: Need the OEM air box for testing

Rob Ketcham
07-19-04, 04:25 PM
I need a OEM air box and am hoping someone has one lying around I can borrow. My V has the More Performance air filter box installed. The MAF is acting up and Cadillac thinks it is because of the K&N. They have a service bulletin that quotes problems with "excessively oiled "aftermarket filters. The baseline dyno run that More did before the box was ever installed indicated the motor was only making 293 rwhp.
In order to convince Cadillac I need to reinstall the OEM air box, which I no longer have.
If one of you has a box lying around I would like to pay the shipping back and forth so that I could convince Cadillac that my MAF needs replacing (or something needs replacing related to the MAF). I am getting poor performance at full throttle and full load which shows up in the diagnostics the dealer has performed. I can also feel the lack of performance when driving and don't wish to be embarrassed by a four banger with a turbo.
Rob

StealthV
07-19-04, 06:44 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but what happened to the stock air box? More Performance take it off and keep it?

Rob Ketcham
07-19-04, 07:55 PM
It just didn't seem important at the time to put the old box in the trunk for the 400 or so miles I was driving. And what was I going to do with it after I got home? Usually those kind of things just go in the attic, gather dust, and eventually get thrown away. Just not a "keeper" I guess; perhaps there is a lesson contained in here somewhere.

StealthV
07-19-04, 08:18 PM
Have you contacted More Perf to see if they still had yours or one they have recently taken off? Perhaps they have one laying on their shelf collecting dust. :)

Rob Ketcham
07-19-04, 10:20 PM
Yes I did that once I learned I needed one, but they can't locate mine or the one they took off their own V. Another option would be to cannibalize one from the dealer's inventory, but I thought I'd ask around the site first.

benjet
07-19-04, 10:34 PM
The MAF is acting up and Cadillac thinks it is because of the K&N. They have a service bulletin that quotes problems with "excessively oiled "aftermarket filters. In order to convince Cadillac I need to reinstall the OEM air box, which I no longer have.
If one of you has a box lying around I would like to pay the shipping back and forth so that I could convince Cadillac that my MAF needs replacing (or something needs replacing related to the MAF).

I apologize for me not being able to help you (as I have the stock box on mine). But I do have a question. What would putting the stock box back on do? If you have damaged the MAF (from the oil) it's not repairable (occasionally cleaning the oil off works but not usually) and needs to be replaced - it will not just revert to functioning properly with the stock airbox. If they saw the K&N filter on there, they do not need to (replace under)waranty the MAF. If you feel the K&N is "fooling" the MAF (nothing to do with oil) by allowing in too much air then I could see the need for a stock airbox, but I can run without any air filter and not get the MAF code (ok I didn't try this for long but the idea is the same). If you ever read the Mustang forums there was a reason they only used the K&N filter as a OEM filter for ONE year - too many MAFs had to be replaced because of the oil, and these were factory installed straight from K&N. You do not need to add oil to over oil a K&N filter.

YMMV
-Ben

Rob Ketcham
07-20-04, 11:38 AM
The reason for needing the stock air box is so Cadillac is satisfied that the K&N is or is not the problem. The MAF is malfunctioning, the dealer testing establishes that everything else is doing what it should. Cadillac points to the K&N and the bulletin about excess oiling. I did not apply any additional oil to the K&N, that would not be wise, and I did learn about such things since I used to run a 5.0 in an old sleeper 240 Volvo wagon and had too much fun running away from Mustangs in it.
It is just about establishing a baseline, and Cadillac wants to start by doing the test over with the stock system. I am happy to be having some dialog on this, but disappointed that so far I haven't heard from anyone with a box I can borrow.
For anyone reading this who might be willing, my e-mail address is rcketcham@goeaston.net.

doc-V
07-20-04, 02:44 PM
hello all
I thought that aftermarket air filters would NOT void your warranty?
I was considering getting the Moreperformance kit, but am now hesitant if the oil will damage the MAF.
Anyone else with a V with this problem that has installed a K+N?
thanks much

jspinetto
07-21-04, 12:56 AM
I still have mine.

PIM me and i'll send it to ya.

Jonathan

Rob Ketcham
07-21-04, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your response, it will really help me out. I am not familiar with PIM, post instant message? The forum protocal won't let me send you an e-mail. My address is 28598 9th Drive, Easton, MD 21601. E-mail is rcketcham@goeaston.net. Whatever is easiest for you, UPS,FedEx, USPostal, and it can be collect or I will just write a check.
Rob

benjet
07-21-04, 11:36 AM
Rob and all,

At least our dialog kept bringing this topic to the top so it finally got noticed, and hopefuly you will get your request! Let us know the outcome, please.

-Ben

Rob Ketcham
07-21-04, 03:51 PM
I will post an update once I get the OEM airbox and the tests are rerun. I've used K&Ns for years, the last one on my LS1 SS. It really opened up my LS1 and gave the 20 or so rwhp to my V after it was installed.
I am trying to just go with the program but what I think I need is a new MAF.
Stay tuned, and thanks to everyone for their commentaries and concern.