM
so now all we will have is the SRX, CTS, XTS, and the lade.
Oh well :(

hueterm
07-02-09, 12:47 PM
If the XTS becomes the CTS' big brother -- that would be pretty hot. Especially if there were an AWD version. I just hope it's bigger than the STS....

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 12:51 PM
If the XTS becomes the CTS' big brother -- that would be pretty hot. Especially if there were an AWD version. I just hope it's bigger than the STS....
It'll be about the same size as the Lincoln MKS. The "new" American full-size.. Yeah, I don't like it either - but what can ya do when GM would rather bow to CAFE rather than allow the customers to pay the difference...

The Tony Show
07-02-09, 02:12 PM
The Liberal media has spent the last decade shredding GM's image by painting them as producers of huge, gas guzzling, environmentally destructive vehicles- even though during that time they've manufactured some of the cleanest and most efficient vehicles in the world.

Ask 100 people on the street if a Chevy Traverse gets better gas mileage than a Honda Pilot, and I'll bet 90 of them say no (even though it does).
Regardless of whether or not it's true or justified, GM now has no choice but to go to the other extreme to convince the public that they make fuel efficient cars.

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 02:16 PM
The Liberal media has spent the last decade shredding GM's image by painting them as producers of huge, gas guzzling, environmentally destructive vehicles- even though during that time they've manufactured some of the cleanest and most efficient vehicles in the world.

Ask 100 people on the street if a Chevy Traverse gets better gas mileage than a Honda Pilot, and I'll bet 90 of them say no (even though it does).
Regardless of whether or not it's true or justified, GM now has no choice but to go to the other extreme to convince the public that they make fuel efficient cars.
It's unfortunate that a once great company like Cadillac has to succumb to a media that no longer reports the news but makes the news.

hueterm
07-02-09, 02:21 PM
The STS is 197", the MKS is 204" and the DTS is 207". Considering that our gov't consists of the offspring of "Hello Kitty" and "My Little Pony" (i.e. no balls) -- if the XTS were the size of MKS, I'd be satisfied.

I just hope it isn't crossover SUV-like in height, like the MKS. It needs to look sexy...

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 02:26 PM
If I had one wish, it would be that the XTS is as wide as a Town Car with an extended wheelbase version available...
If I had a second, it would be that the XTS had a 400hp v8 as an option. :)

hueterm
07-02-09, 02:29 PM
Yeah That ^^^

orconn
07-02-09, 03:34 PM
^^^^^ I quess I'll just have to keep my '95 Seville STS in tip top shape and keep driving it. Maybe Mercedes or BMW will come up with something. There are no "ricers" in my future.

The Tony Show
07-02-09, 03:35 PM
It's unfortunate that a once great company like Cadillac has to succumb to a media that no longer reports the news but makes the news.

I agree, but this too shall pass. We survived the Mustang II, K cars and Feather Dusters, and we'll make it through this as well. Meanwhile, anyone who voted for a Democratic senator or Barack Obama needs to keep their mouth shut about the state of the Auto industry for the next 4 years.

83CADMAN
07-02-09, 04:22 PM
A democrat in a Cadillac???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-09, 06:31 PM
If it's the size of a current S Class/7 Series/A8, that's great. (204-205") In today's market, there really aren't any cars longer than that.

Lord Cadillac
07-02-09, 06:41 PM
If it's the size of a current S Class/7 Series/A8, that's great. (204-205") In today's market, there really aren't any cars longer than that.
I don't care how big it is on the OUTSIDE. I'm concerned with how big it is on the INSIDE.

ryannel2003
07-02-09, 06:58 PM
I think I'm more interested in what motor they'll be sticking under the hood...

The boys on GMI will have fun with this one. Nothing but "Cadillac is done" posts with 1000 all agreeing. Most likely the reason why I usually don't log on to that site too much.

77CDV
07-02-09, 07:34 PM
Packaging is everything. If they can come up with a stylish car that looks large and is engineered to provide a spacious interior, the reduction in length by 2-3" won't matter too much. Sad about FWD being standard, though. I would much rather RWD.

Playdrv4me
07-02-09, 08:45 PM
So long RWD :(

hueterm
07-02-09, 08:58 PM
Aren't the MKS and its siblings very large inside? If this is going to be its largest car, Cadillac will have to give it ample room. Otherwise, it's just a CTS...

Rodya234
07-02-09, 09:10 PM
I don't care what drive set-up it is. I mean, RWD would be cool, but Devilles have been FWD for how long now? It should be expected.

