: Love For Cadillac's Coming To An End!!

themadwacker1
06-28-09, 09:10 PM
Well folks I Think I am at the end of my rope with my collection of Cadillacís. It seems no matter how much money or time I put in to these cars I can never really enjoy them. I am always working on one or the other, buying new parts, searching in vane at scrap yards allover the country side. I get one thing fixed & sure enough another bug comes out. I have a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-SEL with 1,338,800km's on it. It has NEVER had the brake downs or bugs that I have with all my other GM's. It seems that my MB is always there for me. Since I have had this car I have put about 30,000km's on it & only had to put in gas, oil change's, front pads & a starter... thatís it. I really do love Cadillacís & all the history that go's along with them but I really just canít keep up with all their needs any more. I think I will just keep my 1993 FWB & just get what I can for the rest. Still not sure about all this....its hard to give up something that you work so hard for but sometimes its for the best. I will keep all of you posted.:(:(:(

orconn
06-29-09, 01:33 AM
Sounds like you have good luck with high mileage Mercedes, I'd stick with them if I were you!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-29-09, 02:53 AM
4.1L engine is your problem. Dump the mid 80's Caddies and get something that doesn't have the worst engine Cadillac ever made.

ryannel2003
06-29-09, 03:10 AM
^Yeah that. But don't move to a Northstar either, unless you're prepared to spend $$$ too. I'd stick with the 4.5 or 4.9 V8 in FWD applications. With the Brougham's you're in luck because from what I've read, they have really reliable motors.

Love my Northstar, but I don't love my repair costs for simple crap either.

themadwacker1
06-29-09, 04:04 AM
4.1L engine is your problem. Dump the mid 80's Caddies and get something that doesn't have the worst engine Cadillac ever made.
My 86 Deville no longer has a 4.1 I replaced it last year with a rebuilt 4.5 & the 85 4.1 Eldorado's engine has never been a problem. It all the other little things that just seem to NEVER end with these cars: AC problems, vacuum, electric problems in all of these cars, ABS or traction control, pull down motors, water leaks water leaks water leaks, horns, buzzing & rattling, ECM's & PCM's dieing & on & on. None of these problems has anything to do with what engine is under the hood. My 1993 FWB is the only one that is not plagued with problems. I have had 3 93 FWB & all were great. I can help but wonder if itís because their more Chevy than Cadillac!:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

themadwacker1
06-29-09, 04:08 AM
Sounds like you have good luck with high mileage Mercedes, I'd stick with them if I were you!
Has nothing to do with luck....Mercedes-Benz's are clearly just better built cars.:suspect:

c5 rv
06-29-09, 12:48 PM
Has nothing to do with luck....Mercedes-Benz's are clearly just better built cars.:suspect:

Probably true in the 80s and early 90s. I know an independent MB mechanic and he swears by MBs from that vintage. He doesn't care for the reliability of more modern MBs, but does appreciate the added business they bring him.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-29-09, 01:46 PM
My 86 Deville no longer has a 4.1 I replaced it last year with a rebuilt 4.5 & the 85 4.1 Eldorado's engine has never been a problem. It all the other little things that just seem to NEVER end with these cars: AC problems, vacuum, electric problems in all of these cars, ABS or traction control, pull down motors, water leaks water leaks water leaks, horns, buzzing & rattling, ECM's & PCM's dieing & on & on. None of these problems has anything to do with what engine is under the hood. My 1993 FWB is the only one that is not plagued with problems. I have had 3 93 FWB & all were great. I can help but wonder if itís because their more Chevy than Cadillac!:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

That is odd, all the little problems. My '88 never had any little problems and it was bastardized by the last owner, just trans and water pump issues. Pick up a late 70's Cadillac and you will have a blast. Reliable as stink in a sewer and they really get you some attention.

themadwacker1
06-29-09, 05:18 PM
Probably true in the 80s and early 90s. I know an independent MB mechanic and he swears by MBs from that vintage. He doesn't care for the reliability of more modern MBs, but does appreciate the added business they bring him.
I have herd this as well about the MB's from the early 90s. I understand that after 93 some of the MB's models were real toilets :histeric::histeric: