: 2001 DTS Disappearing Oil

ellabean571
07-01-09, 06:49 PM
Hi Everyone!

Although I am the one who has registered, I am here for my father who despite his desire to connect with the wide world web, totally fears it. So, with that being said I have come here in an effort to try and help him solve an issue with his beloved car.

He has a 2001 DTS with 75,000 miles on it. He is now putting oil in it weekly. The car is \not showing any signs out the exhaust of "burning" any oil (i.e. smells, smoke) there are no leaks or drips present on the ground and he had a dye test done which showed absolutely nothing. The car does seem to be running okay but we have been told that maybe it's burning it out the exhaust and it could be the intake manifold? valuve guides?:thepan: ANY opinions on this would be GREAT. Thanks!!!!!

steve518
09-01-09, 04:19 PM
Hey, hello & I have the same thing happening to my 2000 STS w/ 126,000. It has had this problem for quite a while with no ill effects, however mine only looses about a quart every three weeks so it hasn't been a big hassel. I would still like to know where its going if only has knowledge of this problem with the 4.6L - 300hp motor.
Thanks,
Steve

Submariner409
09-01-09, 05:39 PM
Both these questions belong in the Northstar engine forum. No Northstar owner will see these.

Y'all need to go up in the black bar ^^^ and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive with emphasis on the article "occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine" or close.

The Northstar thrives on "spirited driving", and the engine is set up for it. Sedentary putting around sticks the rings in their grooves and carbons up the valves.

Run a Top Tier gasoline (Google it to see why) and dump in a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON, fill up with 93 Shell, Chevron, or Texaco, and go for a screamer of a drice.