: Oil Pressure Drop

qpedd
07-19-04, 03:56 PM
I have a 4.0 Northstar on my 2001 oldsmobile Aurora. I hope None Cadillac guys can get some love on this forum too. After I run the engine on the highway for a while and then stop behind a redlight, Oil pressure drops bellow 5 psi and oil light comes up. After reving it up a few times, it stays around 7 psi and light stays off. I use mobile 1 synthetic oil and oil level is between the marks. As you might have guessed by now, I am cluless about engines. Is this something I should worry about? is there something I can do? is it sensor? is it plugged in holes that does not let oil get back to pan fast enough?.......? any input would be greatly appreciated. :bighead: :bighead:

BeelzeBob
07-20-04, 12:17 AM
I have a 4.0 Northstar on my 2001 oldsmobile Aurora. I hope None Cadillac guys can get some love on this forum too. After I run the engine on the highway for a while and then stop behind a redlight, Oil pressure drops bellow 5 psi and oil light comes up. After reving it up a few times, it stays around 7 psi and light stays off. I use mobile 1 synthetic oil and oil level is between the marks. As you might have guessed by now, I am cluless about engines. Is this something I should worry about? is there something I can do? is it sensor? is it plugged in holes that does not let oil get back to pan fast enough?.......? any input would be greatly appreciated. :bighead: :bighead:

I would seriously doubt that there is any problem with the engine. It is most likely the oil pressure sending unit that sends the electronic signal to the gauge. Replace the oil pressure sending unit. Northstars have only an oil pressure switch but the Aurora engines had an actual oil pressure sending unit that sends a varying voltage signal based on oil pressure. The sending unit for the oil pressure is on the oil filter adapter justa above the oil filter. Get the OEM replacement part for the oil pressure sending unit and replace it by unplugging the wiring connector, unscrewing the sensor, etc....