: how do i operate CD while nav is active?

jeffgtx
07-19-04, 09:28 PM
do i really have to switch to the cd menu, press next, and then go back to nav?
i see the button to skip from disc to disc, but not track to track.
oh, to have radio buttons instead of cruise on teh wheel.
thanks
Jeff

Caddy Man
07-19-04, 09:35 PM
do i really have to switch to the cd menu, press next, and then go back to nav?
i see the button to skip from disc to disc, but not track to track.
oh, to have radio buttons instead of cruise on teh wheel.
thanks
Jeff
i dont have the v, i think ure steering wheel is differnt than mine, i programmed my 4 buttons customizable buttons and 2 of them i use to switch the track back and forth.

StealthV
07-19-04, 10:48 PM
Wish we had the steering wheel audio controls but since we don't, yes, as far as I know, you need to switch back to the CD screen.

07-20-04, 12:10 AM
I am a bit amazed at the hassle it is to switch from function to function on this car. Even the DeVille "info" screen has one button to easily scroll through. On the V you really need to do a lot of futzing around.

The only saving grace is that, I think, the "i-drive" of our german friends is even more of a hassle.......

Doug

jeffgtx
07-20-04, 04:55 PM
frick, i thouight for sure there would be someone on here that figured something out, like if you hold down something it does teh CD or something... boo hoo hoo...

somebody figure out how to hook the cruise buttons to the stereo!

hopefully a software upgrade can fix it.

sefa01
07-20-04, 05:52 PM
..and of course if you want to play a DVD while you're driving, you can't--or can you?

See Cadillac FAQ if you're interested.

ctsvett
07-20-04, 08:29 PM
I think someone should find a way to add the voice controls (which would be able to do what you are talking about).... as far as I can tell all that is necessary is for someone to buy the "steering wheel module" and somehow hook it up to the class 2 serial bus for the radio. Remote mount that module and button (somewhere near the shifter- ashtray perhaps) and when you press it, you can use the voice commands... The microphone is already there as the ability to recognize them shoudl be

This would be the best and I think it is possible if you use the 04 steering wheel module and find a way to put it on the raido calls 2 bus.

I think the radio has the ability to do this even though it is not enabled. The reason I say that is because when you go to "setup" menu "program SWC" is there, but just grayed out....

Anyone want to buy me the module, I will find a way to make it work. Miscreant, part number?

Reed

miscreant
07-20-04, 08:35 PM
I think someone should find a way to add the voice controls (which would be able to do what you are talking about).... as far as I can tell all that is necessary is for someone to buy the "steering wheel module" and somehow hook it up to the class 2 serial bus for the radio. Remote mount that module and button (somewhere near the shifter- ashtray perhaps) and when you press it, you can use the voice commands... The microphone is already there as the ability to recognize them shoudl be

This would be the best and I think it is possible if you use the 04 steering wheel module and find a way to put it on the raido calls 2 bus.

I think the radio has the ability to do this even though it is not enabled. The reason I say that is because when you go to "setup" menu "program SWC" is there, but just grayed out....

Anyone want to buy me the module, I will find a way to make it work. Miscreant, part number?

Reed

I believe you are right. I will it look it up. My Nav radio I just installed in my regular CTS is from a CTS-V, and I have radio controls. The input is steering wheel controls - right, and are controlled by Ohm feedback. I bet the module sends out an "I'm here" signal on class 2, and then when you push the button it changes the resistance on the input to control the voice command. Now the question really is if you have the two cellular voice lines from the onstar box. Get into your right rear, behind the panel to access your onstar box and see how many wires you have coming out of the black connector (connector 3).

ctsvett
07-20-04, 10:03 PM
What do the cellular voice lines have to do with this?

Doesn't the microphone already feed the radio? Thats how you get the voice memo feature to work right?

My feeling is that it is already hooked up but since they took the module out of the steering wheel it was by design disabled but hte fucntionalit is still within the radio. I like Miscreant's "i'm here" theory!

If you get me that part number, I will give it a try.

Reed
http:/www.cadillafaq.com

WhiteLightning
07-21-04, 12:11 AM
I too am quite interesting in this... I'll try as well (with a part number)

WL

jeffgtx
07-21-04, 04:28 PM
i am confused between two theories....

you are going to try to add voice control, or are you going to add two or four button somewhere that eventually get to teh back of the stereo and operate the volume and prev/next functions?

i would prefer the latter (which also make sense to me that it is possible), but anything would be better than teh current situation.

thank goodness for knowledgalbe/adverturesome people on car forums!

ctsvett
07-21-04, 04:42 PM
Jeff,
I think the options are one and the same... My assumption (and miscreant will be able to verify once he gets the part numbers) is that the button module that is in the steering wheel is one single part. So, in theory we will add the 4 button (programable buttons) and the voice activation button.... I want both also. It's worth a shot.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

miscreant
07-22-04, 03:55 PM
What do the cellular voice lines have to do with this?

Doesn't the microphone already feed the radio? Thats how you get the voice memo feature to work right?

My feeling is that it is already hooked up but since they took the module out of the steering wheel it was by design disabled but hte fucntionalit is still within the radio. I like Miscreant's "i'm here" theory!

