: DVD Audio - 1 disk won't work

carter's_sts
07-02-09, 03:00 AM
Anyone else had this? My 06 STS, with Nav / Bose works fine with all disks I've tried, but one.

There is one specific DVD Audio disk that will not play at all. It's Santana's Supernatual, put out by Arista Records. Insert the disk in the changer and a message comes up saying Copy Protection Error (it is not a copy, it's the original).

This same Disk works fine on my home player and I have other DVD Audio disks that work fine in the STS. Thanks!

If nothing else, I want to know what the problem is so I don't waste money on any other disks that won't play.

EChas3
07-02-09, 04:43 PM
Can you get the disk to fail on any other player? (Old, cheap, etc.?)

dkozloski
07-02-09, 09:04 PM
Anyone else had this? My 06 STS, with Nav / Bose works fine with all disks I've tried, but one.

There is one specific DVD Audio disk that will not play at all. It's Santana's Supernatual, put out by Arista Records. Insert the disk in the changer and a message comes up saying Copy Protection Error (it is not a copy, it's the original).

This same Disk works fine on my home player and I have other DVD Audio disks that work fine in the STS. Thanks!

If nothing else, I want to know what the problem is so I don't waste money on any other disks that won't play.
How do you know that the disk isn't a Chinese pirate copy sold as an original?

MacMuse
07-02-09, 09:12 PM
Take a close look at the DVD packaging. It may list (in the very tiny fine print) a copyright or description of the anti-copy protection applied to that disc. Then don't ever buy another DVD with that brand/style of copy protection.

If you have the receipt (and feel like having some fun with an innocent retailer), take it back and say it doesn't work in your DVD player. They'll give you another, which probably won't work. Repeat the process until the manager surrenders and refunds your money. Don't settle for a store credit either - makes the whole event more memorable for the store who can then carry the complaint upstream to the distributor and maybe the production company.

carter's_sts
07-03-09, 12:47 AM
As far as other players, I have not tried that. My only home DVD player is a Sony Blue-Ray and it works with that. I might be able to see if someone else can try it in an older player.

It came from Amazon. Here is the link:

Amazon.com: Supernatural: Santana: Music (http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-Santana/dp/B0000E6XKN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246592361&sr=1-1)

I doubt if it's a pirate copy and it was sealed. I don't see anything about copy protection. It just says a few things about how you can play it and that it won't play in a regular CD player (have to have the DVD or DVD Audio logo on the player).

dkozloski
07-03-09, 02:51 PM
I've bought DVD movies from B&N that were pirated copies of European distributions that had all kinds of weird language options, Portuguese and such. The Chinese will pirate, format convert, and then print any damn thing they want on the package and they are sold all over the world by anybody that thinks they won't get caught.

EChas3
07-03-09, 03:07 PM
As far as other players, I have not tried that. My only home DVD player is a Sony Blue-Ray and it works with that. I might be able to see if someone else can try it in an older player.

Your Sony will likely play virtually any disk. Smart consumers choose players that play everything they already own. I think MacMuse is on the right track but don't discount Koz's position.

:ripped::confused: