: Winter in a V?

jgraditor
06-30-09, 07:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone has gone through a Chicago type winter in their V? I have an 09 3.6DI AWD and an 08 Corvette, and was thinking of trading both in to get a CTS-V? I am sure snow tires are a must, but are they enough? Looking for some input here. Thanks!

Kadonny
06-30-09, 08:55 AM
The man you want to speak with is Short-Throw.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=81554

He went through last winter in Chicago (I believe) with his V.

This will be my first real winter and I am getting a second set of wheels and probably some Pirelli winter tires to cope.

jgraditor
06-30-09, 09:25 AM
Sent him a PM, thanks!

readyact
06-30-09, 09:26 AM
The OEM tires on this car make driving in the northern US during winter very dangerous. You guys are on the right track with getting some winter tires as anyone in the north should if you plan to use your V2 as a DD during the winter months. There are some threads on here with some real life reviews of the winter tires which fit our Vs.

Here are some other links:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/157273-winter-scare.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/166795-winter-tires.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/163105-how-many-you-daily-drove-your.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/159069-after-market-cts-v-wheels-winter.html

Florian
06-30-09, 09:56 AM
my 04V absolutely sucked in winter, so does my STSv.....buy a beater for the snow.

F

mbshoe
06-30-09, 03:06 PM
I'm in sunny California (Sierra Nevada foothills), and my 09V on stock tires was scary in some slush from a little bit of wet snow.

neuronbob
06-30-09, 03:15 PM
The OEM tires SUCK under about 35 degrees. I know, it got VERY cold shortly around the Land of Cleve shortly after I bought my car. In addition, we had early April snow this year (gee thanks, dear wife, for making me stay here! :D ) and I actually had to use the wife's Pilot for two days. :( I have never tried these summer tires in snow, and I never will, horrible idea.

I now have a set of extra wheels and some stock-sized Pirelli Sotto Zeros, and I'm set for next winter. As noted above, Short-Throw is the man to talk to about winter weather and the V.

FactoryFast
07-04-09, 03:11 AM
I wouldnt hesitate on the aquistition based on cold weather driving concerns. Tires and driver are way more important aspects than the drivetrain. I ran my 05 CTS V all last winter with Nokian WR G2 All seasons. Due to the nature of the industry my job is 24/7/365. I had to drive through every storm and through the thick of the worst one. I had no issues, and in all cases was driving faster than everyone else. From a stop going up an icy/snowy hill she would kick out a lil bit but it always achieved forward momentum. A few good parking lot sessions with your V on snows will help you realize the cars limitations...of course accidents do happen...just be careful....just Do it.
:thumbsup:

end9472
07-04-09, 10:27 AM
My '05 V was my daily driver and I made it through a couple of Chicago winters without incident. As mentioned previously, snow tires are a must. I ran Dunlop Wintersports on an extra set of the narrower (fronts) stock rims. Remember it's not only the tread but the compounds used in the winter tires that provide better grip in the cold weather. Use second gear when starting from a dead stop when especially slick. I also put a couple bags of tube sand in the trunk for good measure but it probably wasn't necessary. I will probably do something similar with my '09 V2.

Would the V be my first choice for winter driving - no. But so long as you take it easy when the roads get slick, you should be fine 95% of the time. Take the wife's SUV when a storm dumps a foot of snow.

Over the last 30 years people seemed to have forgotten how to drive in winter weather. Chalk it up to front wheel and four/all wheel drive vehicles, I guess. People think they are invincible but the same rules apply. But back when everyone drove rear wheel drive cars, when roads were snow covered we took easy, allowed plenty of distance for stopping, and usually made it to our destination. The V2 is too good a car to pass up. Enjoy!

Prof
07-12-09, 05:42 PM
TireRack is recommending only one for snow for the CTS V:

Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero...

vperl
07-12-09, 07:10 PM
Keep it under 70 you'll be just fine

YoshiV
07-13-09, 10:31 AM
The OEM tires SUCK under about 35 degrees. I know, it got VERY cold shortly around the Land of Cleve shortly after I bought my car. In addition, we had early April snow this year (gee thanks, dear wife, for making me stay here! :D ) and I actually had to use the wife's Pilot for two days. :( I have never tried these summer tires in snow, and I never will, horrible idea.

I now have a set of extra wheels and some stock-sized Pirelli Sotto Zeros, and I'm set for next winter. As noted above, Short-Throw is the man to talk to about winter weather and the V.

Drove my 05 all last winter in Cleveland on SottoZero Pirellis and had no trouble getting around, and believe me I put them to the test!

bergstpg
07-16-09, 02:49 PM
I drove my V2 through most of a Minnesota winter, but the Sotto Zero tires where required. Also, make sure you get the exact tire size to replace the stock tires. I didn't and spent a month in the shop trying to figure out why my traction control kept messing around with my idle rpms. See a previous thread about that.

liqidvenom
07-17-09, 10:45 PM
my job never closes so i had to drive to snow during serious snow storms where my fwd car got stuck and my v just drove on like it was no big deal. tires and driver mod help alot.