: hissing noise

Lazarus_Rooney
06-27-09, 12:43 AM
ive noticed a noise thats more annoying that worrying. when i put my car in gear theres a hissing noise coming from behind the dashboard. when the car is in park or neutral, it stops. i have no clue what it could be. anyone have some ideas?

RocketFast321
06-28-09, 12:22 AM
is the auto parking brake release operated by vacuum?

gornati
06-28-09, 09:04 AM
this is the system wich disengage the parking brake when you take the car from P to D or R..
Probably yours is not working.
under the dash, follow the vacuum lines, probably there is a leak or a disconnected end.

sven914
06-28-09, 10:06 AM
Yes; the parking brake is disengaged via engine vacuum when the transmission is shifted out of park or neutral. Check for proper operation of the parking brake. If it does not work properly, check for damaged or lose hoses at the parking brake vacuum cylinder, the vacuum release valve (mounted on the steering column), and at the engine manifold source.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-28-09, 02:04 PM
NOTE: DO NOT push all the way down on the parking brake if you rarely use it. Chances that it will come back up are very slim. If it gets stuck down you will have on hell of a time getting the back rotors off.

jey
06-29-09, 03:08 PM
The manual shows a manual release lever for the parking brake in case of lack of vaccuum pressure. You don't have to tear into your rear brakes...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-29-09, 03:58 PM
No, the cable rusts. It is extremely common if the parking brake is rarely used. You will apply the brakes and then the cable and other mechanisms under the car gets stuck and your parking brakes will not release. Trust me, I have had to bash off many brake drums with sledge hammers, its not fun.