: Unused connector

tedcmiller
06-30-09, 09:20 PM
On my 2009 CTS-V there is an unused connector. This connector is positioned near the right rear of the engine and comes out of the the wiring harness that supplies the wiring to the three main connectors on the ECM. I noticed it because it was partially "unwrapped" and determnined that it is a six-position connector - two rows of three openings - with a male connector plugged into a female connector. The female half has five wires - orange, pink, black with white tracer, green, and blue with white tracer. The male half has nothing connected to it. I looked for such a connector in the factory service manual and could not find it. The closest thing was the front pedestrian protection connector which the CTS-V does not have (but my wife's 2008 DTS does), but all six wiring positions were used and the wire colors did not match what was specified in the factory service manual.

Anyone know what this connector was intended for, and why was it partially uncovered on my car?

perfect
07-01-09, 12:22 PM
might be an engine block heater? dunno what those look like but I think the first gen V's have a similar unplugged connector tucked away in the engine bay....

tedcmiller
07-01-09, 12:40 PM
I had two V1s and don't remember seeing such an unused connector on either one in the engine compartment or anywhere else.

CadV
07-01-09, 01:57 PM
I had two V1s and don't remember seeing such an unused connector on either one in the engine compartment or anywhere else.

ted can you snap a picture for me so I know which connector your talking about? I have the engine block heater on mine so I can tell you real quick if mine is used.

mik2718
07-01-09, 02:55 PM
CadV, what in the world are you doing with a block heater in Grapevine? I haven't felt the need for a block heater since I left North Dakota.

CadV
07-01-09, 02:59 PM
CadV, what in the world are you doing with a block heater in Grapevine? I haven't felt the need for a block heater since I left North Dakota.

Car came loaded I didn't order it.

Fubar75207
07-01-09, 03:42 PM
I want one. I hate the fact that there is a missing button on my car.

tedcmiller
07-01-09, 04:20 PM
I made a mistake when I said that the unused connector came out of the cable supplying the three connectors on the ECM. Actually the unused connector comes out of a large cable coming through the firewall near the ECM. After the unused connector is distributed from this cable it goes underneath the ECM. I have a photo of the connector lying on top of the right side cover next to the gas spring that holds up the hood, unwrapped, and the blank male plug installed in the female half containing the five wires I mention in my original question, but I don't know how to attach it to this post.

RWFJR
07-01-09, 04:31 PM
Car came loaded I didn't order it.

Thank God I don't need it in sunny St. Petersburg, FL!!!

vperl
07-01-09, 06:31 PM
Thank God I don't need it in sunny St. Petersburg, FL!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

it is a Storm surge/cockroach/bamma Protector plug in for Florida.

tedcmiller
07-01-09, 06:58 PM
Since at least two people have suggested that the mystery (unused) connector is associated with the coolant heater (that is what they call it in the factory service manual - not an engine block heater), I checked it out and determined (correct me if I am wrong) that the coolant heater does not connect to the car wiring. It is powered by 120V or 240V AC directly from outside the car. At this point, I think it is safe to say that the unused connector is not associated with the coolant heater option.

On another note, those who have nothing constructive to offer, need not post to this thread.

vperl
07-01-09, 07:52 PM
:welcome::bs:
Since at least two people have suggested that the mystery (unused) connector is associated with the coolant heater (that is what they call it in the factory service manual - not an engine block heater), I checked it out and determined (correct me if I am wrong) that the coolant heater does not connect to the car wiring. It is powered by 120V or 240V AC directly from outside the car. At this point, I think it is safe to say that the unused connector is not associated with the coolant heater option.

On another note, those who have nothing constructive to offer, need not post to this thread.

mik2718
07-01-09, 08:37 PM
I checked it out and determined (correct me if I am wrong) that the coolant heater does not connect to the car wiring. It is powered by 120V or 240V AC directly from outside the car.

From the manual:

Engine Coolant Heater
Vehicles with the engine coolant heater can use this
option in cold weather conditions at or below 0F (−18C)
for easier starting and better fuel economy during engine
warm-up. Plug in the coolant heater at least four hours
before starting your vehicle. An internal thermostat in
the plug-end of the cord may exist which will prevent
engine coolant heater operation at temperatures above
0F (−18C).
To Use the Engine Coolant Heater
1. Turn off the engine.
2. Open the hood and unwrap the electrical cord.
The cord is located near the driver side strut tower.
Remove the plastic cap to access the plug.
3. Plug it into a normal, grounded 110-volt AC outlet.
4. Before starting the engine, be sure to unplug and
store the cord as it was before to keep it away
from moving engine parts. If you do not, it could
be damaged.

tedcmiller
07-02-09, 12:37 AM
Thank you, mik2718, for verifying what I said. Now, if someone could tell me how to attach a photo, I could show the rest of the readers what actually exists.

jwa999
07-02-09, 12:55 AM
Thank you, mik2718, for verifying what I said. Now, if someone could tell me how to attach a photo, I could show the rest of the readers what actually exists.