If you get me that part number, I will give it a try.

Reed
http:/www.cadillafaq.com

AH! you answered the question with the voice memo. Thanks. The reason I questioned it was that in non-nav units, but still bose, the microphone goes to the onstar unit, but then does not go from the onstar unit to the radio. In Nav units, the microphone still goes to the onstar unit, then to the Nav. The microphone does not go straight to the radio. But if you have voice memo, then you got it!

The part number is 25767333. This is the complete "V" shaped cover unit with the buttons in it, that's the only way it comes. This is without the harness, we can figure out how to plug it in if it works right later. I also am attaching the CTS and CTS-V schematics to assist you, and the pinouts of course are on my site.

If someone wanted to just test the ohm load on that pathway, that's all that it looks to be. It looks like the power signal is always on, and then when you depress one of the buttons, you create a certain resistance on the line which is measured and trips function.

jeffgtx
07-22-04, 04:35 PM
how much is it?

if we can decipher the schematics right, can;t we make our own makeshift control box, and then hook it into the radio?

ctsvett
07-22-04, 04:35 PM
Miscreant,
Can this be plugged in anywhere on the serial bus (to teh radio of course)?

I am thinking about using the XM serial bus feed from the rear deck (since I will be under there anyway...)

What do you think?

Reed

benjet
07-22-04, 04:59 PM
AH! you answered the question with the voice memo. Thanks. The reason I questioned it was that in non-nav units, but still bose, the microphone goes to the onstar unit, but then does not go from the onstar unit to the radio. In Nav units, the microphone still goes to the onstar unit, then to the Nav. The microphone does not go straight to the radio. But if you have voice memo, then you got it!

If someone wanted to just test the ohm load on that pathway, that's all that it looks to be. It looks like the power signal is always on, and then when you depress one of the buttons, you create a certain resistance on the line which is measured and trips function.

OHH OHH OOOOOHHHH - I think we are on to something here! I'm not going to have time to look at this in depth in the next few days, but if someone else starts this I can see what I can do to help. It would seem that to test the theory we don't even need the part # above, just the right resistors.

-Ben

miscreant
07-22-04, 05:00 PM
Miscreant,
Can this be plugged in anywhere on the serial bus (to teh radio of course)?

I am thinking about using the XM serial bus feed from the rear deck (since I will be under there anyway...)

What do you think?

Reed

No serial bus that I can see. Looks like its resistance only.plugs right into the open ports on your radio (shouldn't have wires there as you don't have it from the factory). Take the print out of the radio connector 1 and connector 3 to your local stereo shop and pick up the radio connectors that match that and use a tool to remove the terminal and wire from the respective connectors to snap into the factory connector.

If you look at the Radio schematics, the switches are powered by Radio connector 3, pin 2, with ground at pin 8 (make sure the ground is present). Then you have an input from the Steering wheel control buttons (the 4 buttons on one side, the voice button, and the audio button in the middle of the volume wheel) at Connector 1, pin 13. Then your volume wheel has two inputs at pin 5 and 12. Make those connections and you should be good to go. Since there is no serial, my guess is that the power through the circuit tells the system it's present. I'll help you track down the connectors for the steering wheel if you'd like. They are Molex Females.

miscreant
07-22-04, 05:08 PM
OHH OHH OOOOOHHHH - I think we are on to something here! I'm not going to have time to look at this in depth in the next few days, but if someone else starts this I can see what I can do to help. It would seem that to test the theory we don't even need the part # above, just the right resistors.

-Ben

*looks* like you need to ground pin 8 of radio connector 3, send power to a switch with resistor from connector 3, pin 2, then back to connector 1, pin 13 (use the radio schematics at my site). The problem is that the resistance of the 4 switches is listed on the steering wheel schematics, but the two buttons on the right are not listed. We need to find that resistance. I'm going to try to track it down.

ctsvett
07-22-04, 05:17 PM
Miscreant..

How much is that V wheel part? I answered this: its 41 from gmpartsdirect.com.... Does this include all of the switch modules?

I dont want to blow up my radio with a bad resistor but I also dont want to spend a fortune on parts.... I am willing to try this if it is not really expensive...

Is this port Empty on the v?

Reed

miscreant
07-22-04, 06:09 PM
Miscreant..

How much is that V wheel part? I answered this: its 41 from gmpartsdirect.com.... Does this include all of the switch modules?

I dont want to blow up my radio with a bad resistor but I also dont want to spend a fortune on parts.... I am willing to try this if it is not really expensive...

Is this port Empty on the v?

Reed

Does include the modules, just not the harness.

The ports should be open, the radio outputs and inputs are the same, and they are only used for those purposes.

miscreant
07-22-04, 06:10 PM
If I get a wild hair, I'll break open my dash AGAIN and see if I can measure resistance... ;)

ctsvett
07-25-04, 07:57 PM
Miscreant,
any luck here? Which ports (which connectors) do the steering wheel controls go into (which connector part numbers)? Do you have a picture of the rear of the radio?

I am working on another project today, but I will get the parts this week and do it next weekend.

Reed