As for size, as long its as big as the Deville I have now it will be fine. 211 inches is a good size. :thumbsup:

But the deal-breaker for me will be whether or not it has a V8. Standard or option, it has to have some way that I can get a V8 in it from the factory. If not, then the Audi A8 will remain my #1 choice for full size luxury.

90Brougham350
07-02-09, 09:13 PM
The fact it's FWD once again proves there's no balls left in America. Yup, I bet BMW, MB, and Lexus will really take Cadillac seriously now. Better watch out, here comes another comparatively slower, poorer-handling FWD Cadillac. I bet the LS crowd will be trading theirs in in droves.

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-09, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it's pretty lame the flagship Cadillac is still FWD. I thought we'd finally gotten away from that..

Rodya234
07-02-09, 09:34 PM
The fact it's FWD once again proves there's no balls left in America. Yup, I bet BMW, MB, and Lexus will really take Cadillac seriously now. Better watch out, here comes another comparatively slower, poorer-handling FWD Cadillac. I bet the LS crowd will be trading theirs in in droves.

Brian

Come now, do we really buy cars because of our perceptions about what others will think? Who cares what they think? Who cares if it's FWD, because who in the world is going to put their 4000+ pound, full size luxury car on a track anyways?

The Answer: The only people who do care are speed racer kids who's only comment would be: "LOL Wr0ng wh33l dr1v3 d00d LOL, I BET UR 10 SECONDS SLOWER then <insert car here> AT THE HAMBURGERKINGRING!" And who spend all their time looking up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on cars they could never afford to buy.

I for one, am the kind of person that just doesn't care. If I want a car with acres of space, that is comfortable and makes me happy, I'd stick with my Deville. If I wanted a car that's an "UB3R FA2T Ch!ck MANGN3T" I'd go trade my Deville and buy three yellow Camaros.

Playdrv4me
07-02-09, 09:37 PM

Brian

This.

If it must be FWD however, I hope it blows the MKS away.

gary88
07-02-09, 09:58 PM

Brian

+2

Another FWD failboat won't put Cadillac back on the map against the S class/A8/7 series/LS460.

This would have:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/Cadillac-Sixteen-Concept-Road-Wet-1.jpg?t=1246582401g

Come now, do we really buy cars because of our perceptions about what others will think? Who cares what they think? Who cares if it's FWD, because who in the world is going to put their 4000+ pound, full size luxury car on a track anyways?

The Answer: The only people who do care are speed racer kids who's only comment would be: "LOL Wr0ng wh33l dr1v3 d00d LOL, I BET UR 10 SECONDS SLOWER then <insert car here> AT THE HAMBURGERKINGRING!" And who spend all their time looking up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on cars they could never afford to buy.

I for one, am the kind of person that just doesn't care. If I want a car with acres of space, that is comfortable and makes me happy, I'd stick with my Deville. If I wanted a car that's an "UB3R FA2T Ch!ck MANGN3T" I'd go trade my Deville and buy three yellow Camaros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV18ZBXwwYM

ryannel2003
07-02-09, 10:29 PM
I enjoy my Seville, but I won't own another FWD car again (even though a DTS is still a strong consideration). The RWD STS simply blows the Seville's out of the water when it comes to handling. Even though styling = Seville > STS. Any day of the week.

Rodya234
07-02-09, 11:29 PM
If GM incorporated LSD's into their FWD designs, the cars would handle phenomenally better. LSD's can eliminate torque-steer, and cut down greatly on under steer when turning.

It doesn't even make sense to me that they don't put LSD's into every front wheel drive car. :cookoo:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-09, 12:37 AM
Look at it like this....what other world class luxury car company builds FWD full size luxury sedans??

Audi....nope.
BMW....nope.
Jaguar....nope.
M-B....nope.
Maserati....nope.

hueterm
07-03-09, 12:58 AM
Yes, they need a RWD platform. And yes, that model "should" be the one they introduce. They should keep the current DTS going and put their development efforts into a RWD large sedan. HOWEVER -- they're also owned by a hot mess of fail (NObama, his minions, and the UAW) and are bankrupt. They need to get another model out on the lots that will sell in large numbers. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the lack of an ongoing V8, than if it's FWD or RWD.

I would wager that 9 out of 10 people out there don't know if a CTS is FWD or RWD -- or even care -- it's sexy, fast, and has previously unseen build quality out of G(ovt)M.

