: Just got 2nd Caddy

05devilledave
06-30-09, 07:22 AM
Hello guys, just a few questions. Ive had an 05 Deville for 2 yrs and it has done great, and yesterday I acquired a 1967 Fleetwood Brougham. I bought it 200 miles from home from a guy. It was sitting in a Barn for 15 yrs. LOL Anyways, I went and got 10 gals of gas, primed the carb, and she fired right up. Got her for $1500. Everything works except the rear windows wont roll down no matter which switch I use, and the cruise wont work, or either I dont know how to use it. I was worried it would die on me after 200 miles, but nope, she purred right on through. Amazing!! I though to myself, I bet my 05 Deville wont even exist in 40 yrs, but this baby not only exists, but it runs, and runs good!!! Now to the questions, where can I go for parts. I know that theres a company called Year One that has resto parts for novas, camaros, and the like. But is there a classic Caddy store? I am not interested in Hemmings motor news, or swap meets, I was hoping for an actual parts store. An older guy at work told me today "Son... that aint no 67 Camaro, its a 67 Caddy, and because it isnt as sought after as a camaro, chevelle, or mustang, you can forget about parts." I hope he isnt right....lol Anways, just letting you guys know about the new Caddy.

Hooligan63
06-30-09, 10:38 AM
eBay and Craigslist are always a good start.Rock Auto,and google searching '67 Cadillac parts or 1967 Cadillac parts always works.

maloCoupe
06-30-09, 10:45 AM
Congrats on the new addition. And let me know if you find that store.

I like swap meets and the above mentioned.

csbuckn
06-30-09, 10:56 AM
A good thing to do, if you have the room, is get another parts car around the same year.

jayoldschool
06-30-09, 11:38 AM
Check rockauto.com

You will be suprised how many parts are available for old cars...

cadillac_al
06-30-09, 09:43 PM
I'm surprised it runs so good after sitting for 15 years. It must be a dry climate in KS. $1500 sounds cheap to me for a classic Caddy that you can drive away. Enjoy.

05devilledave
07-01-09, 06:36 AM
Well, I got it at that price as a combination of two things, the guy wanted it out of his barn, and it has a rusted trunk pan. The only serious rust on the car is the trunk pan. My wife's cousin is a master body tech at Autocrafter collision here in Wichita, KS, and he says it can be repaired with new sheet metal and he can do it on free time for me. I think also that the price was so low because right now in my local area, anything that even has the slightest hint of gas guzzler goes for rock bottom prices. Other than that, its a great car. I can see that I am going to enjoy it thoroughly. I have a couple questions. This FWB has the air ride leveling system, but the compressor seems to be gone, I think it hung from the rod that goes across the engine bay. Until I can get a new one, is there a way to fill it with air from my home air compressor, just to get it to sit higher? Also, I tried the cruise control, I set the dial and flipped the switch to auto, and the green cruise light comes on as long as I hold the switch down, but goes off as soon as I let go. It also refuses to set the cruise, is this a bad cruise control unit? Thanks guys. By the way, the guy drained the entire fuel system before storing the caddy, and rebuilt the carb before selling it. Thus I was able to fill it and go.

75sled
07-01-09, 08:59 AM
In the cruise control there are several contact points. Most likely if you clean them up it will be ok. Be careful not to short anything out....like i did.

77CDV
07-01-09, 06:25 PM
Step one is to buy the factory service manual (readily available on ebay). This will make diagnosing and fixing problems worlds easier. As to the rear shocks, you can always convert them to direct fill, just attach the air hoses to a standard tire valve stem. Then, it's just like filling a tire. Or, you can convert to standard shocks for now and wait to rebuild the system to stock later. The '67 FWB is a fabulous car, and one of only two years with the lighted fold down tray tables in the rear seat.

Congrats on your new Fleetwood. Post pics (interior and exterior!) soon.

05devilledave
07-01-09, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys, I will check out the cruise contacts this weekend. And yes, it has the folding tray tables and foot rests. I am very happy with this car guys, it seems to be kind of rare, not many around. Thanks again

GenrlRodes
07-02-09, 12:51 AM
I love those fold down trays. Wanted a 66 Brougham.....but.....settled on a 65 until one comes along. Can't wait to see pictures of this awesome sounding land yacht. I love cruising in my 65 Fleetwood.

Stingroo
07-02-09, 01:12 AM
I agree. Some pics are in order!

:postpics:
^ Though, not entirely. :o

codewize
07-02-09, 09:00 AM
Maybe you guys don't know about Vintage Parts? These guys buy all the discontinued parts from the dealers and manufacturers. This my fist stop when I'm looking form something discontinued.

The best way to search here is to know the part number. I usually look up the part number on Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/)or GM Parts Direct (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/multiSearch.cfm)and now I've discovered New GM Parts.com (http://www.newgmparts.com/)

Here is Vintage Parts. The site is very simple and they don't do anything by phone but they do have parts.
https://www.vpartsinc.com/login.php?osCsid=23a4c9a4b5a966968e095c817e7a49a7

Congrats on the car, I'd love to own one of them.