Scroll down a bit when you're typing your reply....
|
|
|
|
V
Manage Attachments

Make a jpeg no more than 800 pixels...

tedcmiller
07-02-09, 03:23 PM
Thanks jwa999.

This is the unused connector.

tedcmiller
10-20-09, 11:06 PM
I am posting to this thread again to move it to the top of the list. I am doing this because the unused connector was never identified. Since there are no post posts from ewill3rd, maybe he never saw this question. If you know, ewill3rd, please respond. A picture of the connector (unwrapped) is provided just before this post. The location is the right side of the engine compartment (from the driver's seat view), and the connector and its cable come out of a harness coming through the firewall and ultimately going underneath the engine computer.

It is definitely not a heater core connector and has nothing to do with that. Many people suggested that as a possibility, but it is not the case.

SkullV
10-20-09, 11:43 PM
For a while GM was wiring open connectors to the EGR valve pins on the PCM even for vehicles with no EGR valve. It could be something like that.

jperaino
10-21-09, 12:03 AM
It might have something to do with the heated windshield washer fluid which was discontinued.

ewill3rd
10-21-09, 07:43 AM
It looks "used", I mean it has something plugged into it.
It is hard to tell from that photo but it looks like it is capped off or something. Is that a weather seal coming out of the mating end?
If you remove that other half what is inside of it?

MReiland
10-21-09, 08:13 AM
I think I found it, my best guess is......

Winshield Washer Solvent Heater (XA7) which they deleted on almost all vehicles after 2008 due to problems with the supplier.

Connector Part #33427-0611

Looks like JP found it above, but it is a 6 pin connector in the service manual so it would match, the manual shows only 5 used. Colors Green, Blue/White, Black/White, PK - Pink?, and OG I am guessing Orange.

ewill3rd
10-21-09, 09:19 AM
Windshield Washer Solvent Heater X2 (XA7)

Connector Part Information
•OEM: 33472-0611
•Service: 19115669
•Description: 6-Way F Sealed (BK)

Terminal Part Information
•Terminal/Tray: 33012-1003/23
•Core/Insulation Crimp: 2/E/2
•Release Tool/Test Probe: J-38125-217/J-35616-14 (GN)

Windshield Washer Solvent Heater X2 (XA7) Pin
Wire
Circuit
Function

0.35 L-GN
Washer Fluid Heated Control Switch Signal

0.35 D-BU/WH
Washer Fluid Heated Control Switch LED Supply Voltage

--
--
Not Used

0.35 BK/WH
Ground

0.35 PK
Windshield Washer Switch Signal

0.35 OG
Ignition 3 Voltage

I think we have a winner.

tedcmiller
10-21-09, 11:15 PM
Yes we have a winner. For the record, the unused connector has nothing to do with engine block heaters or EGR valves. It was intended for the heated washer fluid, if this car had it, which it does not. There is no mention of heated washer fluid in the owner's manual, but the factory service manual has quite a few references to it. The most important is the connector description found on page 11-411 of the factory service manual. Note this the connector for Windshield Washer Solvent X2, not X1. Both are labeled XA7 (?). The number of possible pin openings in the connector (X2) matches (6), and the wire colors match. As with the unused connector, only five of the possible six positions have wires in them. Position 3 is not used. As suggested by jeperiano and verified by MReiland and ewill3rd it would be for the windshield washer fluid heater if there was one.

For ewill3rd, the connector shown in my photo does have another connector plugged into it, but there are no wires in the plug. I am not sure why they went to this trouble unless there was a possibility that the heater unit would be added later. The unused connector was, as I said partially wrapped in the protective cover when I first discovered it. After that, I wrapped it completely. The positions and use of the connector pins you provided matches perfectly the chart in the factory service manual on page 11-411.

Many thanks to those who tried and those who were correct in solving the mystery of the unused connector.

mik2718
10-22-09, 08:03 AM
It was intended for the heated washer fluid, if this car had it, which it does not. There is no mention of heated washer fluid in the owner's manual, but the factory service manual has quite a few references to it.

The 2009 CTS/CTS-V owner's manual describes the system operation on page 3-12, starting with this introduction:

Heated Windshield Washer
For vehicles with the heated windshield washer fluid
system it can be used to help clear ice, snow, tree sap,
or bugs from the windshield.

ewill3rd
10-22-09, 09:18 AM
XA7 would be the RPO code for that option, so it means if you have XA7 that connector is for the washer system.
The other connector listed is the power and ground for the pump I believe.
The harness is probably universal and they put a sealed mating connector on there to keep water from wicking in to the harness most likely.
The mating connector probably has some little seals in each hole to prevent water entry.
Old school, they would have just left it hang. I think there are water control issues in that area so they sealed it up.

tedcmiller
10-22-09, 01:25 PM
mik2718 points out that the heated windshield washer fluid is described on page 3-12 of the CTS/CTS-V owner's manual which it is. I think the key phase here is "For vehicles with the heated windshield washer fluid system...". The 2009 CTS-V does not have the heated system so it does not qualify as one of the "... vehicles with...".