: GPS Mapping looks good but is not updated

Malibu310
06-27-09, 02:22 PM
In the past few weeks I've discovered that my great looking wiz bang mapping system in the CTS is horribly out of date. Fot the past 5 years I've used a variety of NAV systems taking clients through land developments using the other GPS systems to show locations and street patterns. I have neighborhoods that are over 5 years old that simply do not exist! Also a major highway improvement done 4 years ago here in Minneapolis also does not exist.

My Aston Martin which has to be the worst of all NAV systems at least had the streets updated. The others are all base on the Eclipse (Lexus, Toyota) systems and a Garmin and Tom Tom... all show more updated maps...

Your experiences?

Rick H

GM-4-LIFE
06-27-09, 02:29 PM
How do we update the CTS-V nav system? There is no nav CD.

SG

mik2718
06-27-09, 02:53 PM
How do we update the CTS-V nav system? There is no nav CD.

$199 for a nav update disc from the GM Nav Disc center -- it loads onto the HDD. I don't know how to determine whether the disc they're currently selling is newer than what's already loaded in my V's navigation system.

vperl
06-27-09, 04:07 PM
$199 for a nav update disc from the GM Nav Disc center -- it loads onto the HDD. I don't know how to determine whether the disc they're currently selling is newer than what's already loaded in my V's navigation system.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I could be tottaly wrong, but it seems to me there is a provision that for a period of time after purchase the upgrade NAV maps are free

GM-4-LIFE
06-27-09, 04:49 PM
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I could be tottaly wrong, but it seems to me there is a provision that for a period of time after purchase the upgrade NAV maps are free

Not for the 09s. GM pulled that program. I guess they were losing money.

SG

allklr
06-27-09, 04:56 PM
Anyone know how to find out the version we have, Maybe everyone could post up to see who needs updates.

mik2718
06-27-09, 05:19 PM
My Nav configuration screen, map database information, says:

Application Version

Database Version

vperl
06-27-09, 05:37 PM
Not for the 09s. GM pulled that program. I guess they were losing money.

SG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, someone ought to sign up and see if that is correct.

Any takers

https://www.gmnavdisc.com/subscription.do

free is good price, in my opinion.

use this form to get some answers, I sent mine..

https://www.gmnavdisc.com/contact-us.do

If the news is that it costs 200$ for the disk.....

one person buys and then sells it it the next guy at a discount, pass it around.......

But if GM has no new update...... we may have to wait...

I sent in the inquiry to GM, if everyone else does we may get some action, numbers of inquires will matter

mastequila
06-27-09, 08:57 PM
My Nav configuration screen, map database information, says:

Application Version

Database Version

DITTO for my version.
I've been investigating this and find all sorts of conflicting info. When I input my VIN (< a month old), it says there is an update available. I searched on the part number for that update and it's not even version 2.5
I get the impression the 09 update will come out in the fall, but I have no facts to back that up with. Just been reading dozens of posts on this topic for other GM cars.

mik2718
06-27-09, 10:20 PM
I get the impression the 09 update will come out in the fall

I read, somewhere, that the next nav update will be in Sep, but I have no reason to believe or disbelieve that.

If GM Nav Disc Center changes the disc part number (currently 15226455) they're offering, I figure that will be a clue that a real update has come out.

vperl
06-27-09, 10:37 PM
I read, somewhere, that the next nav update will be in Sep, but I have no reason to believe or disbelieve that.

If GM Nav Disc Center changes the disc part number (currently 15226455) they're offering, I figure that will be a clue that a real update has come out.

Use the links I posted yo send your concerns or questions direct to GM's Navigation department

The link has a " Contact US " form you can fill out

If many fill the form out and send all these inquiries the Nav people may get results

marktanner
06-28-09, 02:39 AM
There have been numerous posts on this topic on the CTS forum. GM used to give free updates for the first few years, but that ended for MY 2008 and later. The latest update came out in the fall, so most V's will have the most current version. Itt appears that GM gets it's database from Mapquest. Some of the same deficiencies in the NAV also appear in Mapquest; the missing/wrong data is annoying, just the same. The update discs are coded for each car, and won't work in any other car.

vperl
06-28-09, 02:46 AM
marktanner: The update discs are coded for each car, and won't work in any other car

88888888888*************************************** *********************

The MPA said the same thing about DVD's in their industry in all sorts of things associated......

copy protection, and the region protection that prevents DVD in europe from working any place else..... that failed

give the disk to a guy with some knowledge and he can crack the GM code...... But that would not be right, but it can easily happen..... just like jail breaking phones, DVD, and all sorts of eletronic things, but that would be wrong.. bad and wrong
and not proper

tbss08
06-28-09, 05:35 PM
There have been people making back up copies of the discs for other model cars. Over on the corvette forum there have been a few who back up their discs. I will say our Nav system is 1000% better than the corvettes.

RWFJR
06-28-09, 05:38 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, someone ought to sign up and see if that is correct.

Any takers

https://www.gmnavdisc.com/subscription.do

free is good price, in my opinion.

use this form to get some answers, I sent mine..

https://www.gmnavdisc.com/contact-us.do

If the news is that it costs 200$ for the disk.....

one person buys and then sells it it the next guy at a discount, pass it around.......

But if GM has no new update...... we may have to wait...

I sent in the inquiry to GM, if everyone else does we may get some action, numbers of inquires will matter

I sent in my request also. I'll be damm if I am going to pay extra for a map up-date when I have only had my V2 for three months.:mad2:

vperl
06-28-09, 05:57 PM
I sent in my request also. I'll be damm if I am going to pay extra for a map up-date when I have only had my V2 for three months.:mad2:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

like your spirit, that is what I'm talking about.....
50 contact forms filled out this weekend so that they get the message, and a continued blast of inquiries.......

