: Dexool Questions

JoeT1224
07-01-09, 10:56 AM
I posted a thread last week about my purge hose springing a leak on my car, but when I loosened the clamps and removed the small hose I found that the coolant recovery tank is actually the culprit with the nipple having developed fine cracks (should have known). So I'm going to be replacing the coolant bottle and draining and refilling the coolant.

I had a Cadillac dealer that recently closed that drained and refilled the coolant a couple years ago (never "flushed") and did it again 2 years later when the water pump bombed so I want to do things right obviously.

My question is this: I think I'd like to go ahead and use the Prestone Dexcool but I want to know is it premixed with distilled water? I'd like to save the hassle of mixing it and just pour the stuff back in when I'm done.

Joe

Ranger
07-01-09, 11:01 AM
I have no clue what it is premixed with. You'd probably have to call Prestone.

Submariner409
07-01-09, 11:07 AM
Take a hard look at the coolant jug - The labeling will tell you whether the contents are full strength or premixed (50/50 coolant/distilled water). You'll also find out that the pre-mixed variety is considerably more expensive per gallon, for only 50% of what's in the full strength jug.

kckranz
07-01-09, 03:50 PM
Buy the undilluted "concentrate" as you'll probably need more than a gallon anyway and get a gallon of distilled water to make another gallon of 50/50 antifreeze. Go to the local dollar store and get a one gallon plastic watering can with the gradients printed or etched on the side.

1. Pour 1/2 gallon of the distilled water into your watering can (using the gradients to tell you when you've reached 1/2 gallon).
2. Open and pour enough concentrated antifreeze to fill the gallon jug to the top (fill in for the water you just poured out).
3. Take the distilled water from the watering can and add it to the antifreeze jug.

You now have 2 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze for about the price of one predilluted. Give your wife the watering can for those cute pansies out back.