I think the current STS is gorgeous, especially after the '08 refresh -- and an '08+ N* (or STS-V) CPO is in my future. For whatever reason, however, it isn't selling. The DTS is a cash cow, that isn't substantially different from my 1995 Concours. It will have a market while it lasts, but it's not setting the world on fire.

Yeah, it should be now -- but "if" they make it, and "if" we can beat back this idiotic green movement, they'll have an opportunity for a RWD V8 7/S competitor. And if it's as good as a CTS (i.e. priced like an "E" and compares to an "S") -- it will be a success.

orconn
07-03-09, 01:18 AM
Let's face the success of a new Cad will come down to how good it looks! Apparently it will be sized comparably to its' European competition (thank you Chad) so it's really, will it be well suited for American driving and will it be better looking than its' competition (not hard to do considering the competitions current senior models). Let's face it performance buffs are not going to be buying "big" Caddies anyway .......... most of them can't afford to buy a Mercedes S class or a BMW 7 series that can get out of its' own way (lastime I checked they started at around $125,000.) ..... and the car makers don't care if eventually an enthusiast can afford to buy one used. So let's hope the new DTS replacement is a really great looking car, with plenty of interior space (when interior space is desired from a smaller sized car FWD wins with that criteria), and let's hope, for prestige reasons, they make a V-8 available.

thebigjimsho
07-03-09, 05:27 PM
Aren't the MKS and its siblings very large inside? If this is going to be its largest car, Cadillac will have to give it ample room. Otherwise, it's just a CTS...
The MKS is packaged poorly. The back seat room is good, but not good enough for the overall size of the car. And the trunk? The size is decent but have fun trying to stick a golf bag through the ridiculously small opening.

It can never be the replacement for the Town Car.

thebigjimsho
07-03-09, 05:30 PM

I will always choose my Town Car over a DTS until Caddy goes RWD because the way the car drives is drastically different. The way the car swallows large undulations is different. The way the front end wears is different. Put a 4000+ car on a front end that has to drive the car and steer means you'll be replacing front end bits at a rapid rate.

Lord Cadillac
07-03-09, 06:39 PM
I will always choose my Town Car over a DTS until Caddy goes RWD because the way the car drives is drastically different. The way the car swallows large undulations is different. The way the front end wears is different. Put a 4000+ car on a front end that has to drive the car and steer means you'll be replacing front end bits at a rapid rate.
As long as America keeps backing down to CAFE instead of simply passing the fees onto the customers willing to pay them (like Mercedes and BMW does), we're going to get "small" full-size luxury cars.

Playdrv4me
07-03-09, 11:26 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again... FWD is simply more complex overall to maintain and work on than a straight-forward RWD system. It just comes down to the laws of physics and packaging. When you stuff so much running gear into one end of a vehicle, you are testing the limits of every piece of that puzzle. This in addition to whatever it may or may not do for handling and driving characteristics and the inbalances in weight.

eyekandyboats.inc
07-04-09, 02:02 AM
i hope this XTS will have a rear console like the BLS and a same kind of interior package.!

C0RSA1R
07-04-09, 03:53 AM
It's unfortunate that a once great country like America has to succumb to a media that no longer reports the news but makes the news.

Fixed. :thumbsup:

Jesda
07-04-09, 04:17 AM
I dont mind a FWD/AWD luxury car, as I tend to like Audis.

But I don't prefer it.

V-Eight
07-05-09, 07:44 PM
No RWD = me not buying it

hueterm
07-06-09, 12:35 AM
I posted in the XTS forum, but why aren't they using the Holden/G8 platform? Put it out for one model year, and then it goes away??? Idiots...

AMGoff
07-06-09, 12:38 AM
No RWD = me not buying it

Then why exactly do you have a FWD car??

Aron9000
07-06-09, 12:43 AM
I hate FWD cars with lots of hp. They spin the tires like crazy and torque steer really bad. Plus its a bitch to get that compact transmission to last under high horsepower/abuse. Ask the owners of hopped up w-bodies(supercharged V6 and V8 models) how they like their trannies.

There is a reason flagship luxury cars are RWD. They just simply drive nicer and can accomdate some really wild high hp motors under the hood. Cadillac needs a world beater in the 90-110k range that the S-class occupies. Going FWD is a definite step back to 1985.

hueterm
07-06-09, 12:46 AM
They need to get $50-60K right before they start messing around w/$100K. XLR anyone?

V-Eight
07-06-09, 11:46 AM
Then why exactly do you have a FWD car??

My family got it when my Grandpa died, I didn't buy it. I said I wouldn't buy one with FWD, not that I wouldn't take one :D