: AWD to RWD

TimmyC
06-28-09, 11:41 PM
My STS is AWD and it gets terrible mileage. Can I remove the front prop shaft for the summer and turn it into RWD? I think it might damage the center differential so I have not tried it. I keep hearing about people converting their Gallardos to RWD but I don't know how those systems are configured or if they are similar to the STS. Has anyone done this or have any info?

mbnv992
06-28-09, 11:44 PM
I would personally just leave it AWD. There is way too many things to break on these newer cars then I could handle. Definitely not worth in IMO.

next2pool
06-29-09, 12:00 AM
My STS is AWD and it gets terrible mileage. Can I remove the front prop shaft for the summer and turn it into RWD? I think it might damage the center differential so I have not tried it. I keep hearing about people converting their Gallardos to RWD but I don't know how those systems are configured or if they are similar to the STS. Has anyone done this or have any info?

Anything is possible, but this truly would be very very difficult.

TimmyC
06-29-09, 12:25 AM
Removing the prop shaft would be exceedingly easy. The increase in mileage and fun factor would be well worth the hour of work. Surely someone else has considered this and or done it.

20mpg on the highway blows. Lamborghini Gallardos are rated at exactly the same mileage as my V8 STS4. How is that possible with the Lambo has 230 more hp and is also awd. I'm sure it's more aerodynamic and a couple hundred pounds lighter but 230 more hp?

edit: I'd probably need to remove the front axles along with the propshaft to realize max mpg gain. More work but probably still worth it if no damage to the t-case/center diff.

dkozloski
06-29-09, 01:19 AM
If you remove the front driveshaft the car won't move. The center differential is open so it will just spin the front driveshaft flange at twice normal speed. If you're getting bad gas milage either you're doing something wrong or the car needs some work. Maybe you need to keep your foot out of the throttle body. I get 22MPG+ at highway speeds and 16-18 MPG in town with my AWD '06 STS.

TimmyC
06-29-09, 10:49 AM
If you remove the front driveshaft the car won't move. The center differential is open so it will just spin the front driveshaft flange at twice normal speed. If you're getting bad gas milage either you're doing something wrong or the car needs some work. Maybe you need to keep your foot out of the throttle body. I get 22MPG+ at highway speeds and 16-18 MPG in town with my AWD '06 STS.

I'm not sure that it's completely open because the literature says torque is split 60/40 to the rear. I do think that it would be damaged/burned up, or the car wouldn't move if I removed the propshaft.

I'll just have to deal with the crappy mileage. There is nothing wrong with the car.

next2pool
06-29-09, 12:01 PM
You can vary the torque split with the gearing in the diff. It is open however so there is no easy way to disconnect the front unless you weld up the center diff and remove the rest of the parts--not fun.

c5 rv
06-29-09, 12:37 PM
If you try this, be sure to post lots of pics and details. We need more entertainment.

TimmyC
06-29-09, 07:10 PM
You can vary the torque split with the gearing in the diff. It is open however so there is no easy way to disconnect the front unless you weld up the center diff and remove the rest of the parts--not fun.

It looks like I'd have to get a new tailhousing for the transmission along with a new rear driveshaft, then remove the prop and front driveshafts. Parts costs would kill my fuel savings. Bummer.