: Live from Summit Point... V3 Day

jvp
06-29-09, 10:25 AM
Hey folks -

I'm hiding in the shade here in the paddock, after my first session on the track with the V2. It was a fun session, and my instructor (EVERYONE gets one today...) soloed me already.

This car handles very well... for what it is. Having "grown up" at the track in Corvettes, this definitely can't compare. Turn-INS require a bit more planning than my Z06 did. But I expected that. I also managed to overheat te diff about half way through the session. If that keeps happening throughout the day, I may call it and head home. This car desparately needs a diff cooler...

More later, including videos.

jas

jvp
06-29-09, 11:38 AM
Hey again -

The second red run group (which I'm in) session didn't go so well. After a few laps, we were black flagged because a Corvette was off in turn 3. After they recovered him, we went back out. I got 2 or 3 laps in, and my diff warning came on again. So I parked it for the day.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the excitement. Right as they brought the checker out, a nasty accident happened at turn 10. I don't know all the details, but a silver V went off, into the gravel trap, and rolled. It end up on its roof, wedged against a berm. Another V, black, also ended up in the same trap, with its entire passenger side squished. Fortunately, everyone is OK.

More later...

jas

PSRmark
06-29-09, 12:10 PM
Hey Jas,

Glad you had fun on the first run...sorry to hear about the second run.

It's funny you mention the rear diff cooler, I just got done drawing up my mounting locations for the one im doing in house...it should be out soon...the only down side is that im not sure there will be enough ground clearance for the optional fan. I'll keep you in the loop if you are interested in testing one out on the track for us.

neuronbob
06-29-09, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the posts, jvp. I wish I'd been able to go, but I had another important commitment today that I simply couldn't miss. I'll try next year.

RightTurn
06-29-09, 01:05 PM
:yeah: Can't wait for the pics/vids.

rocketeer
06-29-09, 01:22 PM
Here I am at WORK reading about this when I should have been there. I had to come in today and flush the $ down the drain. Oh well, there is always next time, maybe October huh Luke

thebigjimsho
06-29-09, 01:37 PM
Here I am at WORK reading about this when I should have been there. I had to come in today and flush the $ down the drain. Oh well, there is always next time, maybe October huh Luke
You're not the only one who paid and couldn't make it...

jvp
06-29-09, 02:06 PM
Mark -

I'll keep you in the loop if you are interested in testing one out on the track for us.

Color me interested. Keep me in the loop...

jas

The Tony Show
06-29-09, 02:30 PM
Hey again -

The second red run group (which I'm in) session didn't go so well. After a few laps, we were black flagged because a Corvette was off in turn 3. After they recovered him, we went back out.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the excitement. Right as they brought the checker out, a nasty accident happened at turn 10. I don't know all the details, but a silver V went off, into the gravel trap, and rolled. It end up on its roof, wedged against a berm. Another V, black, also ended up in the same trap, with its entire passenger side squished. Fortunately, everyone is OK.

More later...

jas

Were the two Vs that wrecked 09s or earlier ones? Glad to hear everyone's okay, but yeesh...

jvp
06-29-09, 02:30 PM

OK, some more info on this crash. Apparently the black V was going around 10 just fine. The silver V apparently lost his brakes into 10, T-boned the black one, and they both went off. The silver V then rolled due to his entry speed into te gravel trap.

Bleah.

has

jvp
06-29-09, 02:33 PM
Were the two Vs that wrecked 09s or earlier ones?

First gen Vs... sorry I didn't clarify.

jas

RightTurn
06-29-09, 03:53 PM
What a bummer. :(

Nutz
06-29-09, 05:54 PM
:eek:

Kmajecki
06-29-09, 06:53 PM
Man that sucks! So what happens in terms of insurance? Really sucks for the Black V...

SkullV
06-29-09, 06:58 PM
Man that sucks! So what happens in terms of insurance? Really sucks for the Black V...

I don't know how Luke is running it, but when Mark and MVP ran V-day and all of their track days, it is up to the 2 (or more) parties in the accident to deal with all damages.

