: Reg oil or Synthetic oil

quaid99
06-30-09, 09:32 AM
Hi guys I know this has been done a million times but I need to get some answers. I just purchased 99 sts with 143,000 and has been maintained well by previous owner. My mechanic said at next oil change I should use Mobil one Synthetic oil and have been reading a ton of good and bad things on this forum. I phoned a GM dealer and spoke to service advisor he said stick to what owners maintence manual is. Has anyone changed and had any problems???

Thanks

STSS
06-30-09, 09:37 AM
If it aint broke, dont fix it!

The engine was designed for dino, so why put in synthetic? At the very least, you're asking for leaks.

kckranz
06-30-09, 09:51 AM
If it aint broke, dont fix it!

The engine was designed for dino, so why put in synthetic? At the very least, you're asking for leaks.

+1

Nice car. Go with the advice of the GM mechanic and refer to your owner's manual - use the vehicle's oil life monitor to determine change interval.

Ranger
06-30-09, 11:28 AM
Conventional dino oil is all it needs.

quaid99
06-30-09, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys I will use Conventional dino oil as Manual calls for it.

Thanks STSS,kckranz and Ranger

Quaid99:thumbsup:

codewize
06-30-09, 09:14 PM
I vote regular. Since the filter can't last as long as you expect the synth to then you still have to crawl under the car to change the filter.

Since it's been proven that the benefits of synth will only be reaped until after about a million miles or so I don't see the point in spending 4 times as much per qt.

As long as you run the proper weight oil it really just doesn't matter and in my opinion, synth oil is a huge marketing ploy

Ranger
06-30-09, 09:56 PM
:yeah: