: Tracked the V

colbachlaw
06-28-09, 01:00 AM
I just got done with my first track day in the V at Portland International Raceway.

This was my first 4 wheel track day since I sold my 01 Z06 six years ago and got into sport bikes, and my first time with an auto.

PIR is not much of a HP track, as the main straightaway is broken up by a chicane (not as much fun as on a liter bike with no chicane and a 175 mph straightaway).

The V handled the track a lot like the road.

It was very easy to drive, very predictable, with my only gripe being that an auto is not nearly as much fun on the track.

Grip was amazing and if you believe the G meter, I was hitting .99 G's.

The V was incredibly stable and only slid around when I made a real bonehead move or gave it too much throttle.

The suspension was a little soft, even in competition mode, and I definitely noticed the extra 1,000 lbs that my Z did not have.

The brakes were awesome, and had little or no fade- I think I could have got a lot more out of them, but there was a lot of traffic and I was babying them a bit.

If you haven't taken your V out to the track, do. It is a great way to learn the limits in a relatively safe environment.

Now that I got this out of the way, it is time to throw my AR headers on, put on a crank pulley, and run the quarter.

Mike C

marktanner
06-28-09, 02:19 AM
did you use the suspension in Sport mode or Tour?

vperl
06-28-09, 02:27 AM
Which club did you run with at PIR

colbachlaw
06-28-09, 06:34 PM
Suspension was in sport mode and tranny was in sport as well.

The event was sponsored by Team Continental.

Mike C

vperl
06-28-09, 07:04 PM
Suspension was in sport mode and tranny was in sport as well.

The event was sponsored by Team Continental.

Mike C

&&&&&&&&&&&

Amonth ago I went to watch..... met some viper guys three of them..... they knew of the V2 all wanted a lokie loo

but, no..... me no track car

neuronbob
06-28-09, 07:06 PM
^^^^^
Chicken. :D :D :D Try it once, it'll be fun.

vperl
06-28-09, 07:30 PM
^^^^^
Chicken. :D :D :D Try it once, it'll be fun.

me way tooo chicken, yellow and cowardly I drive 55

Problem is I do it in the parking lot and my driveway

chopmeat
06-29-09, 09:53 AM
I don't hear about anybody using the so called "Paddles" and the tiptronic?
I think it's amazing and is better than stick.

jwa999
06-29-09, 11:49 AM
I don't hear about anybody using the so called "Paddles" and the tiptronic?
I think it's amazing and is better than stick.

Your absolutely right. I don't need a stick to be in total control of the car.
Use both the peddles and the shifter.
Also, my new tranny i got after 6k seems to do a better job than the original one. I still can't apply w4m tune (i have 750 miles since), but I now drive in sport mode and it has adapted to my driving style quite nicely. I no longer feel the urge to downshift manually, the tranny is quite responsive now.

Hans.

Seattle CTS-V
06-29-09, 02:23 PM
I just got done with my first track day in the V at Portland International Raceway.

This was my first 4 wheel track day since I sold my 01 Z06 six years ago and got into sport bikes, and my first time with an auto.

PIR is not much of a HP track, as the main straightaway is broken up by a chicane (not as much fun as on a liter bike with no chicane and a 175 mph straightaway).

The V handled the track a lot like the road.

It was very easy to drive, very predictable, with my only gripe being that an auto is not nearly as much fun on the track.

Grip was amazing and if you believe the G meter, I was hitting .99 G's.

The V was incredibly stable and only slid around when I made a real bonehead move or gave it too much throttle.

The suspension was a little soft, even in competition mode, and I definitely noticed the extra 1,000 lbs that my Z did not have.

The brakes were awesome, and had little or no fade- I think I could have got a lot more out of them, but there was a lot of traffic and I was babying them a bit.

If you haven't taken your V out to the track, do. It is a great way to learn the limits in a relatively safe environment.

Now that I got this out of the way, it is time to throw my AR headers on, put on a crank pulley, and run the quarter.

Mike C

What type of cars were you 'competitive' with, or flat-out faster than, on the track?

colbachlaw
06-29-09, 07:46 PM
I didn't use the paddles, as I am a little worried about the reliability of a paddle shifted auto, and I wanted to focus on braking and turn in points.

As far as other cars out there, it was really a matter of how hard I wanted to push the V.

I let a number of slower cars pass me in the straight so I could get some clear track, as it was really, really crowded.

There were 4 groups and I was in the second fastest, but there was nothing too impressive at the track, except for a really cool 69' Camaro and a brand new Zo6. Both were in the fastest class, so I did not run against them.

It is kind of silly, but I think it would have been a lot more fun if I had a different exhaust on my V. My 65' Stingray was very loud and so was my Z, which made them a little more interesting, although probably not as fast.

Mike C

Tony407
03-16-10, 03:21 AM
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm headed to PIR next Sunday on the 21st for the Alpha Romeo Club track day.

Anyone else going?

Tony

Z06ified
03-16-10, 10:48 AM
Good to hear - I'm looking forward to taking my V to the track later this year. I plan to do Monticello and maybe Lime Rock or Pocono with it. I still have my '02 Z06 so I can do back to back comparisons.

I've already pulled 1.00g right and 0.99g left on the street with my V. I expect track g's to be around 1.2g.

blkCTSv
03-17-10, 10:07 AM
I've tracked at Willow Springs "big track", CA and autocrossed in Fontana CA. I've added the D3 springs and brake lines. I just mounted a set of track tires, stock size Pirelli Corsa's. I'll be running the Red Line Time Attack at Buttonwillow, Ca on the 28th - should be interesting going against the light weight FWD and AWD japanese cars.