Kmajecki
06-29-09, 07:06 PM
Sun-ova! Who posted this?! Man i'd love to ride in that!

rLoDlprYJ-8

jvp
06-29-09, 07:44 PM
Man that sucks! So what happens in terms of insurance?

It's up to each individual to figure it out, deal with insurance/repairs/blame/etc. The problem is, this is a private road (race track). Without an official police report, it becomes very difficult to assign blame.

My suspicion is, each individual is going to be stuck paying for the repair of their own vehicles. The silver one is easy: it's totaled. But the black one looked repairable.

jas

jvp
06-29-09, 07:45 PM
Man i'd love to ride in that!

I did score a single lap with Andy. It was a complete blast. A power-to-weight ratio similar to a stock Z06, and driven by a consummate professional. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

jas

jvp
06-29-09, 09:57 PM
Hey folks -

OK, I hope everyone could pardon my bad spelling and typing with the first few posts in the thread. I was surfing the Caddy forums with my iPhone, live from the Point. And AT&T's coverage there just sucks.

Anyway, I'm home. It was a fun day (because I wasn't at work) to be at the track, but personally a little disappointing as far as the V2 is concerned. Keep in mind: I'm not used to driving a 4200 lb pig on the track, nor one shod with street tires. I'll start with the complaints:

1. The car pushed like a pig. Through the carrousel and turn 9, my left front tire would HOOOOWWWWL like a banshee and the car would just push. I just couldn't find the right tire pressure setup for the PS2s. But I think pressure changing would have helped only so much. The car just isn't as responsive as I'd hoped it would be. I'll mostly blame the tires for this, but part of it is just pure mass.

2. I kept nailing the rev limiter. Dammit. :-)

3. And finally, what ended my day was the differential overheating. The warning came on right at the end of the first session (I noticed it as I was pitting in). It came on right as we got black-flagged in the second session. And again, when we went out after the black flag. I decided to park the car for the day. We need a diff cooler if we're going to be raising hell on a race track.

And now for the good stuff.

1. Recaros! What a great job they did holding me secure in place. I didn't have to brace myself or lean against anything. They're absolutely wonderful on the track.

2. Handling other than the pushing: for a 4200lb pig, it does an excellent job of cutting up pavement. GM did a great job making the car seem a lot lighter than it really is.

3. BRAKES!! I love 'em. They never once let me down and never once felt like they were even weakening or fading in the least. Brembo: good!

I sat out most of the rest of the day, save for putting my name on the list to get a ride with Andy. He was doing 1-lap rides in the racing V. If he hit traffic while he was out there... you got another lap. Near the end of the day, my name finally came up, and I hopped in the car with him. YAAAHOOOOOO! He's one hell of a driver. That was so much fun.

My Mac is currently working all 8 of its CPUs at 100%, processing the 2 in-car videos I have. It'll finish working on them sometime this evening while I'm asleep. I'll upload them tomorrow morning once I get to work. Watch this thread for the links.

jas

thebigjimsho
06-30-09, 12:43 AM
Is everyone OK? I heard the driver of the silver V may have had a broken collarbone and concussion...

Jon
06-30-09, 03:07 AM
Oh man... I hope everyone is ok.

ewill3rd
06-30-09, 08:23 AM
I'd also like to ask a mod or the OP to remove those photos.
Keep them for yourself, show your friends at home but don't post them on the web.
That car belonged to someone I know and if he didn't specifically give you permission to post them then please remove them.
It turns what is supposed to be a day of fun into a freak show when you do that and it really takes away from the event.
I know it is exciting but if it becomes a spectacle guess how many more we will be able to have?

jvp
06-30-09, 08:38 AM
Good morning folks -

Some administrivia: can one of the moderators please nuke the post with the photos in it? Until the drivers of each car get their misfortunes straightened out, I'd rather not have those photos peppering my thread, please.

And now for the videos. The links will be with each session description. I kindly ask that, if you want to watch the videos, right-click on them and "Save As". Save them locally on your computer, and then watch them as many times as you like locally. Please don't keep downloading them, as I get charged per bit transferred. (And if it gets out of control, I'll just take the down. :-))

Sign-In and Tech
Things got off to a start in the morning with sign-in and the tech inspection. We were supposed to get our cars teched first, then we could sign in and get our numbers, class designators, and our instructor assignment.