05devilledave
07-02-09, 05:02 PM
I will get some pictures this weekend and post them for you guys. I was wondering how to take the instrument cluster out, I want to check on the cruise control dial and see if the contacts are dirty, So I took the top 3-4 screws out of the dash bezel and I cant seem to get the cluster bezel out. Rather than end up cracking the metal trying to pry it, I decided to be patient and post a question on here. I have the Caddy in my shop, well its an old farm type shop, but as I was going to work yesterday in my newer Caddy, I saw the 67 and thought "Damn, that sucker is as wide as an entire street lane." LOL

GenrlRodes
07-03-09, 12:58 AM
Seeing one for sale in a car booklet in my early teens, I showed it to my grandpa and said that is what I want.... His reply was...man that is long as a three week pay!. How right he was. I only wish he could have lived to give him a ride in my 65.

05devilledave
07-03-09, 01:32 AM
Heres a couple pics of "Brutus", my 67 FWB. I will take more this weekend. These are pics right after the sale near a gas station.
If this one turns out like the last 3 cars ive brought back from near death, it should turn out really nice. I cant wait until I can start worrying about driving it, and not getting it up to snuff.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=818&pictureid=4216,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=818&pictureid=4215,

GenrlRodes
07-03-09, 01:53 AM
This looks like one I was checking out on Craigslist. Blue with a removed vinyl top. I see that someone added the side rub moulding, which weren't on a Fleetwood. Are you planning an orignal style resto or what?

05devilledave
07-03-09, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I used craigslist to find this thing. I didnt think that the side molding looked factory. If its just on by adhesive, I may just take it off. I am not going to do a show room restoration or anything like that. Atleast not yet. I just want it looking good, and all the bits in pieces, and gadgets in working order. I will have the trunk repaired, and check into a new vinyl top at this place called Morgan Bulleigh in Wichita, KS. If everything doesnt match its original appearance, I am not going to get bent out of shape. I am just going to enjoy this beast and enjoy turning heads as I go by. On the way home, even in its state of neglect, it was still turning heads like crazy. I couldnt believe it.

GenrlRodes
07-03-09, 03:38 AM
That is the way I like them. Drivable and enjoyable. Nice to take to a small town show, but not a trailer queen that some cars are. Nothing wrong with that, they are awesome to look at, but they are not for me personally. I have some issues with mine. A/C being the biggest issue. Some of the rubber around the windows needs attention and right now I am looking at a carb rebuild. They are attention getters.... awesome car man!

77CDV
07-03-09, 05:38 PM
Looks like a loaded example that should clean up very well! Keep us posted on your progress.

cadillac_al
07-04-09, 11:34 AM
I know color is a personal choice but that color doesn't do it for me. I hope you choose something else. I also hate vinyl tops so if it were mine I would paint the roof either a matching or contrasting color. I rip the vinyl tops off everything I buy unless it is super mint. I always loved the old 67's; the one I fell in love with was dark green with black top and black interior; first class ride.

Stingroo
07-04-09, 11:50 AM
I know color is a personal choice but that color doesn't do it for me. I hope you choose something else. I also hate vinyl tops so if it were mine I would paint the roof either a matching or contrasting color. I rip the vinyl tops off everything I buy unless it is super mint. I always loved the old 67's; the one I fell in love with was dark green with black top and black interior; first class ride.

The color isn't bad, but I would probably echo your sentiment on the vinyl top, since Florida heat destroys them.

Keep us posted with pics! That's going to be a sweet ride.

05devilledave
07-04-09, 01:42 PM
One of my friends said I should sand the top smooth and put line-x truck coating on it. He says it would have a textured vinyl look, but not crack. I dunno about that, but I agree that putting a bunch of money into a new vinyl top, only to have it crack out and go to hell, is kinda a waste. I could put that money into a paint job. I personally like the color. I think its called Capri Aqua or something. If I cant get that color, Id go for good old baby blue. The more I work on this old Caddy, the more I fall in love with it. I have never had a car this old before. They sure dont make em like that anymore. My friend told me "Dave, youd be hard pressed to find anything on that car that says.... Made in China....." He is probably right. 90% Metal, 100% American

cadillac_al
07-04-09, 05:48 PM
There is just something classy about those old Caddy's. My friend had a 67 in high school. Everything I touched in that black interior felt like quality. I have loved Cadillac quality ever since then. I don't have a problem with a shiny black top. I think a green car (classic car) looks great with a shiny black top. Since you are keeping the aqua color I think a white top would look nice on it. It's all personal preference so enjoy the car the way you like it.

jayoldschool
07-04-09, 08:38 PM
sand the top smooth and put line-x truck
coating on it

Please... no.

77CDV
07-05-09, 03:14 AM
A Fleetwood Brougham without a vinyl top is just a Sixty Special. The top is a defining feature of the whole Brougham package!

Stingroo
07-05-09, 03:24 AM
I second the huge NO to the truck lining idea.

If it sounds like it would look botched: chances are, it will.

A white top would look excellent with that color combo. Or paint the roof white, to avoid the vinyl top crackage.

05devilledave
07-05-09, 10:41 AM
White sounds like a good idea. And you guys dont need to worry. Id shoot myself before bagging it, or lowering it and doing the gangsta pimp B.S. There aint no way in hell I am pimping this ride. :tisk: I love that Cadillac ride, and scraping the frame across railroad tracks isnt what the GM engineers had in mind on this baby.

brougham
07-05-09, 07:28 PM
You can still get a lot of parts from parts stores for them. Check around. I saw one of those ones today driving around but it was white.