Squeaky bitching V2 owners in mass can get them to release the right DVD

tbss08
06-28-09, 06:24 PM
Just sent my request in. I've also contacted Cadillac to request assistance on a less than three month old car which has an out of date Navigation Database.

Malibu310
06-29-09, 06:12 PM
OK -

I went to the dealer and tested a different Caddy just to be sure it was not unique to my system... the other NAV had the same problems - so y'all are in the same boat.

My salesman Alix who told me the CTS-V took regular gas and that the NAV was updated continually through the OnStar link (at least when he told me the car was red I believed him) was wrong again! He said that once every 5 years Cadillac updates the mapping - can't be right. If it were than the streets missing that are at least 7 years old would show up...

5 years to update... hell, if Obama's zillion dollars to redo our infrastructure pan out we will have quite a few new streets that won't be on the map by then! Of course gas will drive up to $10 a gallon to pay for the infrastructure stimulus programs so we will have traded in for that cool electric Caddy by then, and just maybe it will have some updated streets!

Just ranting I guess.

vperl
06-29-09, 11:33 PM
OK -

I went to the dealer and tested a different Caddy just to be sure it was not unique to my system... the other NAV had the same problems - so y'all are in the same boat.

My salesman Alix who told me the CTS-V took regular gas and that the NAV was updated continually through the OnStar link (at least when he told me the car was red I believed him) was wrong again! He said that once every 5 years Cadillac updates the mapping - can't be right. If it were than the streets missing that are at least 7 years old would show up...

5 years to update... hell, if Obama's zillion dollars to redo our infrastructure pan out we will have quite a few new streets that won't be on the map by then! Of course gas will drive up to $10 a gallon to pay for the infrastructure stimulus programs so we will have traded in for that cool electric Caddy by then, and just maybe it will have some updated streets!

Just ranting I guess.

Name the dealership

Spread the word, avoid at all costs

marktanner
06-30-09, 02:36 AM
As I stated before, the DVD is updated once a year, uses Mapquest as the database, and is unfortunately not as up-to-date as it should be. Here in Atlanta, they closed two downtown exits from the highway two months after I bought my '08. I called Cadillac to get an updated disc, and was told that it wouldn't be available until the fall. Then I found out it was $200. I didn't update in the fall. Now my new V, which has the most current updates, still doesn't know this important change, which has been in place for more than a year, and is scheduled to continue for another year! Guess what. Mapquest doesn't know it either! I have a friend that has been living in his house four years. The street is not in the database still. He knows of no Nav system that has his street yet! I used Onstar to get there, and sometimes they can't even use turn by turn and had to do an audio recording of the directions instead. From what I can tell, Onstar is the most up to date of anyone. Many of the points of interest are out of date too, but they get all of this from Mapquest. Blame them, but don't expect truly up to date maps, etc, with the current state of the art. And don't expect the next update to fix everything, because it seems to take a few years.

vperl
06-30-09, 02:49 AM
Probably the reason I have not had any problems is that I ask OnStar for " Download Destinations " these seem to be the most up-to date. I also, use OnStar to find things like gas stations restaurants, and specialty shops or what ever and they give me a " Download Destination "

If you have no Nav system and you can get OnStar to send you " Turn by Turn Directions" that show up in the DIC
I'm sure most all know this, but do not use it...

SlvrBullIT
06-30-09, 03:04 AM
As a former network engineer and C# developer for a GPS asset tracking company I can tell you, inaccurate MAPS are not a Cadillac problem. Our company got map data from multiple sources, LeadDog, Navteq etc. Even mighty google doesn't have its own mapping, look carefully at the bottom of the google maps and you will usually see where they got it from. Even the cars going around doing street view.....guess what...those are not google cars. It just depends how often those mapping companies update their stuff and make it available to other integrators will you see an accurate map representation.

1BlackCTS
06-30-09, 08:59 PM
It asks for a control # ... what is that?

Thanks in advance

1BlackCTS
07-03-09, 06:12 PM
Does anyone not respond to questions asked..... IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE????

mik2718
07-03-09, 06:30 PM
It asks for a control # ... what is that?

"What" is asking for a control #? Are you trying to install an update DVD?

Titaniumseeker
07-08-09, 11:03 PM

+1...:yup:

1BlackCTS
07-09-09, 09:35 PM
"What" is asking for a control #? Are you trying to install an update DVD?

Trying to get one and install it.

marktanner
07-10-09, 12:15 AM
Don't bother updating until the fall. As I stated earlier, they only update once a year, in the fall, and they charge $200 for it. All V's have the most current database, because they were all built during September or later. If there is a software update, that will be free under warranty; your dealer can tell you if you need one. There are no database updates on those discs. I know because I had a software update on my '08 earlier this year, and there were NO database changes (it DID work better, however). After September, you can check Mapquest to see if the changes you desire are in the database, or check out a car at the dealership built after September to see if there are meaningful changes before spending the $200.

vperl
07-10-09, 09:04 PM
the NAV people at GM, basically told me screw you, in the fall if there is an update it will cost you 200 bucks, and we don't care you had the car for 6 months and the maps are out of date

vperl
07-13-09, 01:12 AM
the NAV people at GM, basically told me screw you, in the fall if there is an update it will cost you 200 bucks, and we don't care you had the car for 6 months and the maps are out of date

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

if you have any problems with the on board NAV push the OnStar blue button tell them where you want to go, ask for a "DESTINATION DOWNLOAD "

if you travel to this location more than once save the download.....

nice deal