: (Competitive driving only) Anyone change brake fluid yet?

SlvrBullIT
06-29-09, 06:56 AM
Per page 4-13

Recommended changing drake fluid to to dry point greater than 534 F (279 C)

Do not use DOT 5

Wondering if any on you ballers out there doing the circuits done this yet? :yup:

Silver -V-
06-29-09, 11:20 AM
I changed out to Motul 660 dot 4 fluid for track days. I have had no issues yet, but I have a two day scheduled for next week. In Texas at triple digits on a track with a 2000' straight and known as a horsepower track (www.eaglescanyon.com), We will see how well the brake fluid and new Hawk brake pads hold up.

stealthjr
06-29-09, 05:07 PM
I'll agree with Silver -V-. I have raced many a sessions using Motul 600 and 660. You will not be disappointed in the quality of this product for the price! No issues if you use it on your daily driver either. I'm a member of Motorsports Ranch in cresson, TX. and I typically drive my Vette to and from.

Purge out the factory fluid, fill it with Motul and go! :highfive:

See ya!

Robert

jvp
06-29-09, 07:46 PM
Another vote for Motul 600.

jas

SlvrBullIT
06-30-09, 01:17 AM
How much brake fluid id needed for complete change out?

nradcad
11-03-09, 12:59 PM
Is there a DIY posted anywhere on changing the fluid out? How much fluid does a full system hold? Why aren't all DOT4 fluids created equal? What are some issues with other DOT4s? I'm gonna change out my fluid to probably MOTUL 600, but I'd like to know what the good alternatives are and if anyone has used them.

nradcad
11-03-09, 05:23 PM
Ok, let's start simpler. How much brake fluid does the V2 system hold?

Silver -V-
11-03-09, 06:25 PM
There are several ways to change out your fluid -

1) the old fashioned way of filling the reservoir with the new fluid, having a partner depress the pedal to pump the brakes, and opening the bleeder valve (see the great write up on the CTSV FAQ - http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html)

2) use a power flush system such as this - http://www.motiveproducts.com/

3) use a good service guy.

To flush my system, I used 2 pints to completely clear out the old fluid, and bought a third to use as a back up and later flushing. Your shop manual should have all capacities including brake reservoir.

As for other fluids - I have always had great luck with Castrol SRF which is expensive. I am now using Motul 660, and the 600 is also quite good. I have also heard that the new Brembo fluid is good in our systems as well.

nradcad
11-03-09, 11:46 PM
What are the differences really? Why would one DOT4 fluid be better than the other? Also, why the heck does the V only come with DOT3 to begin with. I mean come on, the Pontiac G8 GT comes with DOT4 stock.

Silver -V-
11-04-09, 10:52 AM
The differences? - Wet and dry boiling points. Some fluids have higher tolerences than others. When you are running a 2000' straight at over 130 mph, and have to turn hard into a 90* left hand turn at less than 30 mph, you hope you have a good braking system. The stock fluid works well, but when you are hitting that left hand turn for the 10th time in the last 20 minutes, and have 12 other hard corners added into each lap of your track session, you want insurance that the fluid won't boil or allow water in. That is why track day guys change the fluid. For repeated hard sessions in 100+ degree days put in something with higher stress tolerances.

For the everyday driver, the stock dot 3 works fine. Cadillac and Brembo built the best braking system on a 4 door luxury car I have ever driven. This includes BMW, MBZ, Audi and many sports cars. There is no reason to complain about the brakes as they come stock. I just appreciate a little extra insurance for my track addiction. As for the G8 brakes - I'll take the V's brakes with dot 3 every time if I had a choice.

nradcad
11-04-09, 11:15 AM
The differences? - Wet and dry boiling points. Some fluids have higher tolerences than others. When you are running a 2000' straight at over 130 mph, and have to turn hard into a 90* left hand turn at less than 30 mph, you hope you have a good braking system. The stock fluid works well, but when you are hitting that left hand turn for the 10th time in the last 20 minutes, and have 12 other hard corners added into each lap of your track session, you want insurance that the fluid won't boil or allow water in. That is why track day guys change the fluid. For repeated hard sessions in 100+ degree days put in something with higher stress tolerances.

For the everyday driver, the stock dot 3 works fine. Cadillac and Brembo built the best braking system on a 4 door luxury car I have ever driven. This includes BMW, MBZ, Audi and many sports cars. There is no reason to complain about the brakes as they come stock. I just appreciate a little extra insurance for my track addiction. As for the G8 brakes - I'll take the V's brakes with dot 3 every time if I had a choice.

I guess all I'm saying is it would seem a likely and logical extension to the the "best braking system on a 4 door luxury car I have ever driven" to include a DOT4 fluid. That's all I'm getting at. I'm just can't imagine what the trade study bullets were that spit out DOT3 fluid is the right answer. Who knows, I think the Z06 comes with DOT3 as well.

nynd
11-04-09, 12:00 PM
It probably comes down to cost for the plant. They would need to tanks DOT 3 (for regular CTS) and DOT 4 (for the V) and seeing as most won't track the car, they probably opted to leave it as is. My guess anyways.

cjwolverine
11-04-09, 10:33 PM
I'm not speaking from much experience (only 1 track day) but I'll pass on what the V designers, engineers and techs recommended before my day at Monticello. They told me to get ATE Super Blue dot 4. It was a pain in the butt to find. It's readily available on the internet, but I needed it ASAP and it was hard to find at a retail shop and more expensive. If you have time, get it on the internet. I'm sure the others were fine, but I bought 2 quarts and had the dealer completely bleed, flush and fill. They said a "typical" flush only gets about 80% of the old stuff out. I'm not exactly sure of the process, but they spent a little extra time and effort to get all of the old stuff out.

nradcad
11-05-09, 08:33 AM
I'm not speaking from much experience (only 1 track day) but I'll pass on what the V designers, engineers and techs recommended before my day at Monticello. They told me to get ATE Super Blue dot 4. It was a pain in the butt to find. It's readily available on the internet, but I needed it ASAP and it was hard to find at a retail shop and more expensive. If you have time, get it on the internet. I'm sure the others were fine, but I bought 2 quarts and had the dealer completely bleed, flush and fill. They said a "typical" flush only gets about 80% of the old stuff out. I'm not exactly sure of the process, but they spent a little extra time and effort to get all of the old stuff out.

Thanks. btw, it was nice reading about your experience at the CTS-V challenge. Once in a lifetime man.....

cjwolverine
11-07-09, 12:09 AM
It was a ball, thanks. I am still surfing through sites so far and wide and finding info on it. The "free" advertising was amazing. I overheard Bob say something to the effect of this event cost less than a single 30 second commercial and they are getting weeks worth of mileage out of it and really targeting the people who care on sites where people actually go to research and eventually buy cars. Brilliant move.