: Gale Storm Dies

Sandy
06-30-09, 11:00 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/arts/television/29storm.html?em

She lived so long, most do not recall her & her TV show, "My Little Margie"

orconn
06-30-09, 12:41 PM
I certainly remember "My Little Margie" and the "Gail Storm Show" from the early 1950's. Her shows must have been among the first to be cinescoped and broadcast nationally. My family moved from Pasadena, CA to New Jersey in 1953 so my father could head up RCA's color televison program. "My Little Margie" and the "Betty White Show" were two programs I never missed. In those days most of the programming was local with only a few evening network shows being broadcast on a national basis. Because I had met and knew Betty White and Lee Liberace on visits to the the TV station where my dad was chief engineer (KLAC, now KCOP) I was able to have a little of the Southern California I knew, while learning about my new home Haddonfield, N.J. I thank those ladies and other stars like William Boyd (Hoppalong Cassidy), Roy Rogers, and Leo Carillo for making my life a little easier while I transitioned to my new home on the East Coast.

Ranger
06-30-09, 12:47 PM
Not a good week for celebrities.

Jesda
06-30-09, 03:27 PM
Do any of her old shows air on nickatnite? I know the name but never saw her work

orconn
06-30-09, 03:53 PM
Because they were so early in TV's history and the kinescope technology was a film technology many of the recordings of her early shows have been lost. I think that they said only 28 of her programs still exist which may be too few for syndication or any type of series reruns. The taping of TV shows became more wide spread in the US in the late 1950's and early 1960's, before that braodcasters had to rely on filmed kinescopes for shows made in NYC to be rebrodcast on the West Coast and vice verse. Some references credit my Dad with inventing Kinescope technology for filming TV shows. I find this very hard to believe because while he was very definitely one of the early pioneers of early television and had many patents relating to early telvision broadcast technology he never mentioned his work on this system to me. Dad left the field of TV engineering in the mid 1950's and spent the rest of his career as a senior engineer and manager in the defense electronics field.

CIWS
06-30-09, 03:54 PM
Not a good week for celebrities.

Certainly not a good month for them. :yup:

orconn
06-30-09, 04:08 PM
There are still a lot of the old TV stars alive, unheard of for years, who are now in their eighties and certainly their seventies who will be passing on in the near future.

hueterm
06-30-09, 09:26 PM
They used to show My Little Margie on Nick and Nite when I was a kid -- but it's been 20 or more years ago.

JimHare
07-01-09, 08:27 PM
RE: TV Celebs still living - I'm constantly amazed that Harry Morgan is still with us - jeeze, we was on TV as a grown man in the 50s, what with Dragnet and other shows - then M*A*S*H in the 70s.. he's gotta be 110 if he's a day.. :)

77CDV
07-01-09, 10:37 PM
About the same age as Karl Maulden, I should think, mid to late 90s.