: "Induction Performance Service"?

Leadergrass
07-19-04, 05:45 PM
My 98 STS just hit 100k km (60k miles). The Caddy dealer gave me a maintenance estimate that includes "Induction Performance Service" for $140 cdn. The advisor explained that this is to clean the carbon out of "the bottom end; piston rings, cylinder walls, etc.".
Anyone know if the dealer does something specific (like using the specialized tool for the throttle body) or is this just an overpriced service that I can do with a can of something? Thx again.

JimD
07-19-04, 06:44 PM
Forget it. There "will be" a crud buildup around the throttle valve and the inside of the throttle body that you can remove with a spray of GUM-OUT and a toothbrush. And it will return after a few miles. If your throttle is NOT sticking at off-idle I would not mess with it.

Any buildup inside the combustion chamber is easily removed with regular bursts of wide open throttle. Repeat until you no longer see a cloud of brown pollution in the mirror.

Can't imagine what they are claiming for the bottom end that an oil change would not accomplish.

BeelzeBob
07-20-04, 01:22 AM
Save your money..... A few WOT accels will accomplish all you need in the way of combustion chamber cleaning and a few sqiurts of Gumout and an old toothbrush will take care of the throttle body bore and throttle plate if it should feel sticky every. The rest is fluff for the dealer.

Leadergrass
07-20-04, 11:00 AM
Gentlemen;

For the great advice, I thank you again... from the bottom of my wallet.