The tech inspection was, in my opinion, way too fast and loose. They really did little more than check the lug torques. And they were perplexed when I told them the second gen V's needed 158ft-lbs. The fella checking mine didn't believe me at first, and needed to get another torque wrench to go that high.

Also, the tech inspection was a very serial process. They had one guy looking over the car (checking for loose objects in the cabin, etc), while the other guy checked lugs. One car at a time. This took... a while. Potentially some room for optimization here...

Instructors
As I said previously, we were ALL assigned instructors. This was done because previous events had a few too many mishaps for the head instructor's liking. She decided everyone gets an instructor, and if the instructor wants to solo their student, it's entirely up to them. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but, what the hell. It's a new car for me, so perhaps getting a little help from someone else would be a good thing.

Classroom
Miriam, the same chief instructor I've known for over a decade at Summit Point, was chief again during the event. She gave a quick run-down on the rules and regulations, where passing would be allowed, what was required for passing (point-bys), etc. The interesting thing was that the advanced group had the whole track they could pass on. I found that a bit unnerving, and full of potential mishaps.

Session 1
My instructor and I set off first out of the pits, and he wanted me to keep it slow at first to get used to the car on the track. I had no intentions of doing otherwise, specially since I wasn't used to driving on the track with street tires. So, I kept it fairly slow at first, and kept working up the speed more and more. He didn't particularly like how unsmooth I was with the brake pedal. I tried to explain to him that I had all of an inch or so of pedal travel, and that modulating them was a bit tricky. But he wasn't buying it.

The last few laps of the session, he had me purposely drive off-line around all of the corners, to make sure I could do it. I didn't like it at all, and especially didn't like it because I was trying to learn how my new car felt on the proper line. But, I did what he asked (until he wanted me to do something stupid in the chute, which I wasn't playing along with).

At the end of the session, he gave me my solo sticker and sent me on my way. He suggested I play with my tire pressures, because he felt the tires may be tad under-inflated. I had let a few pounds out of each tire before we started, because I was worried about overheating and tire inflation. So I added 2PSI back to each. I also noticed on my way into the pits that the diff warning had come on. Grr. The session is here. (http://vids.lateapex.net/v3-062909-session1.mp4)

Session 2
This was the exciting one. I shot out of the pits and began working up to my comfort speed fairly quickly. You may or may not hear me laughing at myself as I come out of turn 2 and bounce off the rev limiter a few times. :-) I'm used to having 7000RPMs to play with on the 2-3 straight. Whoops.

The car was biting a little better with the extra air in the tires, but it was still plowing like a pig. Some more work will need to be done with tire pressures, I suspect.

Part of the way through the session, we came upon a Corvette off in turn 3. They black-flagged us so they could pull the car out. I pitted in behind an M3 and just sat and waited. And waited... Finally, they started the session back up by letting Pilgrim out first in one of his joy-rides. The M3 took off with me right behind him. He didn't even wait till he got out of the pits before giving me a point-by. :-)

But my joy was short-lived. After a lap or two, the "diff overheating" warning popped up on the DIC again, and I decided to park the car for the day. Shortly after I pitted in, the aforementioned "event" happened. Session 2 is here. (http://vids.lateapex.net/v3-062909-session2.mp4)

Summary
It was a good day (hey, I wasn't at work!) even if I didn't get to drive much. I do think that things can be improved by the sponsors of the V days. Better safety, better driver screening, and MUCH better tech inspections should be required. We had waaaay too many off-track excursions during the day. By people in Cadillacs as well as people in other makes and models. I'm not sure what the answer is to all of that, but hopefully they figure it out.

jas

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 10:21 AM
So jvp, have you installed a diff cooler yet?

I've got to decide if I want to spend some cash on wheels, tires and pads AND THEN pay for a diff cooler if I want to track the V2.

Or just spend the money to get the V1 back on the road...